DVDVR Message Board

2015 Indy Lucha Libre Matches of Note

thecubsfan

BTJr grabbed most of the show & in full unlike some of these YouTube vids. Rush/Hechicero went just over 12 minutes. I thought it was fine but not the type of match I wanted. I wanted brawling vs technical and instead they just did the 3rd fall of any CMLL singles match. Seemed to lack intensity from Rush's part which was odd because Rush was HATED by the crowd and he usually feeds off that.

The rest of the show though is an early show of the year candidate from me. Aramis/Wasson was excellent. 4 way with Imposible/Dinamic/Bala/Wotan was very good. The 10 man mask/hair match was just absolute insanity, the likes of which even I had trouble digesting. That dive sequence was SCARY. Shocked nobody got seriously hurt. They overkilled the finish for me with all the piledrivers but it's indy lucha... you gotta live with that shit. The best match of course was...

Volador Jr./Titan vs Flamita/Bestia 666

Was actually considering going live just for this but in the end the price just didn't add up to only stay 2 days. My friends went and loved it so now I regret it. This was 70% Volador/Flamita showdowns with Titan/Bestia just playing supporting roles which was fine b/c Bestia didn't seem too into doing anything. The Volador/Flamita stuff was killer. Red hot crowd much like the Fenix/Flamita interactions from 1/1 but without the match falling apart due to unprofessionalism. BTJr got great shots of Volador superkicking Flamita over and over. Loved the striking exchange they had and great nearfall on the double Valagueza spot. Just seeing these guys in the ring together was such a joy. Could watch them wrestle every day.

So hyped for Volador Jr. vs Flamita on 6/14! Could top the much raved about Flamita/Rey Horus match from Chilanga Mask on 5/16.

• 2 weeks later...

Volador Jr. vs Flamita - CaraLucha 6/14

Man oh man. One of my favorite matches this year! Just two guys throwing BOMBS at each other. Flamita trying to forearm the snot out of Volador while Volador tries to decapitate Flamita over and over with superkicks. So many fast creative exchanges and big dives from Flamita. They actually worked his knee early on and had an unintentional moment tie into that story when Flamita went for a dive but slipped on the wet mat and took a real nasty fall outside. You could tie that into the knee deal but clearly it wasn't planned since after he recovered he did another dive to make up for it. Loved the spot where Volador went for his corner kick and Flamita just caught his foot like NO FUCKER, YOU AREN'T GONNA KICK ME! Of course later Volador gets the spot in for a two. They did the new trend of doing one big move after another and then again until they both collapse which seems to be over with this type of crowd. Lots of awesome nearfalls. The somersault into a sunset flip into a missed kick into a missed knee into a superkick for a nearfall sequence was ridiculously awesome. At the end it turns into a war of the Flame Fly vs the Backcracker and the Flame Fly gets the shocking win. Crowd was super into the entire match but the finish didn't get a huge reaction because nobody saw Flamita as having a chance in hell of a winning.

CaraLucha is probably the promotion of the year.

So far I've also gotten through Flyer/Aramis which was indyrific as hell but had fun moments & the Turtles vs Kriminal Stars match which was a million moves crammed into 12 minutes but they hit everything & everyone was having an on night so I thought it was fun aside from the stupid double Canadian Destroyer/Package Piledriver spot that got a 1 count. TOO INDYRIFIC FOR EVEN ME! Hope the Neza Kings match makes it somewhere in full because that looked insane in highlight form.

Thank you for the compliment. I feel the need to step up my game recently with all these wackjobs out there whining and bitching about guys "doing too much" or "doing dangerous moves for no reason". What is that nonsense? Is that even English? It doesn't compute with me.

I do find it humorous to see people making those types of comments after watching WWE programming though. I think a Ninja Turtles match from CaraLucha would break their brains if they ever came across one.

