DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

The comparisons in this thread are a fucking abomination. Harley, Hansen and all that were big guys with big guts that looked like legit tough guys that could hold their own. Old school tough. You can still pull that off if you have the right look, like Wyatt if they cover up his awful tattoos, but if you're just a normal guy you need to at least look like you can do the things you're trying to do. Ohno looks like a guy off the street. If he even had Axel's look he'd be fine.

• Like 1

Agreed about Hansen / Gordy etc. those guys had massive arms, massive quads and generally looked big all around.

The minimum I reckon Hero would need to do is get into 2006 CM Punk shape, I mean Punk wasnt in outstanding shape when he got called up but he was passable at least.

Then you may have been lifting incorrectly, started with a lot of body fat, or gave up to quickly.

In that pic he doesn't have much muscle, he looks ripped but that's mostly from diet. I hate to sound like a douche but if this is truly an issue for WWE it's really not too hard to get into passable shape naturally, it just takes a little hard work and some self control.

Edit: I do think these are just dirt sheet rumors, and if they really wanted him up they would call him up regardless of physique.

You got your Physique Snark in my Wrestling Folder!

I would say that a couple of hours 'per day' is much more accurate assessment of how much time would need to be committed to looking like what WWE wants - as opposed to a couple of hours per week. Unless you were born with whatever alien genes Brock has. They've got food prep; recovering from ongoing/nagging injuries; warming up for/cooling down from matches/workouts. Self-control will help, but they've got to have the better part of their entire day available to survive the WWE schedule.

It's a full-time job to do all of that naturally - most likely they're going to be training twice a day (weights, cardio, or wrestling). The chemical enhancements would be beneficial just for recovery alone - let alone looking more like the Abercrombie set (Cody Rhodes).

On top of all that, they have to do it while getting beat up in the ring/getting no sleep/driving in a cramped car for extended periods of time.

It's hard gawd damned work to look this sexy

/staring at self in mirror

• Like 3

Agreed about Hansen / Gordy etc. those guys had massive arms, massive quads and generally looked big all around.

The minimum I reckon Hero would need to do is get into 2006 CM Punk shape, I mean Punk wasnt in outstanding shape when he got called up but he was passable at least.

Hero could get away with looking like he does now if he was already a star. HHH looked like a bloated pregnant woman for the better part of five years, starting with that Evolution run. No one cared.

The physique request was just one last hoop the higher-ups wanted Hero to jump through, and he balked at it for whatever reason (injury, unwillingness to do drugs, etc).

Genetics is stuff like muscle insertions and hip size. Unless you have some sort of disease you can't blame genetics. As long eat enough and lift right anyone can build muscle. Just as you can't blame genetics for being fat you can't blame genetics for lack of muscle.

Hero's best option for now should be to at least focus on cutting, he could get rid of the "skinny fat" look fast with a good diet, at least fast enough to get out of problems for the short term.

Then he can focus on building muscle slowly so he doesn't gain the stomach fat back which hurts his look the most and seems to be his biggest problem. 

It looks like diet might be what's holding him back, he could go on a strict diet for a couple of months to at least look a bit more solid and tighten up his mid section which currently hurt his image the most.

Genetics is stuff like muscle insertions and hip size. Unless you have some sort of disease you can't blame genetics. As long eat enough and lift right anyone can build muscle. Just as you can't blame genetics for being fat you can't blame genetics for lack of muscle.

You base this on what, exactly?

I don't generally care about physiques, but Ohno has looked particularly bad lately. He looks like a former 300+ pound guy who has dropped some weight without adding any muscle. I'm sure his conditioning is just fine, but his look is honestly distracting right now, especially since his gimmick is bad-ass striker. Having said that, I agree that if they really wanted him on the main roster, they'd just put him in a singlet and call it a day.

Maybe Ohno can just get covered in tattoos to distract from his physique. 

That and a jiu jitsu hoodie and he is set. I wonder why they let Christian back on TV if they are that concerned about physique.

That and a jiu jitsu hoodie and he is set. I wonder why they let Christian back on TV if they are that concerned about physique.

Christian doesn't have much muscle but he at least looks "solid" and doesn't "jiggle around" when he moves. Hero could easily achieve a decent body fat level for now and then focus on bulking up in the future if needed.

The WWE is a performance art. They want their performers to fit a certain body image. FSW is right. You can't cast John Goodman in a role meant for Leonardo DiCaprio. You need to look a certain way they want you to look.

But, yeah, my first thought w/ this was someone was hinting for Hero to get on the juice and he doesn't want to. It still is rasslin' here and it's still scummy as hell. There's a ton of dudes on the roster (or who own the company) still gassed out of their minds.

You actually can blame genetics for "being fat", as you call it. Metabolic rate is inherently genetic. It's not the only factor, sure, but it's a major one. 

The WWE is a performance art. They want their performers to fit a certain body image. FSW is right. You can't cast John Goodman in a role meant for Leonardo DiCaprio. You need to look a certain way they want you to look.

On the contrary. Goodman would've been awesome as Calvin Candie in Django Unchained. Plus, the #2 draw in the entire fucking company has what Triple H has called a "skinnyfat" build. People don't give a shit about jacked up physiques when EVERYBODY in the company has it. It's no longer special.

• Like 1

But, yeah, my first thought w/ this was someone was hinting for Hero to get on the juice and he doesn't want to. It still is rasslin' here and it's still scummy as hell. There's a ton of dudes on the roster (or who own the company) still gassed out of their minds.

I'll tell you one thing, John Goodman would have gotten off that fucking boat alive.

• Like 6