DVDVR Message Board

WWE Fast Lane

Phil Schneider

Oh, one more thing.  Reigns vs. Bryan was a really damn good match. Great finish. Reigns' forearm shots were nasty. Bryan's countering was awesome. I still can't buy Reigns against Lesnar though.  :lol:

Well, there's always "Lesnar goes over, Rollins cashes in, Reigns chases Rollins into the Summer"...it's a long shot but hey it could happen...

Dude, do you honestly believe Reigns ain't walking out with the belt clean?  Vince has already come this far.

• Like 1

To build Lesnar up the way they have only to have his title reign lead to a lame cash-in would be too stupid for words. Especially to a glorified midcarder like Rollins. If he cashes in, it'll be a Ronnie Garvin situation where it doesn't seem like such a bad idea until you see him with the belt and then you're like "Oh, shit."

Brock losing to a spear would be laughable.

Brock losing to an actual spear piercing his body would be laughable.  He would just grab you and impale you on the other end and wear you around the rest of the evening.

Didn't Jason kill someone in this fashion?  Yes, I'm comparing Brock to horror movie characters because they wouldn't job to a spear either..

To build Lesnar up the way they have only to have his title reign lead to a lame cash-in would be too stupid for words. Especially to a glorified midcarder like Rollins. If he cashes in, it'll be a Ronnie Garvin situation where it doesn't seem like such a bad idea until you see him with the belt and then you're like "Oh, shit."

Garvin was pretty damn talented though. Starrcade '87 was a great match and I bought Garvin against Flair 100%.  Well, after the fact.. I didn't see it live or anything. Still, I have a hard time believing Reigns against Lesnar.  It doesn't feel right.  A spear? really?  He will need more than that. Like an M-16 maybe. Or a tank. Maybe a fighter jet.

So hey this was a card full of misfires up to the last two matches. Aside from the big segments, both of which I thought were basically perfect for what they were looking to accomplish.

Opening six man tag somehow managed to pick the worst possible guys to work the bulk of the match, leading to a terrible affair with a few good spots. The finish is just as infuriating because it's actually a great double finisher, except it's Kane and Show teaming to beat Dolph in 2015 to set up Randy Orton killing all the heels. Mediocre match that was super frustrating because it could have been good if Dolph/Rollins were more the focus. Misfire.

The Dusts had a good little match until the botched finish. Sort of a long game feeling out with Goldust holding back and Stardust just trying to rip him apart. I loved the ridiculous number of counters given how well they know each other and the finish would have been great if the ref hadn't screwed it up. Misfire.

Tag Titles felt restrained given the teams. Again, I don't get the heavy push on Tyson when Cesaro is RIGHT THERE and the match was just...weird. Great spots, but the hot tag bit was sloppy and mistimed and the whole match just kind of felt disjointed. No real rhyme or reason and it's like they jammed the tag formula into 3 minutes to set up a 6 minute finishing run. Really brought out the worst in each other and I mean...it was still fun, but not great. Certainly not what it could have been. Misfire.

Paige vs. Nikki...man, it was good for what it was. Nikki's improvement is noticeable and I love her working her way through AJPW tributes. Green and finishing with an elbow last month, yellow with the big powerbomb this month. Orange outfit, Nodawa throwing Nikki Bella can't be far off. Paige is Paige so most of the work was good. But the bottom buckle cradle fumbled and the finish was overly abrupt and with the tights pull being kinda flubbed. Sadly another misfire despite good work.

BNB vs. Dean...man, I called it. Barrett is the guy that Vince keeps pushing because Vince is really into him despite him never really getting all that good in-ring. Great promo, granted, but Wade should really just be a manager/enforcer deal. His moveset is just such a weird hodgepodge that never really fits any of the gimmicks he's done and he doesn't really know how to structure a match. Ambrose helped a lot with that here and it was a decent deal, but Ambrose is another guy who got super hot on his own merits but isn't a WWE guy and thus has an upper limit on the card. Thus we get the horrible compromise between what the fans want and what Vince wants. Terrible. Misfire.

Rusev vs. Cena though...total showsaver. Unsurprisingly, the IWC at large is sleeping on it but this was Rusev's match and his story to tell. Cena is the Ace. He's lost a step or two, but he's still the Ace. Rusev is overconfident because he hasn't really been pushed all that hard so far, but he hasn't faced anyone quite like Cena and it's about 5-7 minutes in when Cena starts cutting off the stuff that usually leads to the end that Rusev starts to realize that he's out of his depth. Most of the time he just has to survive long enough to get the kick and the Accolade, but Cena isn't most guys and as the match goes on you can see Rusev starting to doubt if he can actually get it done. Because as tough as Rusev is, he's never been challenged enough to really have to figure out how to go deep into a match. As it goes longer he keeps getting more and more desperate and it becomes apparent that Cena can survive his stuff and dig deeper. Rusev may be tough enough to survive an STF for a bit or even an AA but he's not sure of it and avoids them desperately, trying to find anything that'll keep Cena down. Superman keeps coming though. Rusev survives each of his bombs once, but he's losing momentum. He gets his opening and finally gets the Accolade but for the first time since he came to the main roster, it doesn't work. So he's forced to cheat. Cena holds up his end by being monster match workrate Cena, but this really is Rusev's match. 

