DVDVR Message Board

New Japan Cup 2015!

Kevin Wilson

NJCup15.JPG

The tournament is from March 5th to March 15th.  For those that don't read Japanese, the First Round (in order) is:

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano
Kota Ibushi vs. Doc Gallows
Tetsuya Naito vs. Karl Anderson
Kazuchika Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale
Togi Makabe vs. Tomoaki Honma
YOSHI-HASHI vs. Yujiro Takahashi
Hirooki Goto vs. Yuji Nagata
Satoshi Kojima vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Styles, Ishii, and Nakamura are not in the tournament since the winner gets to challenge one of them for their titles.  So who ya got?  

For those interested in such things I am having a Tournament Pick'em over at Puroresu Central, with the winning prize being a box of King of Pro Wrestling cards :).  So feel free to enter if you feel so inclined, you can just post your tournament predictions in this thread and I'll count it if you prefer.

Well the last year, the board overwhelmingly picked Shibata to win, and he got bounced first round.  So that makes it dead on that we're not all picking Okada this year.

I'd go out and say Semi's would be Ibushi/Okada and Makabe/Goto.

Or Gedo could swerve us and Shibata actually win this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, if you already know the results, Naito vs Ibushi is actually a pretty bad match.  Everyone hyped it all day, and of course spoiled the winner.  I watched it and thought it was just really not good.  Naito brought nothing as usual.

• Like 1

I watched that match and thought it was alright, but not a blow away affair. I saw a lot of people say ****+ stars, and that it was must see, but watching it I kept thinking it was okay but not hitting on all cylinders. Naito selling the neck/shoulder after the the piledriver type move off the reversal was great though. I'll give him credit there. He still looks like a goof though.

Really, really good show in my opinion. Even the non-tournament matches were pretty good.

Naito/Ibushi was the match that people hyped? I thought the final match was better. Was Naito actually hurt in the Ibushi match or is his selling just that good?

Ibushi vs. Styles is an absolute dream match of Lesnar/Bryan poportions in my opinion. Can't wait for that.

Loved the shenanigans between Honma and Shibata. Cody Hall will be in the WWE before the end of the year.

Jesus, that Cody lariat was ridiculous and that match as a whole was really good. Honma might be the best in the world right now. He's so fucking good at engaging the crowd and building up to his moves. He and Shibata being the odd couple that still manages to win could and should be a long-term thing.

Hall's green as turtle shit still and looks like he hasn't grown into his massive frame yet but he's got some really good spots and some of his moves are done incredibly crisply (the scorpion death drop was so tight) and some that need a lot of work (as Moe noted, that corner lariat was the worst). He has a great deal of potential.