DVDVR Message Board

2015 Indy Lucha Libre Matches of Note

thecubsfan

I find it hard to keep track of all the indy matches I should be watching. Maybe you too? Maybe I can start a thread and it'll be easier to find recommendations after the fact.

I'm kind of thinking this more as the not-TV stuff, because that fits more in the weekly threads we've started. This is for everything else - the CaraLucha/ChilangaMask level promotions who running a dozen or two shows a year down to the random good match that takes me an hour to figure out the date. All that stuff gets lost in the mix by the end of the year, so maybe if we mention it in this thread, I can put the best stuff up top and then it'll be easier to share later on?

A lot of this might just be "was [x] match any good?" - if we can get answers to that without me needing to watch everything, that'd be good.

(and so I'll leave this space blank)

Flamita/Skyman/Hijo De Fishman vs Fenix/Pentagon Jr./Hijo Del Fantasma - CaraLucha 1/1/15

Ultimo Guerrero/Hechicero/Magnifico I vs Negro Navarro/Trauma I/Trauma II - CaraLucha 1/31/15

Aero Boy/Flamita vs Dragon Lee/The Panther - CaraLucha 1/31/15

Freelance/Mike Segura vs Rayo Star/Skyman vs Guerrero Mixtico/Andy Boy - ILLM 2/7/15

Negro Casas vs Fuerza Guerrera - ALL ELITE 2/8/15

Dr. Wagner Jr./La Sombra vs LA Park/Volador Jr. - ALL ELITE 2/8/15

Lets get some chatter up, rather then just drop lists of matches, come on Rob I know you have stuff to say :)

Here is my SC review of the 

Ultimo Guerrero/Hechicero/Magnifico I vs Negro Navarro/Trauma I/Trauma II - CaraLucha 1/31/15

Awesome match, probably the best Dinanista Navarro trios since the Terry/Cerebro series. Ultimo Guerrero continues to be a revelation in these Maestro style matches, the opening section has Guerrero and T2 just tearing it up on the mat, violent looking and explosive some of the better lucha submission stuff I have seen in recent years. The brief exchanges between Navarro and Hechicero were as great as ever and Magnifico was fine in his fill in role. Still this was focused on Trauma 2 v. Ultimo, that was a match I had never thought about before, but it is high on my dream match scale now, finish run had those two getting a little violent with each other and it was pretty boss. First BTJR. gem of 2015.

Aero Boy/Flamita vs Dragon Lee/The Panther - CaraLucha 1/31/15

This was a juniors workrate tag, kind of like you would see in PWG or NJ. That really isn't my kind of lucha, but allot of the execution was good. Really like the CMLL team, both guys are super talented. 

It's hard enough to write stuff but to do it again? I'll just paste what I wrote in my blog. I still need to see the Chilanga Mask matches from the last show and recent show.

Ultimo Guerrero/Hechicero/Magnifico I vs Negro Navarro/Traumas I y II: Fantastic match. Tim Cooke called it "very good" but I'll go as far as excellent. Even though I just said fantastic. I have no idea what my own scale is. The match was centered around Ultimo Guerrero vs Trauma II which is fine by me. They both brought it and the crowd was really into seeing that match-up. The Hechicero/Navarro stuff was great too and I especially loved when Hechicero did Navarro's own kip-up spot three times in a row to mock him. But Navarro got his revenge with this wacky submission I've never seen before to take the second fall. It would have been nice to see Magnifico get to do something as he's actaully good but he was a fish out of water involved in this match and largely ignored. Only thing this match could have used was a longer 3rd fall as it seemed they just decided to wrap it up as quick as possible after going long in the first two falls. Probably ends up on the edge of being a MOTYC. Depends how the rest of the year goes as no bar is set yet.

Flamita & Aero Boy vs Dragon Lee & The Panther: Fucking loved this. FUCKING. LOVED. THIS. There was this one Flamita/Dragon Lee exchange where my mouth was just hanging open. This wasn't the Fenix/Flamita beating the shit out of each other style match but instead worked more like a Dragon Gate back-and-forth match where guys were doing moves and countering each other's moves. For example Aero Boy countering the Tree of Woe double stomp with a belly-to-belly suplex off the top which was crazy! Crowd was cold to the CMLL guys early on and the CMLL guys didn't help by having negative charisma but it picked up later on when the crowd stopped chanting against the CMLL guys and got into the match being great. Will surely end up a MOTYC for me and I will legit cry if we don't get Dragon Lee vs Flamita before Flamita becomes an official AAA guy and the match can't happen.

