DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

I used to be pretty high on Justin Gabriel. I thought he had a ton of potential. I thought he could have even been a modern era Ricky Steamboat: look handsome, wrestle well as a clean cut babyface but not be a great promo. Instead, WWE just sort of made him a jobber that barely makes TV, he has a bad haircut & looks generic. Shame.

After the Nexus debut, he really impressed me. It wasn't so much him doing the 450 Splash, it was his facial expression before he did it.

I never understood the Nexus hate when the angle ended. They were such great heels, especially Gabriel with his 900-mile stare into the distance with smug glare. Everyone in the original Nexus group has had a good spot in the company -- Wade, Skip/Ryback and Bryan all headlined PPV's, Slater's the best jobber of his era, Gabriel's had a bunch of good matches this year and is a good babyface, Darren Young's a good enough tag guy, Otunga's a great leech and Michael Tarver's tearing up FCW and would have had a good WWE run if he wasn't a nutjob. Even their backup entrants have become something -- Curtis Axel's good for what he is and Husky/Bray leads one of the hottest acts in eons.Someone in the WWE read the talent they had on NXT Season One perfectly.That whole story arc was pretty much Orwell Writes The WWE. The peasants of NXT revolt against the machine and do so without mercy while rallying behind a charismatic leader in Wade Barrett. Then the group becomes less of a peasant revolt and more about serving Wade's interests of humiliating Cena/winning the title and eventually leads to his ousting. And in the backdrop was the Big Brother anonymous GM.Oh well. I'm a lone wolf used to riding these roads alone.

Wow, The Nexus being the Animals of Animal Farm would have been incredible. Too bad the WWE didn't have the balls to pull the trigger on the Nexus and kept making them look weak come crunch time. But God forbid we don't end a show where the fans go home happy (WWE lingo there).

I never got the "make them look weak." They destroyed all in their path until SummerSlam. I would hope a team of WWE veterans would be able to stop NXT rookies in an actual match. (I f'n LOVED that match, too. Such a smartly outlined match.) The Nexus only had their advantage in numbers situations and backstage jumpings. They still had their wins, too -- Justin Gabriel (!) pinned Cena in an elimination match they ended up winning after Wade stole a pin off of Randy Orton. Then they enslaved the face of the promotion and forced him to make Wade the number one contender (by leaving a battle royale at Wade's order) when he wasn't busy fetching water, cleaning the locker room or scrubbing his tormentor's back. They also won the tag titles. Wade also beat Cena in a singles match on a PPV (when Husky and McGillicuddy launched a surgical strike).They never made those guys look weak. I never got that.argument. I thought it was a really well-told story from start to finish.

War Games would work fine in the HIAC.  You don't necessarily need two rings since the WWE ring is larger than WCW's and that cage also engulfs the ringside area.  Although, you'd lose the two teams at ringside strategizing but I'm sure they'd want everyone to get a seperate superstar entrance anyway.

War Games would work fine in the HIAC.  You don't necessarily need two rings since the WWE ring is larger than WCW's and that cage also engulfs the ringside area.  Although, you'd lose the two teams at ringside strategizing but I'm sure they'd want everyone to get a seperate superstar entrance anyway.

You could keep them on the stage as the match is going on. Each team would have a bunch of sandbags to create some kind of cool trench HQ. They'll have monitors set up like the announce table so they can get a good looka t what's going on in the ring. 

• Like 3

Nexus was never going to work long term because those guys were not good enough in the ring. The booking was really half assed, where they wanted Nexus to win, but not really win. The Shield has worked because they let them win matches and they are good enough in the ring, a loss will not kill them. 

Also Nexus dudes got hurt at a ridiculous rate.

Look at the two former Nexus guys highest on the card. One got fired after one night, then came back a month later as his current character (and is the best worker in the company in years). The other guy got hurt about a month later, then went back to an old character before coming back after a really long rehab for the injury.

I think Michael Cole is a good PBP guy right now but I've noticed the one thing that really annoys me about him; whenever the dude is supposed to be acting shocked, say, at a guy returning in the Rumble, he can't really sell it and he always mentions how many times they've been a world champion. Edge comes back at the Royal Rumble and Striker and Lawler lose their shit and Cole musters a "IT'S THE 8 TIME WORLD CHAMPION!" Try and lose yourself in it, man and stop being WWE Lingo Bot 5000 for a second.

• Like 1

So I was seeing on Twitter that Jeff Jarrett and Keiji Mutoh were having meetings about talent exchanges for TNA.  A) I had no idea Jarrett still had clout in TNA, and 2) Who the fuck can Mutoh exchange since he's not president of AJPW anymore?

So I was seeing on Twitter that Jeff Jarrett and Keiji Mutoh were having meetings about talent exchanges for TNA.  A) I had no idea Jarrett still had clout in TNA, and 2) Who the fuck can Mutoh exchange since he's not president of AJPW anymore?

He founded his own promotion and most of the AJPW wrestlers went with him.

If Magnum T.A. doesn't have his car accident in 86, what terrible occupation-themed gimmick do you think Vince would have given him when he inevitably signed for a brief run in the late-80s/early-90s? Or would they have just gone all the way with the Magnum P.I. gimmick and given him Hawaiian shirts and a British manservant? 

• Like 2