DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

If Magnum T.A. doesn't have his car accident in 86, what terrible occupation-themed gimmick do you think Vince would have given him when he inevitably signed for a brief run in the late-80s/early-90s? Or would they have just gone all the way with the Magnum P.I. gimmick and given him Hawaiian shirts and a British manservant?

Isn't this similar to Don Muraco's babyface run?

If Magnum T.A. doesn't have his car accident in 86, what terrible occupation-themed gimmick do you think Vince would have given him when he inevitably signed for a brief run in the late-80s/early-90s? Or would they have just gone all the way with the Magnum P.I. gimmick and given him Hawaiian shirts and a British manservant? 

Alfred Hayes as Higgins?

Motorcycle cop. Feud and/or team with Bossman. 

• Like 3

Man, I dunno if Magnum ever would have jumped. 

Dusty really was building up Magnum to be the long-term top babyface of Crockett/WCW.  A guy like Koloff or Flair jumping over to the WWF made sense, because they had a potential huge run against Hogan.  Magnum probably didn't ever have that, because he was too much of a fan favorite to put against Hogan.  Magnum's best potential for a WWF run would have been coming in as a babyface to square off with a heel Savage. 

They would have held off on giving Scott Hall the Razor Ramon gimmick and instead would have brought him and Magnum TA in together as the original Smoking Gunns.

Posted ImagePosted Image

DDP had already changed Hall's look, though.

Man, I dunno if Magnum ever would have jumped. 

Dusty really was building up Magnum to be the long-term top babyface of Crockett/WCW.  A guy like Koloff or Flair jumping over to the WWF made sense, because they had a potential huge run against Hogan.  Magnum probably didn't ever have that, because he was too much of a fan favorite to put against Hogan.  Magnum's best potential for a WWF run would have been coming in as a babyface to square off with a heel Savage. 

I wonder if Magnum were healthy, would he have left with Dusty in 88.

I'm imaging how awesome it would be, yet how the fans probably wouldn't buy it if Dusty goes to WWF, then Flair comes a year later and Dusty cuts a promo about knowing who is he and warning people that Ric Flair is nothing but a snake.  Then you have a Hogan/Dusty vs Brainbusters match and Flair runs in to attack Hogan.  Dusty turns on Hogan and WWF runs an invasion angle without mentioning NWA/WCW.  Then, Vince pisses everyone off by having Hogan down 4-to-1 in a Survivor Series match and coming back to win.

Which makes me wonder if there are any angles that hardcore fans such as those on this forum love but which promotions were justified in pulling the plug on early (or should have) because the fans just weren't buying it.

Which makes me wonder if there are any angles that hardcore fans such as those on this forum love but which promotions were justified in pulling the plug on early (or should have) because the fans just weren't buying it.

Antonio Cesaro as champion of the United States?

Dolph Ziggler: World Champion

Aw, and you got the stink lines and everything...

Posted Image

Sniff....I still love you, Dolph.  I'll always remember you the way you could have been.

• Like 2

I forgot to add in the condition that the angle had to be reasonably executed so that people can't complain that the wrestler was poorly booked, which is a complain that some have about how Ziggler was used.

I wonder if Magnum were healthy, would he have left with Dusty in 88.

I dunno man... you would figure by 88 Magnum would be on top in Crockett, and making big money in main events against Flair & Windham.  Dusty seemed to fall out of favor when Jim Herd tried to reign him in, and Dusty pushed back.  If Magnum hadn't had the accident but everything else pretty much stayed the course, It seems unlikely that Magnum would throw main event money in JCP away for the Steamboat spot. 

Now, can I see WCW trying to psuh Magnum out the same way they pushed Flair and some others out with the gimmickery and lowball contracts a couple years later?  Yeah. 

Come on guys, you can't serve it up to him on a silver platter like that!