Freelance/Mike Segura vs Rayo Star/Skyman vs Andy Boy/Guerrero Mixtico - 2/7/15: Super fun match! Always nice to see Guerrero Mixtico in action and he delivered here with a couple great spots and his usual fun basing including catching a springboard Dragon Rana by Rayo Star and turning it into a Code Red basically all on his own as Rayo looked to be dead-weighting him. Skyman looked better than he did on the CaraLuchas show. Freelance & Segura even looked better than they did on the OTHER CaraLuchas show. The highlight was Freelance/Mixtico getting to work together. I'm happy to see the cheap finish may be setting up a straight up Freelance/Segura vs Andy Boy/Mixtico tag match on the next show. If there is a god (or if AAA keeps taking ideas straight from my brain) Guerrero Mixtico finds his way into an AAA random opener this year and gets a role to work matches against their young flyers.

Makabre/Rayman mask match (02/15/2015, Arena Jalisco)part 1, part 2

Rayman looked good in TxT (which meant they never did anything with him) and I'd been hearing about this match for weeks. Makabre has does a lot of hardcore matches so I wasn't sure I would actually like this but it seemed worth a try. This match did just about start off with a long section Makabre dominating with chair shots and long choke, a bit too long for my patience. It got better once Rayman finally turned things around, though going from chair shots to doing big moves for 2 counts felt random. Not sure if the handspring rolling cutter spot actually worked either way time they tried it, but other stuff looked better. The last half of this match was stronger than the first half, with the bigger spots looking better and more drama in the near falls. This was Makabre's match (though the crowd was remarkable split), so having him nearly win on his big spinning DDT on to chairs and then lose trying the same move again worked out well as a story. Not one you need to go out of your way to see, but it was good enough for the occasion. 

Does IWRG count?

Aramis vs Black Angel vs Dragon Black vs Alas De Acero vs Voltar - FIVE MATCH FIGHTERS 2/8/15

WHAT. IN. THE. FUCK. These guys clearly spent significant time putting this together and memorizing everything which I have no problem with at all because THIS RULED! Five young guys trying to make names for themselves on a rookie show and I'd like to say it worked because halfway through the match I realized I once saw Aramis live in Coacalco! Way too many crazy spots to go through including a never seen before rope trick rana by Voltar & oodles of dives both onto people and straight onto the concrete. Loved that just when you thought things were winding down at the end they went into elimination mode where each guy took a death bump to eliminate themselves leaving the final two guys to hit their big spot and end things. This wasn't the best match of the week... and actually it wasn't the funnest either b/c CMLL FOX had that incredible trios titles match but holy crap this was such a blast to watch and IWRG is such shit this year I have a feeling it won't be topped for quite a while. I need more FIVE MATCH FIGHTERS matches in my life.

God bless IWRG rookie shows & especially Cubsfan for recording them.

Aramis vs Black Angel vs Dragon Black vs Alas De Acero vs Voltar - FIVE MATCH FIGHTERS 2/8/15

Fun match in a Beyond wrestling scramble kind of way. 3 things hit for every one thing botched which is a pretty good ratio for these kind of matches. Some of the springboard stuff by Voltar was pretty tricky. Don't know if anyone else leaped out at me, but it was a fun 12 minutes

• 1 month later...

Eterno/Trauma 1/2 v. Rush/La Sombra/La Mascara Caralucha 3/29

Got this from Black Terry Jr. Pretty disappointing match, I really dug the first match with these two teams, and was expecting the Revancha to ramp it up a bit, but this felt a little toned down. Never had that out of control WARIsh vibe of the first match, and was much more Ingobernables shtick, and less ass kicking. It actually felt like this was the first match, and the earlier match was the crazy revancha.

Skyman vs Rayo Star from 3/29 CaraLucha was pretty awesome and lived up to the hype. Basically two best friends just trying to have the match they've always dreamed of. I was super impressed they didn't use a single Canadian Destroyer and even built up to the usual jumping off a high place spot but instead Skyman just lept off a balcony from maybe 10 feet up. The best thing was it got a huge reaction proving you can jump from 10 or 30 feet and it's no difference to the fans - might as well go the easier route. Doubt any luchadors watching will pick up on that though. They did a Spanish Fly on the floor spot so the 3rd fall ended in a draw but both demanded a 4th fall. Finish was a bit botched but I kind of liked it that way because it really made the match seem like a war which it was. I'd put it on the high end of CaraLucha matches this year.

