DVDVR Message Board

July Wrestling Catch-All

What you are asking for seems impossible, like some super-responsible fandom where everyone is not only reacting but trying to guage how best to help the good guys (the workers) or how to send the right message to the bad guy (Vince).  That's like trying to enforce the rules of March Madness. 

Wrestling is pretty unique in the crowd interaction.  It is something that would kill most other types of theater because they don't know how or can't respond to it.  It's a huge wild card in this type of show. 

Thing is, that is the logical result of how the company alternately ignores or uses crowd reactions to change things or force things through.  In a way Vince has left the door open to the notion that crowd response can be martialed to affect things (Fandango's push maybe?) but at the same time he fucking hates the crowd for not doing what he wants them to.

This board is kind of the same.  The crowd is ruining everything!  But the thing is, they are the only truly real thing in the show.  The one thing you can't book totally and can't fake (at least until post production and Coliseum Home Video).  They are the reality that the bookers have to work through.

I don't know where I'm going with this.  But, there is probably a way in which coming to terms and rolling with "the crowd" without getting pissy about them is the most important step in being a professional wrestler.  But it's not a step I have to take because I'm not a professional wrestler.

Part of my idea is influenced by a conversation with my wife where we were talking about doing artistic protests on the street. And she said she'd rather do promotions. Which is to say instead of being ANTI something, be PRO something. For example the phrase Pro-Life is better sounding than Anti-Abortion(I'm not debating the intention just the semantics so don't derail here). So why not celebrate what we like about wrestling than continue to hang on to the bad. Promote the good stuff.

In wrestling a fan can do this one of two ways, boo that bad guys and cheer the good guys. Both are promoting a character either way. For me, I don't like John Cena's character, so instead of chanting "You can't Wrestle" I just sit on my hands. I think the sound of crickets is more devastating to a wrestler than mindless chatter and smarky chants. I think if we're going to try and shape the WWE through our crowd interactions, we need to be smarter about it(excuse the pun). As opposed to buying tickets just to boo. What does Vince care one way or the other if you're still tuning in? He's still getting paid. Chant Husky Harris all you want, he's still counting your money backstage.

I don't care much for WWE right now, so I don't even watch it. Why watch it just to shit on it? I keep up with it through this board and whatever gets recommended to me. At this point I only watch Mark Henry promos and Daniel Bryan matches on youtube. I'm promoting the good. I don't bother with the bad.

• Like 1

I think that holds true for all media.

Why read shitty comics or see crappy movies,that you know are bad? Youve given the producers (not the creators, generally) your money, so why should they care what you think?

Even if its a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, its really all one consumer can do.

• Like 1

My thing w/ the Husky chant is who the hell cares he's Husky Harris? If this is some sort of smark reaction to VInce coming up with a dumb name for a guy five years ago, well, didn't they fix that problem by coming up with a new name for the dude. Let alone he's hitting grand slams with the role.I hope they just ignore the chants. Screw the 5% of fans in the crowd who can't appreciate it. I'm afraid if they do address it -- "I played by their rules with their names" -- then he'll have to deal with Husky chants for a lot longer.Someone (Stroud, I think?) said reports at the live show were that the Husky chants were drowned out really quickly with a "That was awesome" chant.

But as far as smarks shitting on characters and gimmicks -- what can you do at this point? It's just hopeless trying to book to them.

If he's good enough, he'll overcome it.  I think people need to relax with the overpraise for the gimmick.  It's still yet to be seen if it translates to a larger audience. 

Is he any good in the ring? That's mostly what I care about. The promos are range fine for psychobabble, and are more interesting than general cocky heel promos we've been getting, but if he wrestles like Kizarny then...you know. What's he done in FCW/NXT that's worth watching?

EDIT: Elbowdrop's...signature...ridiculous.

The true test is the Raw after the MITB ppv.  It's safe to assume the Philly smarks will be Husky'ing it up as soon as he appears but the next night they're in Brooklyn.  If the fans in attendance for RAW are still shitting on him then we might be in for a Tensai 2.0 situation.

It seems noticeable to me that wrestlers don't know how to work a crowd anymore. Only a small group with strong instincts/smarts and charisma get reactions; or more more specifically build a reaction. Even they can't always get the appropriate reactions. No surprise though.

This is 100% the desired reaction of the WWE system & style, and that it what they strive for and send guys to development for.  The WWE doesn't want wrestlers to work a crowd and draw a reaction, they want the crowd to react to what has been written, and the "superstars" just play the role they are given.  This is why they have developmental, and why they have production scripts and so forth.  They want guys to work the camera, and for Cole & Lawler to tell you how to react. 

Is part of this that the writers now rely on talking rather than good story to get people over?  The wrestlers shouldn't have to lift all the weight.  If the story is good, a short reaction promo is all that's needed, but if you're whole popularity scale is based only on who is the most clever smartass, then you rely on 20 minute vlog promos and you end up with feuds like Cena/Rock where the whole story is "Did you hear what he said!!!???"  "Yeah!  But did you hear what HE SAID BACK!!!????OMG WHAT WILL SOMEONE  SAY NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!.

