DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

This was my favorite Boxing moment of the weekend and from all places it comes from Golden Boy Live. The announcers on the FS broadcast were talking about how the tubby man from Missouri thought the Great Wall from China was slow and he would have no problem in the fight. Then this happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUgyw2xUGt4

Lance did a full stretcher job complete with neck brace. These bookers really know how to put over new talent. Wait boxing is real?!?!?!?

I wasn't as high on the DeGale/Dirrell fight but it certainly wasn't painstaking to watch. It was kind of hard to top the steller FNF show with three knockouts and the clip above which I watched before the PBC card.

Totally off topic, but Tapia/Ayala I just popped into my head.  Probably my favorite ever "no one talks about this fight" fight.  One of the few times where there was legit hate in the ring, and they fought like they hated each other.

Carl Frampton signed with Al Haymon. So are we closer to a fight with Leo Santa Cruz (after LSC fight mandatory Hugo Ruiz) or does this just give Scott Quigg an out for not fighting Frampton?

What a fun ass fight between Khan and Algieri.  A little surprised that Khan got a little stronger later in the fight.  If Algieri had any kind of power, I think he would have dropped Khan with a couple of those shots early in the fight.

Amir Khan is so susceptible to the overhand right that it should be a priority to set that punch up every round. His style puts him at risk everytime even against non-punchers like Algieri.

Oscar De La Hoya said he would fight GGG if he decided to make a comeback.  Must be easier ways to commit suicide

Is Shanna Moakler fucking De La Hoya's agent?

You know they really need to stop putting these Taishan fights on T.V. they are more set up than Mark Gastineaus boxing career

Well, when they started showing Taishan fights, they had the option to show real prospects instead in that slot. Not so much now when Al Haymon/whomever has the promoter's license for Al Haymon has cut a huge chunk out of their roster. Plus, they've split up the remaining talent between Golden Boy Live! and LA Fight Club. So they either have the choice to show Taishan or some 3-0 guy nobody has ever heard of from SoCal. Even though the latter is what those shows were founded on, the former is what you go with when you're even struggling for half decent ratings.

Seeing some posts that Frank Cappucino has passed away.

I remember him from my childhood watching late-night boxing with my mom.  "Are your referee this evening...Franl Cappoo-CHEE-no."  I don't remember how good of a referee he was, which is a good thing for refereeing.

And just like that:

Dan Rafael ‏@danrafaelespn 10m

I'm told Haymon PBC deal w/ Fox is set & begins this summer. No coincidence Golden Boy 7/2 LA Fight Club show is on Fox Deportes but no FS1.

Seeing some posts that Frank Cappucino has passed away.

I remember him from my childhood watching late-night boxing with my mom.  "Are your referee this evening...Franl Cappoo-CHEE-no."  I don't remember how good of a referee he was, which is a good thing for refereeing.

I liked Cappucino he would give it back to the cornermen if they were complaining to him.  Just felt bad when he was working a heavyweight fight.  Dude looked all of 5'5"

It's like Mayweather taught Broner how to do all of the annoying things Floyd does, but without any of the skill.  Porter SHOULD have this one, but I would not be shocked if there is a sketchy decision here.

• Like 1

I think if it were worked, Broner would have won.  I'd like to think we're done with the whole Broner experiment now.  Dude just doesn't have it to be a top guy.  I was super impressed with Spence Jr tonight, even though he fought a really low level guy. His skill set looked superb, and I'm a sucker for body work.

Ward soundly beat Paul Smith and made his corner throw in the towel in the 9th. He looked rusty in spots, but it ultimately didn't matter. He hurt him a couple times and then jumped on him right away. Hope he stays active after this.