DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

How many times per year do Impact/TNA go with the 'mystery man' angle, seems they run it every 5-6 months to very little response.

That's because almost every single time they have a "big surprise!" it's some bullshit or a jobber & no one gives a fuck. So now whenever they announce anything, which as you noted is pretty often, people assume the worst.

• Like 1

So...TNA has a house show here in Pensacola (NW Florida). I've never been to a TNA show and I imagine tickets are cheap. I assume it'll be a good show but I'm not sure I'm in to be around people who are really pumped about TNA.

Like...people can like what they like but it'll be weird to be around wrestling fans who are just fucking ALL IN on TNA.

It's a mystery man that will most likely be a letdown.  It has to be Savio Vega. God, I hate agreeing with FSW (especially after calling Drive the worst movie ever), but it does look and sound like Lo Ki. And they could have done so much more with a voice and no video.  The ridiculous post-production work just emphasizes that it's over-the-top and fake.  You reenact old-school VHS-Hi8 video by actually SHOOTING old-school video.  Though considering the cuts, maybe TNA can't afford a 1990s camcorder now.

I was thinking maybe they found the camcorder Waltman used to carry around all the time during the NWO days, but that's probably too high tech for them.  It's more likely they found the big 80s style camcorder Feinstein carried during the BWO run.
Either way I hope they don't find them with tapes inside.
  • Like 1

I don't feel like this is worth starting a thread over just yet. Is PWG worth following these days? I was thinking about grabbing some clearance DVDs from ROH's sale and saw they started carrying PWG shows, so I was thinking of either getting the final show of 2012 (Mystery Vortex) or the first show of 2013 (DDT4 2013). From a "buy their stuff" standpoint, they seem like a fairly inexpensive promotion to follow. roughly 12 shows a year for $15 a piece isn't awful.

• Like 1

I went to a show in Birmingham, AL a few months back, and it was a lot of fun. A very engaged, vocal crowd that weren't trying to show how hip they were either. Rockstar Spud and Robbie E had the match of the night. It was a good time. I think I paid between $10 and $15 for my ticket.

See this is the thing, there are tons of positives about TNA, the fact that Robbie E and Spud are putting on good matches does not surprise me.  They just seem so ignorant to the casual fan, which is something that WWE is so good at listening to.  RVD in TNA is useless, in WWE he is a big deal.  They almost deserve to go out of business.

EDIT - RE: The Post Above - PWG - God Yes, Drake Youngers rise to stardom is worth it alone.  PWG has been on fire through 12/13.

I don't feel like this is worth starting a thread over just yet. Is PWG worth following these days? I was thinking about grabbing some clearance DVDs from ROH's sale and saw they started carrying PWG shows, so I was thinking of either getting the final show of 2012 (Mystery Vortex) or the first show of 2013 (DDT4 2013). From a "buy their stuff" standpoint, they seem like a fairly inexpensive promotion to follow. roughly 12 shows a year for $15 a piece isn't awful.

Hell yes!!!!

Alex Shelly coming back to feud with Chris Sabin would make sense from a logical standpoint. But this is TNA, so we know there's no logic involved. Assuming it is Low Ki/Senshi, who is he exactly coming after for revenge? Also why the hell haven't they been putting these videos into the shows for the last month just so when this does happen there might be some interest...

Oh yeah. TNA.

For full Death Of WCW points, they should have The Gut Chexus led by that one guy who had the worst match ever, who proceeds to start squashing everyone and cutting promos about how the TNA bookerman made him wrestle incompetently, but now he's going off script and taking over.

Senshi?

So this gives away the game that he uses a scrambler to produce his hilariously fake voice, right?

Then it's equally glaringly obvious that he lost the instruction manual for it.

Also ... Boom mic in the shot!

Senshi?

I have a feeling it's Shelton Benjamin. But then he's going to be in Japan that week. So I'm not sure anymore.

I'm thinking, this being TNA of course, that it'll be someone who's silhouette looks nothing like that of the person in the video.  No bald head, that is.

That said ... D-Ray 3000.