Part of this is the eradication of managers.  Part of it is also that anything that gets an "unauthorized reaction" gets either buried, or repackaged in an effort to control it for the purposes of containing reactions.  Examples include Zack Ryder, Fandango. 

In wrestling a fan can do this one of two ways, boo that bad guys and cheer the good guys. Both are promoting a character either way. For me, I don't like John Cena's character, so instead of chanting "You can't Wrestle" I just sit on my hands. I think the sound of crickets is more devastating to a wrestler than mindless chatter and smarky chants. I think if we're going to try and shape the WWE through our crowd interactions, we need to be smarter about it(excuse the pun). As opposed to buying tickets just to boo. What does Vince care one way or the other if you're still tuning in? He's still getting paid. Chant Husky Harris all you want, he's still counting your money backstage.

I don't care much for WWE right now, so I don't even watch it. Why watch it just to shit on it? I keep up with it through this board and whatever gets recommended to me. At this point I only watch Mark Henry promos and Daniel Bryan matches on youtube. I'm promoting the good. I don't bother with the bad.

I back this 1000%  I quit watching WWE a decade ago.  I might check things out of I hear they are worth seeing, but nothing WWE puts out is "Must See TV".  So many fans seem to have this attitude that the WWE belongs to the people, and that they have some kind of rights in the whole matter.  I call it "bitch & watchsyndrome", where they watch Raw every week and bitch incessantly about how awful it is, and then turn right around and watch it the next week, buy tickets when it comes to town, and make vacation plans to attend WM.  The WWE doesn't give two shits about you if you support the product blindly, because that money is as good as gold already.  This is why they go after the fringe fan, and book Rock at Mania, or bring back Lesnar, or have Snooki & Maria Menuonos win matches on PPV.  They want the money that they do not already get.  Your voice as a fan is with the wallet, and if you support a shit product, you get a shit product.  

• Like 1

I'm sure Curtis Axel is so happy right now that "Michael McGillicutty" is just completely unchantable.

Ha ha, that legit cracked me up.  I do think they kind of avoided that shit with him by just admitting they are giving him a new name onscreen. 

Is he any good in the ring? That's mostly what I care about. The promos are range fine for psychobabble, and are more interesting than general cocky heel promos we've been getting, but if he wrestles like Kizarny then...you know. What's he done in FCW/NXT that's worth watching?

I think he's real good.  A big brawler with good psychology that can hustle around the ring like a smaller guy.  He's got all the tools to actually be what people used to hype Samoa Joe up as being.

Steamboat feud is worth checking out.  Tag work with brother Bo is good too.  Mostly just promo work as Bray Wyatt because various injuries kept sidelining him for most of the character's life.

I'm sure Curtis Axel is so happy right now that "Michael McGillicutty" is just completely unchantable.

mac-gill-uh-cut-ee *clap clap clap clap clap* mac-gill-uh-cut-ee *clap clap clap clap clap*

People were giving Undertaker the 'WHAT' treatment.  People just ain't care anymore.  And it's not just wrestling crowds.  People are just rude in general.  They've become empowered by the belief that they're immune from anyone ever slapping them upside their head.

• Like 2

Ha ha, that legit cracked me up.  I do think they kind of avoided that shit with him by just admitting they are giving him a new name onscreen. 

They freely admitted the same about Tensai from his first appearance.  Didn't help.

I kinda find it amusing that some people actually think that the fans are making some sort of "statement" with their Albert and Husky chants.  Let's call a spade a spade and just recognize that these people are being assy and trying to make their friends (and the Internet) laugh.  It's the same sort of person who writes a show report for Meltz and goes on about what chants they tried to start.

• Like 1

They freely admitted the same about Tensai from his first appearance.  Didn't help.

That's true.  Maybe it was just the power of the beginning of the dawning of the era of the age of McGillicuty that kept the chants from starting.

That's true.  Maybe it was just the power of the beginning of the dawning of the era of the age of McGillicuty that kept the chants from starting.

Curtis Axel is really fortunate it's hard to say "beginning of the dawning etc etc etc" is hard to say five times fast, much less chant.

I think WWE opened the floodgates when they gushed about that post WM crowd this year. More and more crowds are going to try and get that kind of recognition, and most of the time its going to fail.

• Like 1

I didn't mind the post-WM crowd one bit. They were really invested the whole night. They made Fandango's career -- it's a dumb (in the best way) character and the fans enjoyed the ridiculousness of it. The pop for Dolph's title win was an absolutely awesome moment. They popped hard for Ryback's turn on Cena. They pooped on the Orton/Sheamus match but screw those guys -- they mailed in that feud (with Orton forgetting his lines) and it showed and celebrated Big Show knocking them out. And even them turning on that match was done in a bizarrely positive manner since they chanted the names of various people in celebration.It was a heel-fan crowd but they were engaged throughout.The Husky Harris thing was just a bunch of dolts. If they hate the product so much why didn't they do a mass boring chant during the neverending Vicke segment?