Black Terry/Dragon Celestial/Aeroman vs Eterno/Atomic Star/Aramis - 6/10/15 IWRG

Honestly the first match of the year I've seen in IWRG I'd rate close to great. Great brawl with Terry taking the lead for his team. Lots of guys bleeding mixed in with the flyers doing crazy highspots at the end of each fall. Even got some chair throwing in the middle which is always fun. Third fall had a sunset flip bomb to the floor countered into eventually a Spanish Fly to the floor which is the apex of Bihari dream spots! Eterno fouls Terry so Atomic Star can cover for the win. This feud could be great if they keep it going. I much prefer watching Terry work with youngsters.

• 2 months later...

8/16 Chilanga Mask thoughts:

• Opener was rough, though Rey Apocalipsis tried his best to hold it together.
  • Virus vs. Cerebro was magnificent. Even better than anticipated. I’m in awe of how smart both guys are in the ring.
  • Belial is a nasty little fucker. If I were running a Mexican super indy, he would be my Speedball Mike Bailey. The match was really cool, but the wrong guys finished it out.
  • Panther vs. Trauma II was solid. Might have been a MOTNC on a weaker card.
  • Maya Sr. vs. Maya Jr. was an awesome bloodbath. Terry headbutts his son like he just found out he dented the car. Brutal stuff. I loved the visual at the end with both guys bleeding and on their knees laying into each other.
  • Hechicero & UG vs. Caifan & Avisman was another excellent match. The pacing kind of felt like a usual 2/3 falls, but you didn’t have to deal with all the starting and stopping. UG is having a really good year and I hope this leads to singles match with Caifan.
  • Skipped the Pagano and women’s match, but even so this is the best card we’ve seen this year. There's no good reason why anyone would want to miss out on a show with 3 MOTYC.

Having both Cerebro/Virus & Panther/Trauma II on the same show seems unfair. The latter was ONLY great while the former was magnificent as Matt said.

Thought the show was super. Great mix of styles & well booked so if I went live I could have left before the main event and made it to Arena Mexico! :P

Zeuxis/Keira was actually real good & had one of the more sicker finishes you'll see.

The UG tag & Cerebro/Virus are both real high end matches. Maya/Maya Jr was right up there too but I can't say I was enthralled by that finish.

The four way trios was pure chaos.

Overall probably the best Chilanga Mask show I've seen.

Having both Cerebro/Virus & Panther/Trauma II on the same show seems unfair. The latter was ONLY great while the former was magnificent as Matt said.

Those are exactly my thoughts on Panther/Trauma II, actually. On any other card, it probably would have shined, but it had to compare with what had come before. I'm writing it up more for Wednesday, but there were cracks I probably wouldn't have even noticed or thought anything of if I didn't have the smoothness of Cerebro/Virus on my mind.

Can someone tell me why GM, Sr/Terry was wrestling GM, Jr.? Especially with such vitriol? What's the storyline there? Thanks.

they've been feuding for years on the indies going back to when Guerrero Maya Jr. was Multifacetico in IWRG. That's about it.

I'm kinda amused how many people still think they are father/son. I think Maya Jr. gets asked about that relationship and about how many Multifaceticos there have been all the time.

Can someone tell me why GM, Sr/Terry was wrestling GM, Jr.? Especially with such vitriol? What's the storyline there? Thanks.

they've been feuding for years on the indies going back to when Guerrero Maya Jr. was Multifacetico in IWRG. That's about it.

I'm kinda amused how many people still think they are father/son. I think Maya Jr. gets asked about that relationship and about how many Multifaceticos there have been all the time.

Even Wiki says that (though not luchawiki of course).

• 1 month later...

Centvrion/Latigo vs Mr. Leo/Fly Warrior from CaraLucha 9/16 is top notch one of the best indy matches I've seen this year They absolutely killed it.

From this past weekend Centvrion/Latigo/Fly Warrior vs Magnificos/Metaleon from this past weekend was ALMOST as good. Just almost because Fly Warrior/Metaleon had a rough exchange early on. Centvrion has turned into a great all around wrestler and turned himself from a flyer into a great base. I need this crew to keep being paired up.

• 1 month later...