DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

I used to be pretty high on Justin Gabriel. I thought he had a ton of potential. I thought he could have even been a modern era Ricky Steamboat: look handsome, wrestle well as a clean cut babyface but not be a great promo. Instead, WWE just sort of made him a jobber that barely makes TV, he has a bad haircut & looks generic. Shame.

After the Nexus debut, he really impressed me. It wasn't so much him doing the 450 Splash, it was his facial expression before he did it.

• Like 1

So are to read anything into the name change of the "Over the Limit" PPV to "Battleground"? War Games?

Keep getting your hopes up lad, haha.
Yeah, on the off chance they ever did a War Games, that's on a PPV at MSG, not Buffalo.

It will be a brand new Vince concept, just imagine the production meeting.

"I have a new idea, its brilliant, you'll love it, it's called BATTLEGROUND, two teams of four battle it out in 2 rings surrounded by a cage... no, no, no wait... not a cage... it takes place... in A HELL IN A CELL..."

I feel like HHH has to play out a real life version of Inception with Vince to get a pass on any of his ideas and that mouthy wife of his is one of Vince's defense systems.

• Like 1

There's a difference between leasing out studio space to a show that is airing on a competitor and setting up your own business to compete with a longtime business partner who is literally the biggest fish in the particular sea you'd be jumping into.

Uh Oh. a Phantom Wrestling Promotion in Florida saying they're the next big thing on Twitter. I've seen this fucking movie before. And it ended in a Steel Davey Richards.

• Like 21

I used to be pretty high on Justin Gabriel. I thought he had a ton of potential. I thought he could have even been a modern era Ricky Steamboat: look handsome, wrestle well as a clean cut babyface but not be a great promo. Instead, WWE just sort of made him a jobber that barely makes TV, he has a bad haircut & looks generic. Shame.

After the Nexus debut, he really impressed me. It wasn't so much him doing the 450 Splash, it was his facial expression before he did it.

I never understood the Nexus hate when the angle ended. They were such great heels, especially Gabriel with his 900-mile stare into the distance with smug glare. Everyone in the original Nexus group has had a good spot in the company -- Wade, Skip/Ryback and Bryan all headlined PPV's, Slater's the best jobber of his era, Gabriel's had a bunch of good matches this year and is a good babyface, Darren Young's a good enough tag guy, Otunga's a great leech and Michael Tarver's tearing up FCW and would have had a good WWE run if he wasn't a nutjob. Even their backup entrants have become something -- Curtis Axel's good for what he is and Husky/Bray leads one of the hottest acts in eons.Someone in the WWE read the talent they had on NXT Season One perfectly.That whole story arc was pretty much Orwell Writes The WWE. The peasants of NXT revolt against the machine and do so without mercy while rallying behind a charismatic leader in Wade Barrett. Then the group becomes less of a peasant revolt and more about serving Wade's interests of humiliating Cena/winning the title and eventually leads to his ousting. And in the backdrop was the Big Brother anonymous GM.Oh well. I'm a lone wolf used to riding these roads alone.

• Like 1

I never understood the Nexus hate when the angle ended. They were such great heels, especially Gabriel with his 900-mile stare into the distance with smug glare. Everyone in the original Nexus group has had a good spot in the company -- Wade, Skip/Ryback and Bryan all headlined PPV's, Slater's the best jobber of his era, Gabriel's had a bunch of good matches this year and is a good babyface, Darren Young's a good enough tag guy, Otunga's a great leech and Michael Tarver's tearing up FCW and would have had a good WWE run if he wasn't a nutjob. Even their backup entrants have become something -- Curtis Axel's good for what he is and Husky/Bray leads one of the hottest acts in eons.Someone in the WWE read the talent they had on NXT Season One perfectly.That whole story arc was pretty much Orwell Writes The WWE. The peasants of NXT revolt against the machine and do so without mercy while rallying behind a charismatic leader in Wade Barrett. Then the group becomes less of a peasant revolt and more about serving Wade's interests of humiliating Cena/winning the title and eventually leads to his ousting. And in the backdrop was the Big Brother anonymous GM.Oh well. I'm a lone wolf used to riding these roads alone.

Wow, The Nexus being the Animals of Animal Farm would have been incredible. Too bad the WWE didn't have the balls to pull the trigger on the Nexus and kept making them look weak come crunch time. But God forbid we don't end a show where the fans go home happy (WWE lingo there).

Walters got squashed by Masters while Pure Champion.Speaking of the Pure title, I remember seeing an AWESOME Nigel title defense VS Strong. Probably the best match I've ever seen with a count-out finish.

I really doubt WWE would ever do the two rings, even if Triple H did talk him into War Games.  No way Vince wants to lose good seats up close.

Trips should try to explain that he's actually gaining good seats up close by adding three more sides of them.

I think the unification match with Danielson was probably the best pure title match, but my fondest memory of anything involving the pure title was during a Nigel v. Chris Hero match when the lights went out mid match. When the got them back on, Larry Sweeney got the mic and tried to convince the ref that during the black out, Nigel had used all three of his rope breaks.

Man, I miss Larry Sweeney.