Hechicero/Belial vs Okumura/Centurion vs Skyde/Fly Star vs Valiente/Fly Warrior- XMW 3/21

This was a really, really fun multiman match. No one is going to mistake it for classic Michinoku Pro, but if you're looking for a match with slick matwork, Futen levels of stiffness and nutty dives, they don't get much better than this. There was really nice contrast here between the maestros and the young spot monkeys that gave a little something for everyone to enjoy. It's just too bad they couldn't get anyone else from CMLL besides Okumura, as he was the only guy here who actively stunk up the joint. I do have some mixed feelings about the finish where Fly Warrior drops a top rope double stomp to Belial's trachea. Not the best week to be breaking out life threating spots. This was still a pretty great match, warts in all. Highly recommended.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Miike vs Rafi vs Leo - CaraLucha 5/2

The battle of the Ninja Turtles minus Teelo and his broken nose. Loved this. Some really tricked out sequences early on that actually worked unlike the clusterfuck 4 way match that followed this one. Rafi held it together as one would expect. Some brutal moves based around backcrackers and frontcrackers. Match took a turn for the brutal halfway in when a chair got involved and we had bleeding Ninja Turtles everywhere! Ref was not shy about handing the blade around in full view of everyone. Crowd got super into it after Leo & Miike fought back against Rafi beating them up. Cool dives and sick finish. This was everything I wanted it to be except for missing one of my Turtle buddies.

I did & really liked it. Aramis & Iron Kid came to impress and the Indystrongtibles guys gave them a lot. I like Arez, Belial & Impulso except when they wrestle each other because they tend to go crazy and fall into bad habbits. They just want to do their big moves to each other. The Arez & Beliali in AAA were nothing like their indy work.

But the match of that show was Virus vs Avisman. Just a masterful Virus performance. Dragon Lee vs Negro Navarro was fun to watch but I've been down on Navarro from recent Chilanga Mask shows. He doesn't give his opponents anything. The match vs Fulgor was terrible and I know Fulgor was really prepared for that match but Navarro just shut him down and wasn't in the mood to co-operate. Bummer.

Black Terry vs Juana La Loca from Chilanga Mask 4/26 was real good. Seemed like BT was there to sleepwalk through a match but Juana started laying his shit in which caused BT to fight back and it got good. Some nasty headbutts busted both open. Hope they do a rematch.

Thanks. I was thinking about getting that because the highlight video looked so cool, but I'm always concerned about the botch count with matches like that. I'll put it on my purchase list next time.

Atlantis/Ultimo Guerrero v. Rey Hechicero/Fuerza Guerrera Cara Lucha 5/2

Fun match, mainly just to see Fuerza stooge it up, and Hechicero doing a Fuerza tribute act. Some fun mat wrestling in the primera. There were some awkward moments though, and this isn't among your upper tier maestro indy matches, but I did enjoy it

Arez & Belial vs. Iron Kid & Aramis- Chilanga Mask 4/12

Things got off to a clunky start, but it ended up being a blast in the end. I think 10 minutes is the right length for a match like this. I only wish they could’ve tacked on another minute to get in one of Belial’s nasty bullet topes. It’s obvious Arez and Belial are the more polished guys, but Iron Kid and Aramis broke out the cooler stuff like the corkscrew tope from the top rope and the finger stomps into the seated dropkick. And for a guy who would probably be relegated to the mini division in CMLL, Belial is a powerful little suplex machine. Really entertaining stuff all around. If you’re the type to get bent out of shape over no selling, sufficed to say this probably isn’t for you. I for one am always open to some fun crash-and-burn lucha.

Black Terry vs. Juana La Loca- Chilanga Mask 4/26

I love when matches escalate naturally like this. They start off with some sportsmanlike matwork, then Juana tries to sneak in a kiss and all hell breaks loose when Terry cuts him off with the big headbutt. There was some great brawling here. Terry unloads some brutally stiff headbutts and chops and Juana responds in kind by busting him open the hard way. I really wasn’t digging Juana’s unconvincing exotico act early on, but the guy proved himself to be a legit asskicker in the end. These are my favorite kind of Black Terry matches. I hope there's more of them to come.