Then the main event...it's great too. Bryan comes in trying to wrestle like it's 2013, but Roman's got all that shit scouted and schools him for trying. So instead Bryan gets makes an opening with the leg and just uses it to break Roman down. Roman manages to work away from it and his leg recovers, but Bryan gets another opening with the stomach kick and since that works better gets right on it instead. From there he uses a combination of good scouting and clever work to stay on top with a good mix of big spots and striking to keep him down. Roman holds tough and uses big power moves to wear Bryan down himself and in the end it comes down to a war of attrition. Very much becomes a case where Bryan has these weapons that would put down Roman in any other match, but this is for the main event of Wrestlemania and Roman will not die. This constant fight to survive leads to Bryan getting frustrated and making his biggest mistake, leaving him open for the Spear which is a silver bullet and easily THE most protected finisher in WWE right now. 

Frustrating show on a lot of levels, but those two top matches were great with some of the best storytelling I've seen on the main roster of WWE in some time. Mixed bag, but great matches are great.

• Like 4

I don't think Jason did the spear kill, but he should. Preferably to Orton.

People saying "it was a two man show!" don't seem to understand what it means to carry someone.

Cena/Rusev was pretty much perfect. Wish this could go somewhere after Mania other than Cena back in the title scene and Rusev's career floundering.

• Like 1

Just watched Cena/Rusev. It was solid, but I thought the timing looked a bit off between the two. Rusev continues to be great in general, though. I hope he gets a WWE title run at some point this year. 

The two main matches and the tag title match weren't bad. The Cena match made me really want to see Rusev vs Kevin Owens. I'm glad Reigns won cause if he lost, the Rumble would be more worthless than it already is. Some god awful officiating and agent work tonight with those finishes. They should just bring Drake up and have him and lil Naitch ref every match. I'm not that invested in Mania but I can't wait to see the reactions to some of those matches. Especially the Kane, HHH/Sting and whatever preshow match Bryan gets.

Who's ready for Bryan-Sheamus at Mania?? 

If they've given a decent chunk of time, and (as much of) an adequate story that they can build with 4 or 5 weeks until WrestleMania - I am.

EDIT: Ohmygod guys, Bryan isn't going to get a preshow match. Everyone needs to calm the fuck down, jesus christ.

I actually think they did good work building Daniel vs. Roman both character and motivation wise.

It got better as the weeks went on but a lot of it came out of nowhere and it felt rushed as hell. There's no real consistency with RAW. If they were deadest on having Reigns vs. Lesnar then build to that.. their segment with Heyman on the snowed in RAW was pretty solid. Then they went away from it and muddied the waters with Bryan.  If you are going to put Bryan back into the story only to have him lose to Reigns..  I don't get it. It didn't really help Reigns. Reigns dropped a match to Big Show also. He just isn't coming off as someone who should be going toe to toe with Lesnar.  This whole build up to Mania has no flow.

I really don't know who is doing more to kill my interest in the product: the booking or the constant need to think and say 'Fucking hell, they are not burying DB you stupid fucks. It's not that serious.'

Honestly, hiring him might of been one of the worst moves in recent memory. We get it. Unless he is going out there with a guy his size and working hour long matches that he is winning every last one of those sons of bitches, DB is getting buried because Vince hates him. You don't need to remind the rest of that each segment and match he is involved with.

At least with guys like Eddie and Ye Who Shall Not Be Named, you understood those fucking places on the show.

• Like 1

I actually think they did good work building Daniel vs. Roman both character and motivation wise.

It got better as the weeks went on but a lot of it came out of nowhere and it felt rushed as hell. There's no real consistency with RAW. If they were deadest on having Reigns vs. Lesnar then build to that.. their segment with Heyman on the snowed in RAW was pretty solid. Then they went away from it and muddied the waters with Bryan.  If you are going to put Bryan back into the story only to have him lose to Reigns..  I don't get it. It didn't really help Reigns. Reigns dropped a match to Big Show also. He just isn't coming off as someone who should be going toe to toe with Lesnar.  This whole build up to Mania has no flow.

I think the match tonight helped Reigns. And you saw it at the end where, even though it wasn't hugely popular, they weren't shitting on Reigns' win, either.

Y'know, I know there's no chance it happens, but given how great Bryan is at working from underneath, what would people think about Bryan/Rusev at Mania?

Bryan/Rusev would be great.

I get that they want to make Reigns seem like he can legit take Lesnar, but kicking out of a knee won't do it. If you're dead set on having a guy beat Lesnar, and you book Lesnar to beat 'Taker at WM and then destroy Cena twice, you'd better make sure that you have built up the guy that you want to beat Lesnar to seem unstoppable. 

I feel bad for Reigns. It's not his fault that he's not at that level yet, but he's getting put there anyway. I think this will go over like a worse version of Diesel in '94/'95, but maybe he'll pull it out.