DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

Does anyone else remember back when Gabe Sapolsky said he would never book Hero because he didn't look like a pro wrestler? It got everyone all hot and bothered and when Hero did debut, he got over because once he is in the ring he can pretty much do anything. Great comedy stuff, awesome tag work, great heel heat in the CZW feud. Despite his physique, Hero has that it factor that makes you look at him more than someone else. I'm sure Hero will face the exact same journey and criticism in the coming months, and I'm pretty sure he will get over because for all of WWE's faults, they are generally pretty good about letting the cream rise to the top.

Another example of a news story like this being pretty meaningless: HHH and Vince soured on Punk when he got his sleeves done in OVW because they felt it made it harder to come up with a debut gimmick for him. I don't think that ended up having much of an overall effect.

They can't just put him in the Shield?  I'm sure Moxley's physique isn't much better than it was a year ago.

He's actually gotten a bit of definition nowadays.

Evil Trendy Douche Guy that can also knock you out sounds kind of good. We can get vignettes of him foraging for food in urban settings. Flipping through vinyls. Hire Christina Von Eerie to just sit and look disaffected behind him. He can say shit like "John Cena doesn't look grass fed to me. But me? I'm Non-GM-OH-NO."

• Like 2

I'm surprised people are still so worked up about 'WWE wants guys with good physiques' talking point.  I mean, if you went to see the ballet and there was a big fat guy who could do all the moves but looked frikkin' ridiculous in a leotard, it would detract from the show.  If you went to a Strip Club and there was a woman who could do all the similar pole-work and stuff, but weighed 300 lbs, it would likely detract from the show (Unless, you know, that's what you're into...).  If you were watching an action movie with a guy who didn't look either in shape or threatening, it would detract from the film (See 'Abduction').  It's WWE, it's an entertainment medium.  The entertainment medium has always been shallow and visual.  I mean, do you see seventy-eight-year-old women on 'Big Brother'?  Do you see morbidly obese men on 'American Idol'?

Evil Trendy Douche Guy that can also knock you out sounds kind of good. We can get vignettes of him foraging for food in urban settings. Flipping through vinyls. Hire Christina Von Eerie to just sit and look disaffected behind him. He can say shit like "John Cena doesn't look grass fed to me. But me? I'm Non-GM-OH-NO."

Plus, ring gear consisting entirely of clothing bought at Urban Outfitters would solve everything. Cut-off shorts, Toms, vaguely Native-American print tank top, cycling cap? All of the money.

I don't like lifting weights myself Ive tried gone to the gym for two weeks just didnt like it blah blah blah. However if I was a wrestler and working for the WWE I would atleast put halfway effort into lifting weights and being seen in the gym by the brass if it was the deciding factor of me moving from devolpment to national TV.

Hero doesn't have to get all jacked up or anything just time up and not seem all fluby that can't be that hard to do especially if he's already at the gym why not just lift for an hour or so just to shut the office up.

Honestly it shows a lack of commitment to stuffing instead-of potatoes that would likely show up in other aspects were he to get called up.

As one of Punk's friends he's gotta know that this is most likely just testing his commitment.

• Like 1