DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

TNA's house show in Cape Girardeau was messed up by Missouri State Athletic Commission licensing issues as six people(including Sabin) were held off the show.  Ouch.

Tom Pritchard worked an indy show in St. Louis last weekend and had a major hassle with his own license...sounds like he just barely got the go-ahead to work his scheduled match:

Tom Prichard @drtomprichard 13 Jul

The St Louis wrestling commission is a JOKE! #Incompetence

Most indy feds don't bother with Missouri and run in the surrounding states instead...don't blame them.

Harley Race's WLW is one of the only groups that still runs regularly in Missouri.  The group Pritchard worked(MMWA) got burned a few years ago when they brought in Rhino and his paperwork wasn't done in time for him to wrestle.  There are about a half-dozen indy groups in the greater St. Louis area and all but MMWA just run on the Illinois side of the river.

Sounds like this is a textbook example of the office telling a guy to get on the juice, without telling him directly to get on the juice. He just isnt showing that commitment it takes to be a WWE Superstar.

If this is true it would not be about being on the juice, most of the current guy's physiques are achievable natural (Bryan, Punk, Del Rio, Axel, Ambrose, Rollins, Jericho, Christian, Sandow, Usos, Rhodes, etc.) Even Orton's level of physique can be attained without roids even though he used them. However Hero's physique is bad bordering on embarrasing. 

Posted Image

If they have asked him to hit the gym to improve his physique and he hasn't done it, it shows work ethic problems. If Vince and co doubt your work ethic you might be screwed.

• Like 1

I've always wondered about athletic commissions. What exactly is their role nowadays related to wrestling? What kind of paperwork does a promotion/wrestler need?

It's always struck me as weird that the athletic commission gets involved in what is essentially a piece of theatre rather than a sporting event.

However Hero's physique is bad bordering on embarrasing. 

Posted Image

Is this really all that different than the physique of Barry Windham or young Dustin Rhodes? Is he having cardio problems? Is he having trouble lifting opponents? If no then this is just another case of people expecting wrestlers to look like body builders or Abercrombie & Fitch models.

• Like 3

Name a shirtless guy in WWE who isn't pretty cut?

If you're not a big dude (Henry), hillbilly (Wyatts), or legend, then you're probably going to be expected to wrestle with your shirt off in short tights.

Ohno's physique isn't acceptable by WWE standards (It was actually the first thing I noticed when I saw him on NXT: "That guy does not look like a Vince/Triple H kind-of guy"), even the dorky cowards in WWE (Heath Slater, Sandow, Santino) are in ridiculous shape.  Ohno's neither a big guy, hillbilly or legend, so if he wants to be on the main roster, he better get in some kind of decent shape, or at least feign like he's trying.

Is this really all that different than the physique of Barry Windham or young Dustin Rhodes? Is he having cardio problems? Is he having trouble lifting opponents? If no then this is just another case of people expecting wrestlers to look like body builders or Abercrombie & Fitch models.

For better or worse, the WWE has seen the end of the days of guys looking like they regularly did in the '70s & '80s. It is what it is. You can argue it's counter-productive, & potentially leads to steroid use, but can you imagine it changing any time soon? Even if Vince steps down you'd imagine HHH is keen on the body building look. It's what pro wrestling is now to the wider public. I'd not call it "borderline embarrassing" myself, because I'd be quite happy with a body like that myself. But I can see why it'd hold him back in the WWE.

Besides, he's looked better than that in the past. There was a while on the indies where he'd clearly worked on his muscle definition & looked, at the very least, passable by WWE standards. I'm lazy so just picked the first half-decent photo I could find.

Posted Image

Isn't Ohno about 6'5"? I guess compared to Henry he isn't a big guy, but I'm sure he would pass the eye test for most. Just put him in a singlet and be done with it. I'm still doubting the validity of this story. I feel it's more likely they would call him up and then force Michael Cole to make snide remarks about his belly on commentary then keep him on NXT. 

• Like 1

How much time were they giving Hero to get bigger? It's not like he can put on slabs of muscle in a few weeks, and there's a limit to how much he can put on even with steroids. Still, though, it's not like they were asking him to kill puppies.

The physique that is passible in WWE does not require steroids. Sure there are a some guys that are on them, and it probably helps them get pushed but it is not a requirement to be on steroids You just have to be in shape at least.

Frankly it shouldn't be too hard to work out a little and watch your diet especially with so much at stake. If he still looked like in that picture that elbowdrop posted this probably wouldn't be an issue. That type of physique just takes a couple hours a weeks at the gym.

The physique that is passible in WWE does not require steroids. Sure there are a some guys that are on them, and it probably helps them get pushed but it is not a requirement to be on steroids You just have to be in shape at least.

Frankly it shouldn't be too hard to work out a little and watch your diet especially with so much at stake. If he still looked like in that picture that elbowdrop posted this probably wouldn't be an issue. That type of physique just takes a couple hours a weeks at the gym.

At my most "giving a shit", I spent a couple of hours a week at the gym, and looked nothing like that.  More like a couple of hours a day.

At my most "giving a shit", I spent a couple of hours a week at the gym, and looked nothing like that.  More like a couple of hours a day.

Then you may have been lifting incorrectly, started with a lot of body fat, or gave up to quickly.

In that pic he doesn't have much muscle, he looks ripped but that's mostly from diet. I hate to sound like a douche but if this is truly an issue for WWE it's really not too hard to get into passable shape naturally, it just takes a little hard work and some self control.

Edit: I do think these are just dirt sheet rumors, and if they really wanted him up they would call him up regardless of physique.

On last week's SD (7/12), JBL claimed that Jericho has taken on every top star of the last 20 years, including Vader at his peak.   I'm almost positive that this never happened.  Anyone else catch this?

Did he work him in njpw or germany?

I've always wondered about athletic commissions. What exactly is their role nowadays related to wrestling? What kind of paperwork does a promotion/wrestler need?It's always struck me as weird that the athletic commission gets involved in what is essentially a piece of theatre rather than a sporting event.

In this particular commission, which I have experience with, since they are a big part of the reason I'm no longer wrestling, their purpose is to make sure no one but Harley Race can run shows.

In this particular commission, which I have experience with, since they are a big part of the reason I'm no longer wrestling, their purpose is to make sure no one but Harley Race can run shows.

There is something so perfectly pro wrestling about the athletic commission being just as carny as the business to help out one dude and his shows. 

• Like 1

There is something so perfectly pro wrestling about the athletic commission being just as carny as the business to help out one dude and his shows.

That's just the tip of the iceberg on the bullshittiness (a word I just invented) of this commission. I'm getting hot just thinking of it.

AND THEY ARE LOSING THE STATE MONEY by chasing everyone out of town. Exactly the opposite of what they're supposed to be accomplishing. It's bad for them, it's bad for the promotors, it's bad for the wrestlers, it's bad for the fans. I hate bureaucrats.

If no then this is just another case of people expecting wrestlers to look like body builders or Abercrombie & Fitch models.

For most wrestlers, I'd go with the standard that they expect them to have a body that wouldn't get them laughed at if they claimed they were a UFC fighter.