DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

You actually can blame genetics for "being fat", as you call it. Metabolic rate is inherently genetic. It's not the only factor, sure, but it's a major one. 

You are right Metabolic rate varies between people. However the highest the difference gets is +/- 300 calories and that's at a high end range. That's just eating one less candy bar, bag of chips, etc. It does play a factor but it can be controlled, and at most it will give you a few extra pounds if not accounted for but that difference in metabolic rate will never cause anyone to be obese. 

Source: http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people.html

As someone who is in the process of losing weight and getting in shape, I want to say that I don't think it is too hard to get in shape. It's hard getting the motivation and time to get to the gym and eating healthy is quite hard but the actual stuff in the gym isn't much once you get used to your routine.

You have to be in shape to be a pro wrestler in 2013 unless you happen to be really fat or really tall. There's just no other way around it. It is expected and it's a requirement.

• Like 1

As someone who is in the process of losing weight and getting in shape, I want to say that I don't think it is too hard to get in shape. It's hard getting the motivation and time to get to the gym and eating healthy is quite hard but the actual stuff in the gym isn't much once you get used to your routine.

You have to be in shape to be a pro wrestler in 2013 unless you happen to be really fat or really tall. There's just no other way around it. It is expected and it's a requirement.

Completely agree, and I would think getting a call up to the WWE would be serve as great motivation which is why I doubt these rumors.

However Hero should try to improve his physique, it couldn't hurt. 

The guy IS in shape. He's just not "cut"

The best thing about being fat and out of shape is we will die soon and not have to be around the healthy people. 

Right now it's a race between the cities drowning in the oceans and my lungs drowning in White Castle Cheese-Fry cheese.

I have to win.

• Like 1

Who needs genetics or gym time? Just be a man and get some Polo shirts. Everyone will think you're a stud. Even Chris Hero's Blind Melon lookin' ass.

A million stars for bringing that one back from the dead. I cannot stop laughing.

Based on?

The fact that the casual fans are gone and everyone left seems to love Daniel Bryan.

I kind of love the idea of poor casual fans in the crowd wondering what the heck is going on around them, especially in some of the more bizarro crowds.

The fact that the casual fans are gone and everyone left seems to love Daniel Bryan.

I kind of love the idea of poor casual fans in the crowd wondering what the heck is going on around them, especially in some of the more bizarro crowds.

Bryan is a little ox though, he doesn't look like a fucking hippie.

Well he does, but you know what I mean.

• Like 2

When the next boom hits and wrestling becomes the thing again, there will be no one that I will be happier for than you. Ahead of the god damn curve!

Pro wres needs to appeal to dudes like me. Mark Henry becomes World Champion, SmackDown! ratings go up... so put the fucking WWE title on him.

I've always wondered about athletic commissions. What exactly is their role nowadays related to wrestling? What kind of paperwork does a promotion/wrestler need?

It's always struck me as weird that the athletic commission gets involved in what is essentially a piece of theatre rather than a sporting event.

It really depends on the state.  There aren't many states anymore that require wrestlers to be licensed, but I believe Missouri is one.  Two others are Kentucky and Virginia.  Most of the other states that have commissions only deal with the promoter end of things, with some of the toughest being Oregon & Maryland. 

For the most part, states that have commissions at all have them as remnants from the old days, when there was actual money involved, and wrestling promoters went along with the commissions to help kayfabe - the idea being that wrestling must be legit if it is overseen by the government/elected officials.  Keep in mind, in the old days, the commission helped the established promoters protect their territories, and to run outlaw promotions out of business.  There was no "indy wrestling".  So, as the '90s moved along and states went from having a territory running multiple shows within their borders multiple times a week/month, to the WWF/WCW running a few times a year, most commissions lost their teeth. But then when the late 90s boom period brought about a massive increase in indywrestling, some states still had their commissions in place, and it quickly became a source of revenue with very little work. 

For example, in a state like Pennsylvania, the boxing commission & the wrestling commission are the same thing.  So, they implement a ton of rules on wrestling promoters that make very little sense, but help generate revenue for boxing.  For example, the commission gets 10% of the gate, in addition to a license fee for each show.  If they send a representative to the show, you have to pay them a $200 fee, so they can collect the 10% in person.  You have to have a ringside doctor for the entire card, but he is not required to provide medical treatment, he is only there to "stop the match if one of the competitors is unable to continue".  The doctor's fee is NOT covered by the state, nor are they provided by the state.  Between Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Central PA & Erie events, there are 5-10 wrestling events these fees are collected for every week.  On the flip side, the commission pays for and provides boxing referees, judges, and medical personel, with only 4-5 professional boxing events each year. 

Ohio is a very hands-off commission - they require promoters to be licensed, and to obtain license for each event, as well as having a surety bond & spectator insurance.  The OAC often published information regarding shows in the state, and often they will grant show licenses to folks without promoters licenses, or licensed promoters will not obtain show licenses.  The commission has made it clear that they do not even want to deal with wrestling, and they want the wrestlers to patrol the business themselves.  However, unless the state legislature grants them a bigger budget or abolishes the commission, they can't really do anything either way. 

