DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

I would say that Homicide's best match belongs to Danielson, or if we include more than singles matches, it would be the ROH cage of death.

I would say Roddy Strong's best match is probably one of the ones against Erick Stevens. I don't remember any of his tag matches with Aries.

Man, Big Evil Taker was having great matches with Flair, Jeff Hardy, and Brock Lesnar during that time period.  He was awesome.

When he first came back as American Bad Ass UnderBiker, he was kind of crappy for a few months. But then he worked his way back into shape and was fantastic again.

The notion that Angle brings UP Rey is the kind of thing that makes me hate star ratings, because...  No.

• Like 1

Yep... Prepare to throw up...

Posted Image

And for the people that don't remember what Stevens looked like before...

Tell me that last photo doesn't look like Ben Stiller's head photoshopped onto someone else's body.

Randy Orton apparently got injured tonight at the Smackdown tapings (He was in the post-show main event, so either he got hurt then or didn't feel it until after).  

Minor Spoilers, so I'll put the news in here

At Tuesday night’s SmackDown television taping, Mr. Money in the Bank Randy Orton was injured during his match against World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio. 

According to WWE medical personnel, the nine-time World Champion suffered a cervical strain and cervical neuropraxia. 

Check back with WWE.com for details as they become available.

One site says full recovery from neuropraxia can take 8-10 weeks.

My favorite Shawn/Undertaker match is the Casket Match. I probably watched that match a hundred times.

Where does Rock vs Brock from Summerslam rate as far as either man's best match?

I'm a Rock vs. Ken Shamrock, guy myself. The one with knux. I can't tell you how many times I watched that one.I would rather watch it over just about any Rocky Epic. IC ladder match with Trips is good. I think Rock Brock is probably up there. Crowd was crazy, Rock was nuts, Brock was maybe the scariest dude on the planet. Yeah, I could buy that being their best. I really don't care for him vs. Austin.A random fun project would be to pick a guy and have people nominate his best matches, then we watch and compare to create a definitive DVDVR list of each guy's beat matches.
  • Like 1

Tell me that last photo doesn't look like Ben Stiller's head photoshopped onto someone else's body.

I'm seeing more Kevin Dillon, but either way, that is a scary transformation for a guy who had a beefy build like Stevens. I'll admit to not knowing the first thing about what makes a good body builder, but it's also odd to me because he doesn't look especially muscular now either. He has very little body fat and good definition, but otherwise he looks like a little kid posing in front of the mirror. That awful Chuck Taylor-esque haircut isn't helping the matter either.

So I've been thinking about something recently. Which wrestler has had the highest number of opponents have their career best match against them? For example, John Cena is responsible for the best ever matches from Khali, Lashley, Umaga and arguably CM Punk. I hope everyone can understand what I'm trying to say, I don't think I'm doing the most eloquent job.

I also think everyone is probably playing for second place behind Flair. If we discount Flair from the discussion, who do you think is number one?

Interesting question, I'd agree with your John Cena picks. Here's my attempt:

Bryan Danielson: Roderick Strong, Jimmy Rave, Alex Shelley, KENTA, Takeshi Morishima and Sheamus.

Bret Hart: Mr. Perfect, British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Kevin Nash and Steve Austin.

Eddie Guerrero: Dean Malenko, Rey Mysterio and JBL.

Kenta Kobashi: Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue.

The Undertaker: Shawn Michaels (and vice versa) and Brock Lesnar.

Samoa Joe: AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels.

Man, Big Evil Taker was having great matches with Flair, Jeff Hardy, and Brock Lesnar during that time period. He was awesome.

When he first came back as American Bad Ass UnderBiker, he was kind of crappy for a few months. But then he worked his way back into shape and was fantastic again.

Right you are. 2002 is a contender for The Undertaker's best ever year with 1996, 1997, 2007 and 2008.

Rock/Jericho from No Mercy (I think) 2002 is both man's best match by a pretty wide margin.  (Cue The Natural agreeing with me....  HERE)

No Mercy 2001 and we're in agreement : ).

Kenta Kobashi: Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue.

I'd give Kobashi a bunch of AJ/NOAH guys, but not the rest of the big 4. Those go to Misawa, and even if you think 6/9/95 was the best match any of them were ever in, it's still a wash. I still the prefer the higher-end Misawa/Kawada and Misawa/Kobashi singles to that tag, but I wouldn't argue too much. A Misawa/Kobashi run-off would be interesting...

Misawa: Kawada, Kobashi, Taue, Akiyama (?), Jumbo (?), Vader (?), Saito, InoueKobashi: Hansen, Dr. Death, Takayama, Sasaki (?), Nakajima (?), Furnas, Lafon

I'd give Kobashi a bunch of AJ/NOAH guys, but not the rest of the big 4. Those go to Misawa, and even if you think 6/9/95 was the best match any of them were ever in, it's still a wash. I still the prefer the higher-end Misawa/Kawada and Misawa/Kobashi singles to that tag, but I wouldn't argue too much. A Misawa/Kobashi run-off would be interesting...

Misawa: Kawada, Kobashi, Taue, Akiyama (?), Jumbo (?), Vader (?), Saito, InoueKobashi: Hansen, Dr. Death, Takayama, Sasaki (?), Nakajima (?), Furnas, Lafon

I didn't do anybody outside the AJPW Big 4 as I don't think I'd seen enough of others to judge it. I had Misawa/Kawada/Taue as Kobashi's best for the 6/9/95 tag team match which is the best AJPW match I've ever seen and the best match any of them were ever in.