DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

That new show Stacy is hosting sounds like a terrible idea, and I can't see how it will possibly be good.

I remember getting all excited the first time I saw the trailer for it, mistakenly believing it was going to be a Supermarket Sweep remake.  By the end of the promo, I was already disappointed,

Isn't there a tax reason why they all live in FL?

Strippers.  So many strippers.

Someone in the ROH thread was saying what a terrible name BJ Whitmer is.  Has the WWE ever given anyone a shittier name than Dolph Ziggler?

Briley Pierce.

But does she know how to use them anymore?

Apparently not.  Otherwise, Clooney would've kept her around.

That new show Stacy is hosting sounds like a terrible idea, and I can't see how it will possibly be good.

I remember getting all excited the first time I saw the trailer for it, mistakenly believing it was going to be a Supermarket Sweep remake.  By the end of the promo, I was already disappointed,

Oh lawdie! There's a show I could lose eight hours to, if it was readily available online.

I watched Stacy's show with the wife this week. Don't remember what day it was. Essentially, it was 'Cupcake Wars' (if you've seen that show) only with Stacy instead of the annoying magician host.

The crux of the show is that three people present their product idea, and one of them will win. At the end of the season (I assume) all of the winners will meet and the ultimate winner will get their product stocked in grocery stores. Which ones, I don't know. The episode was centered around cakes. One guy had an alcohol-infused cake that would have cost $8+ per slice, in grocery stores. He got booted quickly.

Stacy doesn't really add much to the show. She does a couple wrap-arounds, but there are so many different people talking that she sort of got lost in the shuffle.

Oh lawdie! There's a show I could lose eight hours to, if it was readily available online.

http://www.ovguide.com/tv/supermarket_sweep.htm

Wave goodbye to your free time.

• Like 4

Oh man, we've been getting a free preview of the Canadian Game Show Network and everyday has like 2 hours of 'Supermarket Sweep' and 'Bumper Stumper' reruns.  So I get a nice new cable box, an upgrade on the old HD, and I spend my time watching late 80s/early 90s game shows.

• Like 1

I once met David Ruprecht forever ago.  I was dating a girl who was starring with him in a production of The Music Man.  I was invited to the wrap party but was warned by her beforehand NOT to mention Supermarket Sweep to him or ask questions about it.

He was very nice and personable (though probably being surrounded by actresses in their early 20s helped) but as I was leaving the party, I had to take a shot, so as I shook his hand and said goodbye, I told him "I'll always remember you when I hear that beep."

He was not amused.

• Like 4

I just watched two women get out to a huge early lead, and then lost the Sweep by $6.

The kicker being, of course, that she forgot to finish grinding all of the coffee beans and that cost them $100.

I then went on to waste way too much time trying to figure out the best strategy: Going after all of the bonuses, or ignore the bonuses/hoss out and load up the cart with as many plump turkeys, meats, cheeses and diapers as I could carry?

Oh and then while trying to see if anyone else had gone down the same path, I reached the nexus of the universe and promptly lost my mind:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3528&st=0

I suddenly have the urge to spend the next 72 hours watching Twin Peaks.

#askdixie is one of the best things I've ever seen on Twitter.

Yes.  Yes it is.

I spotted Osiris from Scottsman's site; The Spoony One, and MATTHEW EFFING LESKO!

Posted Image

"What's a Paladin" is #1 and the best.

False. Puke is worse.

Actually, are there any four-letter wrestling names that aren't awful? Test, Meat, Puke...Kane's fine, I suppose.

On the one hand, Z-Man, Big T (do those count?), Sinn, and Lodi, but on the other hand, Sabu, Lita, (Road Warrior) Hawk, Meng, and Haku.

I'll concede Lita and Meng, but Sabu and Haku sound like racist Disney cartoon characters, and Hawk...well Hawk sounds like a biker nickname, which works for the gimmick, so that one goes in the plus column too.

But Syxx, Asya, Swoll, Toad...Actually, I think this list is starting to just prove how awful WCW was at naming people.

• Like 1

False. Puke is worse.

Actually, are there any four-letter wrestling names that aren't awful? Test, Meat, Puke...Kane's fine, I suppose.

At risk of derailing the thread ala the Mark Henry one, dare I say 'Edge'?

Looking back at old ROH cards for under appreciated matches and a name stuck out. What happened with John Walters? He had a good place on the card then seemingly vanished from wrestling. Is he just a guy who decided it wasn't for him.

I'm always curious when a guy disappears. I'd still like to know what happened to Blue Wolf and his badass sumo brothers.

#askdixie is one of the best things I've ever seen on Twitter.

Yes.  Yes it is.

I spotted Osiris from Scottsman's site; The Spoony One, and MATTHEW EFFING LESKO!

Posted Image

"What's a Paladin" is #1 and the best.
Wow, Osiris is still kicking around there?

Was Matthew Lesko, or the Matthew Lesko gimmick poster?

Looking back at old ROH cards for under appreciated matches and a name stuck out. What happened with John Walters? He had a good place on the card then seemingly vanished from wrestling. Is he just a guy who decided it wasn't for him.I'm always curious when a guy disappears. I'd still like to know what happened to Blue Wolf and his badass sumo brothers.

Didn't he get squashed by Big Show on Smackdown, while Pure Champion in early 2005, and then dropped by ROH shortly afterwards (story line was that the Embassy left him behind in Ghana...

Anyway, fairly sure he is now the one who was playing the proto-Jack Swagger character who moaned about them stealing his gimmick when Mantell went back to WWE - he was on Cabana's pod cast a little while ago...

Edit: more info now linked:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2013/2/22/4016034/jack-swagger-zeb-colter-wwe-stolen-gimmick-originator-rj-brewer-responds

Walters got squashed by Masters while Pure Champion.

Speaking of the Pure title, I remember seeing an AWESOME Nigel title defense VS Strong. Probably the best match I've ever seen with a count-out finish.