DVDVR Message Board

WWE Fast Lane

Phil Schneider

Well, there was some stuff I enjoyed. The opening 6 man was fun, although why you don't have Orton come out and cost Rollins the match, I have no idea. The Tag Team title match was fantastic. Really fun stuff. I didnt hate Gold vs. Star. Doesn't seem like they have much of a plan moving forward, though. 

The problem with Daniel Bryan is that it seems like no matter what they do, it won't be as good as last year. WRestlemania 30 was as perfectly booked as you'll ever see, and I don't think trying to re-create it a year later is the right thing to do. I understand why Reigns is going to Mania. I don't agree, but I get it. He looked good tonight, although his dance partner might have had something to do with that.

Vince's troll booking is hilarious it makes reading the post show reactions worth it. I can honestly say I don't give one single shit about anything at Mania other than the crowd reaction for the main event. It kind of feels like the worst possible show given the talent they have.

Oh well at least there's still NXT.

• Like 7

Eden botched two announcements tonight, "Still...the new Tag Team Champions" for Cesaro/Kidd and calling Nikki the Women's Champion. Also some of the crowd members near ringside were damn annoying.

Matches weren't bad. I was conflicted having Barrett/Ambrose fight each other as those are my #1 and #2 guys, and that no finish resolved nothing and guaranteed they're going to have at least one more match.

Also, Rusev winning via the low blow completely made the entire Cena/Rusev feud complete freaking toothless. Chickenshit booking.

That was heel booking 101, no issue with that finish.  The 6 Man, the IC, and the Diva's finishes were all shit.  Everything else was solidly in Good.

• Like 2

I didn't watch the show, but I'll check out Cena/Rusev at some point.

I might watch WrestleMania just to see the crowd turn on the show for four hours. That might be perversely fun. 

When I read about how D-Bry's being booked, I feel like I'm looking into Sami Zayn's exact future. 

I only saw the main and it was pretty darn good.  I do think that maybe they need to turn Reigns full heel by Mania.  If they're expecting him to ride off into the sunset with a huge babyface, hero reaction at the end of Mania, they have another thing coming. 

To me, now Mania doesn't seem very interesting with the card they have going.  I already know Reigns is winning, even if Brock is staying.  I have no interest in Bray/Taker, whatsoever.  Broken, oldman Taker vs. a guy who couldn't have a decent match with Ambrose, no thanks.  Rusev/Cena sounds like Cena is winning, especially after tonight.  Sting/HHH sounds good just for nostalgia and me wanting to see Sting at Mania.  Orton/Rollins sounds like it'll be solid even though I don't find Orton exciting much.  I'm curious to see where Bryan is after all this.

• Like 1

Well, tonight confirmed that even after his long layoff, Daniel Bryan is still the best professional wrestler in North America. 

I guess we know now how to work a good match with Reigns.  Work him like you're a NJPW heel and injure him and then torture the injury and let him spread his four moves out across four different comebacks and counters.

• Like 3

Also, Rusev winning via the low blow completely made the entire Cena/Rusev feud complete freaking toothless. Chickenshit booking.

That was heel booking 101, no issue with that finish.  The 6 Man, the IC, and the Diva's finishes were all shit.  Everything else was solidly in Good.
I'd bullshit because the angle they are trying to push is Cena showing he's still got what it takes to hang with the young guy, with a good deal of Rocky 4 in as well. The point should be that Rusev found a way to beat the man clean, and thus setting up actual questions on if he can hold up to Rusev. With the cheating, it's just every damned Cena feud ever. It took it from interesting feud to typical Cena bullshit in 5 seconds.

I don't know about the toothlessness. Cena's had very few pass out losses in his career, certainly not recently. Rusev's sort of a different beast. He's not just a monster. He sells way too much for that and has this savvy to him. He's not Yokozuna or Kamala or Umaga. He's more like Borga or Koslov but even that's not accurate. They were soldiers, warriors. There's something beady-eyed about him. He's not Oddjob or Jaws. He's one of those post-soviet assassins that they send after Jason Bourne mixed with sort of a character out of an old pulp from the 30s, that sort of clever savage lurking in the shadows. He's unknowable but aware. Monstrous but more human than we'd like to admit. 

• Like 6

Thought there were too many weak finishes to otherwise decent or more matches. Really liked Cena/Rusev, and Reigns/Bryan was fantastic. I still kind of want Reigns to lose though as I want to see him and Bryan chase Brock for a while.

I had too much going on during the first part of the PPV.

Woman's match was a well-worked match in an absolutely dead division. This is what you get for years of not trying or caring. The NXT Women are great but the WWE audience (which still does the "WHAT!" chants) needs some major reprogramming. It's not happening.

Ambrose/Barrett was a good, stiff match. The end was crap but I'm guessing the WM rematch ends up with a stipulation of sorts.

CenaRusev was AWESOME. Cena put Rusev over huge -- dude kicked out of the AA and crawled out of the STFU. That ending is exactly the right thing to do to set up a rematch. Cena could not beat Rusev. But Rusev could not beat him without kicking him in the groin. Cena doubts if he can get the job done but finally breaks the Accolade and pins Rusev at WM in the match to pop Cena fans and the kids. Perfect.

That main event was awesome. Hardly a one man show. Two dudes beating the hell out of each other and in different ways. Reigns relied on his strength and size and athleticism. Bryan revolved around his fighting spirit, precision and technical prowess. They played up a great style clash. I think the WM Main Event is going to be really friggin' good.

Well, tonight confirmed that even after his long layoff, Daniel Bryan is still the best professional wrestler in North America.

I guess we know now how to work a good match with Reigns.  Work him like you're a NJPW heel and injure him and then torture the injury and let him spread his four moves out across four different comebacks and counters.

Also, just let him forearm/elbow people in the face. Those rule.

There's something awseome about how Rusev lands big moves.  When his body hit after that FU it looked like it just splatted and you'd have to scrape him off the mat with a spatula.

I wonder if Brock will give them the time to work out sequences with Roman the way Bryan clearly did.  There were some nice reversals in there that they must have worked on a lot.

I didn't mind how that played out. Rusev got out of the STF twice and he kicked out of the Attitude Adjustment. I never felt Rusev was going to lose. The low blow was a cheap shot but Rusev still looked really strong.

I don't even care that much that Reigns won. I never thought we'd have Lesnar vs. Bryan which is unfortunate. My one thing about it though is that I don't buy Reigns as a no-selling ass-kicking kind of dude against Lesnar.  Brock should probably squash him but we know Reigns is probably winning.. how do they get there without it looking ridiculous?  Brock is a fucking monster and Reigns has nothing that should be able to keep him down.

Solid show. Crowd sucked.  This WrestleMania card... wow..  not good on paper.  Very low expectations.