DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

Whoa. What's that all about?

The trend of a guy having a long scraggly beard and thus being a "real man" coincides with the trend of girls making themselves look "nerdy" by being into superhero/scifi stuff.  In both cases it is kind of a hipster counter-culture thing. 

I am saying this as guy that hasn't been clean shaven in any way since 1997 or so. 

I totally feel you on the facial hair trend, but I'm not sure if the hipster aspect is wrapped in any sort of masculine display. I would attribute that more to a nostalgia for/appropriation of blue collar 70/80's culture. Thus the trucker hats, flannel, and PBR. Any sort of genuine masculine pride attached to those things in the past is played more for irony, I think.

But I would be careful with the nerdy girl thing. There is a long history of misogyny in comics and male dominated "nerd" culture. Saying that girls in particular pretend to enjoy popular nerdy things for specifically male attention (which, to be fair, you didn't do) is a really big argument for MRA trolls. Lots of people pretend to know about "nerd" things like comics and superheroes because they're popular right now. The same thing is going to happen with Star Wars when those flicks come out. Basically, it's a thin line to pretty rampant sexism, so just be careful you don't do that. It's gross.

BUT WRESTLING~!

Has there ever been anyone with as many highs and lows in their career as Dustin Rhodes?

Started out green, got REALLY, REALLY good, was pretty bad in the late 90's, got hot again with Booker T in the 00's, was terrible again as Black Reign, and then had a great last run in WWE. He has just been all over the place as a performer. Maybe due to his personally life, but for a superior worker, he sure has had a lot of low points.

• Like 1

In a real world(ish) environment like that D-Bry is way more intimidating than Cena. Cena looks like your average gym meathead while Bryan looks like a crazy survivor man dude who may kill you and dump you in the woods, but at the very least he looks like a dude who could hold his own in a fight while Cena looks like a guy who'd yell alot but make sure his "boys" held him back.

Hahahaha come on.

Every fight I have seen the big dude has gotten his ass kicked. Being strong doesn't mean you can fight. Cena looks like the typical muscled up guy who talks big but has never been in a fight in his life.

Are people not watching the whole video?!  Bryan's in phenomenal shape.  But, Cena...Christ!  He looks like a house in that get-up (Somehow the jorts he wears in the ring make him look smaller) and he just obliterates those logs.  Dude is big, and scary-strong.  

BUT WRESTLING~!

Has there ever been anyone with as many highs and lows in their career as Dustin Rhodes?

Started out green, got REALLY, REALLY good, was pretty bad in the late 90's, got hot again with Booker T in the 00's, was terrible again as Black Reign, and then had a great last run in WWE. He has just been all over the place as a performer. Maybe due to his personally life, but for a superior worker, he sure has had a lot of low points.

Scott Hall didn't have as many highs and lows (It's basically low -> really high -> even higher -> low ->lower ->lowest.  But he, similarly, his personal life brought him down.

Lex Luger's another guy I thought of.  Takes the belt from Flair, looks to be a huge star company will build around, turns heel.  Leaves to go to WBF.  Joins WWF, stumbles around the midcard as the Narcissist, shoots to the top of the card with the Lex Express spends 8-9 months than drifts down into a weak tag team in the midcard.  Leaves WWF for WCW, comes in as top guy, spends the better part of 6 months in the main event scene.  Drifts down a bit, only to shoot back to the top against the NWO.  Then his career kinda meanders as he joins the NWO, but nobody really cares and finally settles around the midcard with lackluster feuds (That one with Chuck Palumbo for instance) culminating in a terrible tag team with Buff Bagwell, where they remained until WCW shut down with Vince mocking Lex on the last Nitro.  He had a short stint in TNA and assorted start-up feds, then had the whole domestic dispute, Elizabeth overdose and various legal issues.  Then he became born-again, then he suffered the spinal stroke.  Apparently, he can walk more comfortably now and supposedly has worked with WWE counseling for Wellness issues.  So that's good for him.  But, can you imagine watching 1996-97 WCW and there's no way you could imagine Vince not hiring him if he were available!

Whoa. What's that all about?

The trend of a guy having a long scraggly beard and thus being a "real man" coincides with the trend of girls making themselves look "nerdy" by being into superhero/scifi stuff.  In both cases it is kind of a hipster counter-culture thing.

Um, no.

Posted Image

Girls are free to like geeky shit too. 

• Like 5

Are people not watching the whole video?!  Bryan's in phenomenal shape.  But, Cena...Christ!  He looks like a house in that get-up (Somehow the jorts he wears in the ring make him look smaller) and he just obliterates those logs.  Dude is big, and scary-strong. 

So, what you are saying is Superman Cena invites "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" thoughts when you consider him with his Bella?

Man Rev just cannot make a coherent answer to something without images. Imagine knowing the guy personally?

"Hey guys I think Tony Romo is gonna pull it together this year"

"LOL NO" *jumps up and down in your face waving his cellphone with a meme on it and tugging on his penis*

Fucking bizarre dude. Like a meme is a definitive answer to a differing opinion.

• Like 3

I always enjoyed Rodney Mack, watched him on the indys where he was a top guy in Texas promotions and thought he'd be a star when he got signed. Shame he didn't get much of a chance. Still enjoy seeing him in the ring wherever he pops up. Felt the same about Lance Hoyt, who was a top star in the same area for years....thought it was crazy that he got released so quickly.

Here's a thought. Turn the sound on.

Nahh...it's really not that important to me.  I'm also at work and I don't want to disturb my office mates.  If it was something good like a Ric Flair promo or Dusty yellin bout those hard time then the sound would be blasting. 

This is a great angle that's happening right now.

Also Icarus was a chickenshit heel in Chikara, so he gets to look like a Waffle House cook.

I don't even understand the fake geek girl thing. 

Hot girls may be pretending to like what you like, how is that a problem? 

They're still attractive, as opposed to the trolls that generally make up geek fandoms.

"But they don't like the right things!"

Perhaps you could introduce them to geekier things?  Oh, but that would require social skills.

• Like 2

It's an interesting thing. Though nobody ever really wants to take a closer look beyond "MISOGNY!!!". I think the anger comes from the place, that for a lot of us (probably all,) in the real world, we associate girls with rejection. So for some, they see a girl in their hobby as an invasion of their safe place. Now that does not excuse acting like an asshole. But I think it explains it. There is also some who take it as them being condescending. That they are moving down a weight class, so desperate nerds will kiss their ass. Which I don't think is accurate and involves a ton of mind reading. I think people like whatever they like. In the end nobody wants to see people as individuals with distinct past and needs. They rather do Kaos vs Control and Gi.Joe vs Cobra, than do any real thinking. 

• Like 2