Really, there is no clear answer.  A commission doesn't weed out the crap, it doesn't help protect the wrestlers, it does nothing to help the business, because it is too much work.  Honestly, most of the strict commissions are strict because they WANT there to be few shows, so they do not have to deal with it at all - I'm looking at you Virginia.

• Like 4

Mason Ryan might have botched a few spots, but his power offence was fucking over with crowds. 

It's a damn shame they pushed Ryan to the curb just so they could push the internet darling Zack Ryder.

• Like 1

You got your Physique Snark in my Wrestling Folder!

I would say that a couple of hours 'per day' is much more accurate assessment of how much time would need to be committed to looking like what WWE wants - as opposed to a couple of hours per week. Unless you were born with whatever alien genes Brock has. They've got food prep; recovering from ongoing/nagging injuries; warming up for/cooling down from matches/workouts. Self-control will help, but they've got to have the better part of their entire day available to survive the WWE schedule.

It's a full-time job to do all of that naturally - most likely they're going to be training twice a day (weights, cardio, or wrestling). The chemical enhancements would be beneficial just for recovery alone - let alone looking more like the Abercrombie set (Cody Rhodes).

On top of all that, they have to do it while getting beat up in the ring/getting no sleep/driving in a cramped car for extended periods of time.

It's hard gawd damned work to look this sexy

/staring at self in mirror

I can testify that it is hard to grasp just how much time a wrestler has to devote to their body - and it only becomes more demanding the busier the schedule.  This isn't the territory days anymore where guys went for 30-40 a night and drank a case of beer in the car making the next town.  Pure aesthetics aside, the business is more demanding physically than ever before, and it requires more gym time, and more recovery time.  I personally never went on the juice, but I ate as properly as possible and absolutely murdered myself in the gym.  2-3 hours a day, 4-5 days a week.  And the "off days" from training were when I traveled for shows, and worked matches.  There are just no off days. 

Genetics is stuff like muscle insertions and hip size. Unless you have some sort of disease you can't blame genetics. As long eat enough and lift right anyone can build muscle. Just as you can't blame genetics for being fat you can't blame genetics for lack of muscle.

Kinda.  Some people have the right type of metabolism and can gain weight by staying lean.  Some guys do not.  It is really hard to "bulk up" and stay lean if you are not on the right kind of steroids.  Period.  It is not a natural thing for the human body to do.  Just look at how NFL linemen are built.  Massive legs, massive arms, massive chests, massive backs, massive midsections.  The WWE wants guys that look like Brock Lesnar - and that is a rare, rare thing.  Not everyone is a genetic freak like that with a tiny waist, ripped abs, and can fill out a XXXL top. 

Let's not act like Hero doesn't work out at all.  I am damn sure he's at least doing alot of cardio.  I would definitely not say the guy is in bad shape.

Agreed.  I know for a fact that Hero loves working out in the ring, and he dropped a ton of weight by doing cardio in the form of biking & running.  At one point the 6ft5in Hero was pushing 300lbs.  He was one of those guys that had a hard time dropping body fat (and didn't have the strictest diet).  Certain kinds of steroids will help you burn body fat and get lean, but will not cause you to  bulk up and pack on muscle.  It is obvious from his test "failures" from before he was signed that Hero was at his peak physically because he was on the juice. 

Or here's a thought. Realize it isn't 1988 anymore and fans don't care about fucking physiques.

I don't think a lot of people ever cared.  No one though Ric Flair was a hack because he wasn't built like Luger, but there are folks that took Luger more seriously because of the way he looked.  Wrestling needs ALL shapes and sizes, not just model-types and bodybuilders. 

You would really be surprised at the number of guys that fight this.  Guys think they can get in the business and be a star because the Sandman did, or because the Hardys did, or because Rey Jr. did.  Sometimes it is pulling teeth to get young guys to realize that you have to work at it.  I have done training in the past, and worked with a lot of different guys, and you would be shocked at how many guys, after being in the biz 4-5 years, would ask me what they could do to move up the card and get more bookings, with my answer being "Get in the gym and work your ass off".  Folks want success with minimal effort.  Wrestling is not based on talent, it is based on marketibility and drawing power.  If you look like crap on a poster, you won't sell tickets.  Period.

• Like 2

People really still argue about physiques in pro wrestling? Dusty Rhodes, Steve Austin, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Roddy Piper were all top guys. And while having a good physique is a good attrribute to have to get over, it's not as important as having good in-ring work or mic skills, and by good in-ring work I don't mean "Power Offence".

Right because in the late 80's WWF Hercules was the second biggest star on the roster. Try again.

C'mon now, that was a cheap way out.  Hogan & Savage were the top draws, and they were both juiced to the gills.  As were the Road Warriors, Luger, Ultimate Warrior, Sid, and many other top guys in that era.  It is just as cheap as pointing out a guy like Rey Misterio any time someone says a small guy cannot make it to the top.  Yeah, you can always find an example or two, but they stick out so much because they are the exceptions. 

No-one has listed a top guy that looked like a fucking nobody the way Hero does. Rhodes was clearly a big tough dude even though he didn't act that way. Bret, Piper, Austin and Michaels were in phenomenal shape compared to the average guy. Hero looks like a fucking LARP dude

• Like 3