DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

I am SHOCKED that people are actually deriding WWE's method of pushing guys, like it's a big surprise or something.  The boss wants you to work out more and you want to be on TV and make more money... work out more.   You are practically on commission sales.  You make more money, you get paid more money.  WWE's thinking, right or wrong, is looking good goes a long way towards making money. Hero isn't a big fat bastard, don't get me wrong, but he is obviously not what the WWE wants on their TV's at this time.  He can change that, he has in the past.  Lots of guys have.

The cynic in me says that the new WWE method of pushing indie guys is to get the internet riled up about how the wrestler is being mistreated. If this leads to backlash from a sufficiently loud vocal minority at shows, then the wrestler is someone who will get a good enough reaction to justify being placed in an important storyline. If the reaction spreads to venues which aren't smark hotbeads, then maybe the guy has a future higher than the mid-card.

All that powder Hogan throws around in this WAR GAMES must be left over blow from the booking meeting where they came up with this shitty match. "Kamala's never smelled anything like that!" is the best line ever, I'll give it that.

I hate when people cite Foley as not having a good look. The dude looks like a psycho killer. If you were hitchhiking in the desert and someone looking like Cactus Jack offered you a ride, you would turn him down. I think people forget this, because the books killed his mystique. 

Why is Alyson Hannigan ripping a dude's skin off though? What the fuck is that from?

A very special How I Met Your Mother.

Actually, some Buffy where the dude killed her lesbian girlfriend, she becomes Dark Phoenix, tears his skin off...AND HE LIVES. 

I am SHOCKED that people are actually deriding WWE's method of pushing guys, like it's a big surprise or something.  The boss wants you to work out more and you want to be on TV and make more money... work out more.   You are practically on commission sales.  You make more money, you get paid more money.  WWE's thinking, right or wrong, is looking good goes a long way towards making money.

Hero isn't a big fat bastard, don't get me wrong, but he is obviously not what the WWE wants on their TV's at this time.  He can change that, he has in the past.  Lots of guys have.

I think we've just been spoiled with Punk and Bryan that people actually thought something changed, when really, we're just in another one of those weird 94-96 periods where they almost had no choice but to put Bret and Michaels on top because Nash was a flop.

What surprises me a lot more is when the big summer storyline happens and people get so excited about it that they get blindsided when WWE fucks it up after a few weeks and one good PPV.

• Like 2

Agreed 100%, was really liking Mason Ryan's push towards the US title before he got pushed aside and dropped off TV completely.. and Ryder's reign/'push' was complete nothing anyways.

Do you watch NXT?  He's been having some fun squashes there lately.

I'm buying one right now. The knockoff ones fit like crap. Hopefully the officially WWE licensed Macho shirt will give me that polo-like fit that I so desperately want out of my novelty shirts.

And gawdDAMMIT - the old board's fitness/diet topic couldn't reach five pages in a year, but we just spent the last five pages talking about muffin tops!

For shame. For SHAME!

• Like 3

I hate when people cite Foley as not having a good look. The dude looks like a psycho killer. If you were hitchhiking in the desert and someone looking like Cactus Jack offered you a ride, you would turn him down. I think people forget this, because the books killed his mystique. 

I'm sorry, are we claiming that crazed Cactus Jack/Mankind was a bigger star than lovable post-HIAC Mankind/Dude Love/Mick Foley?

Yes, I agree that Foley was a product of competition and would be far less likely to get the opportunities he did in the late 90s.  In fact, that's exactly my point.

Chris Hero looks fine.  He just doesn't look like all the other wrestlers on RAW and Smackdown.  For some reason, this is a bad thing.

I have the vaguest of memories of this, but remember finding it hilarious at the time. Disappointed there are not even any gifs of it around.

From Smackdown - 10th of February 2006

• JUNIORS TAG TEAM MATCH: Mascara Sagrada & Tzuki vs Octagoncito & Pequeno Violencia..
  • Fit Finlay showed up a few minutes into the match and destroyed two of the Juniors (the other two ran away)..
  • Fit Finlay explained that whatever happens in the ring, he takes it real serious because he came to FIGHT!

Does anyone else remember this? Was it as great as my misty eyed nostalgia tells me?

I'm sorry, are we claiming that crazed Cactus Jack/Mankind was a bigger star than lovable post-HIAC Mankind/Dude Love/Mick Foley?

No, I'm saying if not for the books, nobody would question the look of Cactus, because he looks like a deranged killer. At some point people took "Look" to mean handsome or musclebound. When it should be look interesting. 

• Like 4

Ohno currently has the physique of a 1988 NWA Saturday Night enhancement talent.  That is not a bad thing, but I see Al Perez beating him with the spinning toe hold. 

On a side note: Why did Al Perez never make it outside of TX?