DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

I never found Tugboat menacing until he became Typhoon, though I'd attribute most of that to his ring-gear and little hat.

It also helped that when he was Tugboat he was one of Hogan's sad lil' buddies.  Which makes anyone look stupid.  I think only Macho Man ever came close to making it work because he had the ability to pull heat to him even as Hogan was trying to suck it away. 

When he was Typhoon he was rollin' with Earthquake, motherfuckers!  Earthquake was a giving man who absorbed and redistributed heat willingly and amply.

Oh, yeah.  He was awesome. 

If I could get away with it, I would rig my shirt to pop open like that every time I walked into work.

Was that right when Bossman was all the sudden all "Whoa, holy shit when did he get in shape?"  Because that may have helped a lot. 

It also helped that when he was Tugboat he was one of Hogan's sad lil' buddies.  Which makes anyone look stupid.  I think only Macho Man ever came close to making it work because he had the ability to pull heat to him even as Hogan was trying to suck it away. 

When he was Typhoon he was rollin' with Earthquake, motherfuckers!  Earthquake was a giving man who absorbed and redistributed heat willingly and amply.

I don't know what you mean.  Right here Hulk Hogan says he and Tugboat are married and the dream team of the 90's, brother!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyvc1u_hulk-hogan-tugboat-event-center-promos_sport

What a pair these two made.  The references in this promo are shocking.  Hulk got into the good shit that day.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmgizt_hulk-hogan-tugboat-vs-rhythm-blues_sport

Nearly choked on my iced tea watching Tugboat's plea for more cards & letters for the Hulkster in this one:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaxxiv_update-earthquake-jimmy-hart-tugboa_sport

• Like 1

Research, personal experience, and its kind of common knowledge. If you lift right, eat right you will get muscles unless you have something wrong with your test levels or some illness.

As long as we're talking personal experience...

EDIT 3: A long post about me talking about myself and what a skinny fucker I am. Everyone look at me because I need attention.

Yeah, I embarrass myself and get angry about it later. Why?

EDIT 2: (post that resided here) Not meant as an argument or to be confrontational. Just something of a sensitive issue for me. No worries, gentle readers.  :)

As long as we're talking personal experience...

When I was a teen, I decided I wanted to be a wrestler. So, I started lifting weights and doing cardio every day. Every day the same routine, despite my parents thinking I was overdoing it sometimes. It took up most of my time, because I had a dream and I was going to live it. I started eating more, especially protein. I was a skinny guy with a small frame and long limbs. 5'11" and 110 pounds. Sic. I kept this up for a year and a half or so, but in that time I didn't gain a single pound. My body didn't change at all. I began to lose confidence, though I continued with the hope that I was just slow. At last, after facing this sort of failure, I grew depressed and stopped altogether. I started eating sweets like a slob after that and mostly stopped eating well. I didn't gain or lose a single pound through all of this. It just was not in my genetics to do so, I decided. I gave up on the wrestling thing because I was well-aware that it was impossible for someone who looked like me. I decided to become a novelist instead...

Eventually, I recovered and became a health-food guy. I stopped eating any junk food and began eating less in general. I spent years like that and I didn't gain or lose any weight at all. Recently, I've allowed myself to eat a lot of junk food again. I've mostly returned to eating whenever I feel like it and not worrying about gaining weight, though I still act in moderation to be sure I don't become the skinniest guy to have a heart attack. I still look the same and weigh almost the same (slightly less now, actually)

All this, and every doctor visit I've had has confirmed me as a particularly healthy specimen with nothing wrong with me.

So, this isn't genetics? I'm okay with being an anomaly, but I know I am not ill. Reflecting on it, I think I gave up too easily, regardless, but it was my passion for some time and I felt betrayed.

EDIT: In before "you were doing it wrong." I was well-researched and I felt the burn, thank you. As said, it was my passion.

Also, I don't worry much for Hero. Like CM Punk, he'll succeed eventually because he's already shown that he's just that good. He's just another in a recent string of indies guys who "can't make it in WWE" like Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Ambrose, etc. He'll pull it together.

Edit: this works better as a PM.

Was about to say Matt Morgan too, he looks really unimpressive compared to other giants.

I was surprised by how big Matt Morgan is when I saw him in person. The dude is a giant. For whatever, reason he doesn't come across that big on tv.

I'm pretty thrilled that Tugboat is still alive and seemingly healthy.

Posted Image

Also, per his wikipedia page, I might need  to track down this angle

By the late 1990s, he was wrestling primarily in Florida, where he competed for FOW and WXO. In WXO, he was given a gimmick where he was too big to get out of his own car.
  • Like 5

I think WWE needs a new logo. The scratch logo worked for the Attitude Era, but ever since 2001 it has seemed out of date to me. Especially with the company trying to come across as an entertainment company, the lame logo really holds them back. It just looks minor league to me.

I don't know why they don't just use the logo they use for the legends or Old School Raws. It looks so much cleaner and classier.

This:

Posted Image

Looks so much better than this:

Posted Image

*Via twitter:*

Me (to Konnan): How did you not laugh every time you got a crowd of white people to yell "ARRIBA LA RAZA!"?

Konnan: Who says I didn't?

For some reason, the board wouldn't let me post that in my WCW thread.

Konnan's best WCW moment was when Disco Inferno remixed his rap video.  That was great.  His next great moment came in TNA when he threw his shoe during a match.  Innovation y'all. 

"Oil of Olay, All Day! Every Day!"

I also saw Mankind do the shoe throw at Road Dogg during a house show. I think it was before TNA was around, so Konnan clearly stole that spot. :)

• Like 1

Tazz is probably the answer.

Tazz was built like a brick shithouse, looked like an evil motherfucker, and was strong as shit.  He was short, sure... but definitely looked like a beast. 

Yeah, Tazz could hit a guy with a clothesline that looked a lot like a Rick Steiner Steinerline. He just would load up and WHAM.

For example, in a state like Pennsylvania, the boxing commission & the wrestling commission are the same thing.  So, they implement a ton of rules on wrestling promoters that make very little sense, but help generate revenue for boxing.  For example, the commission gets 10% of the gate, in addition to a license fee for each show.  If they send a representative to the show, you have to pay them a $200 fee, so they can collect the 10% in person.  You have to have a ringside doctor for the entire card, but he is not required to provide medical treatment, he is only there to "stop the match if one of the competitors is unable to continue".  The doctor's fee is NOT covered by the state, nor are they provided by the state.  Between Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Central PA & Erie events, there are 5-10 wrestling events these fees are collected for every week.  On the flip side, the commission pays for and provides boxing referees, judges, and medical personel, with only 4-5 professional boxing events each year. 

Bringing this back up, since I just came across an article about the uselessness of the PA Athletic Commission, which mentioned some of the very things that I brought up the other day.  Plus, it features a couple of guys that I trained and work with.  

I'm pretty thrilled that Tugboat is still alive and seemingly healthy.

Posted Image

Also, per his wikipedia page, I might need  to track down this angle

By the late 1990s, he was wrestling primarily in Florida, where he competed for FOW and WXO. In WXO, he was given a gimmick where he was too big to get out of his own car.

Ha.  That is amazing.  I wish they would give the Miz that gimmick. 

I was just talking to someone about how much I'd love to see a Shriners gimmick, with the fez and the little car and everything. Combine that with the guy getting stuck in the Shriner car and getting attacked by his opponent every time and you can just take my wallet.

I think WWE needs a new logo. The scratch logo worked for the Attitude Era, but ever since 2001 it has seemed out of date to me. Especially with the company trying to come across as an entertainment company, the lame logo really holds them back. It just looks minor league to me.

I don't know why they don't just use the logo they use for the legends or Old School Raws. It looks so much cleaner and classier.

This:

Posted Image

Looks so much better than this:

Posted Image

If the WWE Network took off i'm guessing they would have updated the logo to the one shown in the promos:

Posted Image