DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 26: Shogun vs. Sonnen (8/17/2013) - Boston, MA (TD Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

He's the Uriah Hall 1.0. There are a bunch of guys on the roster whose careers would be served better if they were in Bellator. They're not crappy enough to go back to the local circuit or good enough to consistently put together back-to-back wins in the UFC. All Uriah Hall would do if he got cut is go 5-0 w/ 5 KOs in the SoCal bum circuit or some money mark Asian promotion and then get signed by the UFC again only to be cut a few fights later. He still could be a quality pickup for a secondary promotion.

I dunno, could he even perform in Bellator?  Just seems like the dude mentally  checks out when it's time to fight on the big show.  Looks like he decided he wanted to be a florist instead of fight tonight.

He's the Uriah Hall 1.0. There are a bunch of guys on the roster whose careers would be served better if they were in Bellator. They're not crappy enough to go back to the local circuit or good enough to consistently put together back-to-back wins in the UFC. All Uriah Hall would do if he got cut is go 5-0 w/ 5 KOs in the SoCal bum circuit or some money mark Asian promotion and then get signed by the UFC again only to be cut a few fights later. He still could be a quality pickup for a secondary promotion.

I dunno, could he even perform in Bellator?  

Absolutely. This man would ice Dan Cramer in a jiffy. Most of those dudes are guys he would excel against. I think the small problem would be that fans would see him going back to KO'ing dudes and believe that he got on track instead of looking at the environment he was thriving in.

So this is the end of the UFC trying to sell Overeem as a contender right?  After washing out as a Light Heavyweight, and subsequently juicing himself into a 265 heavyweight he still has the glassiest of all glass jaws.  He has more drug suspensions than wins, he gets paid tons of money, and if he wasn't built like superman, he would have been gone a long time ago.  Maybe they should match him up with Shogun, who has a unique talent to smashing Overeem into, in the words of Mike Tyson, Bolivian.

You're pretty far off on a lot of different levels.  Overeem isn't a guy the UFC is trying to put over as a contender that shouldn't have been there.  He was a contender right off the bat based on merit and his actual position amongst the other HW's in the division.  He came into the UFC off of a win over Werdum and his first fight in the UFC was a win over Lesnar.  So he was a legit contender. 

And you say if he wasn't built like Superman he'd have been gone a long time ago.  When? This was his third fight in the UFC.  It's not like he's some longtime company guy that's getting a pass for stuff. 

He's probably done as a contender because he's had the lights shut off twice in a row.  He's got the skill level to get a win over anyone in the HW division but he's never going to be a guy that rattles off a win streak because he's prone to going out now.  I don't think as a fighter you come back from that.  I don't even know that the UFC keeps him at this point.  Two stoppage losses in a row is a tough one.  He's in Andrei Arlovski territory now. 

I think they keep him for at least one more fight since heavyweight is SO thin. Probably on free TV again so they don't have to pay him PPV points. They already paid him his ridiculous $1,000,000 signing bonus, so at this point it's just his show money.

Reem vs. Hunt or Nelson would still be a good fight for a TV card. If he loses to them then he's out for sure.

You're pretty far off on a lot of different levels.  Overeem isn't a guy the UFC is trying to put over as a contender that shouldn't have been there.  He was a contender right off the bat based on merit and his actual position amongst the other HW's in the division.  He came into the UFC off of a win over Werdum and his first fight in the UFC was a win over Lesnar.  So he was a legit contender. 

And you say if he wasn't built like Superman he'd have been gone a long time ago.  When? This was his third fight in the UFC.  It's not like he's some longtime company guy that's getting a pass for stuff. 

Overeem was a legit contender if you ignore the obvious juicing that includes the failed drug tests. The Werdum and Lesnar wins are undeniably big wins.  My comments were based on the fact that before those two wins he was a light heavyweight who got smashed by all of the relevant fighters that he fought.  He juiced himself into a super heavyweight and smashed tomato can after tomato can.  He was the Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion for years, but couldn't fight into the states, because he couldn't pass a drug test.  The UFC was trying to get him into a title fight, which is understandable because he looks like a guy who should be heavyweight champion.  He just isn't the guy who is going to be the champion when fighting capable fighters.  He is just a blown up light heavyweight kickboxer with a glass jaw. 

This is wrong on so many levels as well.  Overeem had no merit to justify being a contender.  Since moving to heavyweight, he spent years fighting easy fights to build up an impressive looking record.  His one top 10 fight pre-UFC (Werdum) had him looking like garbage.  The only thing of note was winning K-1 and that is a totally different sport.  Fact is, Lorenzo, who personally signed him, got hypnotized by his big muscles.

That's one of the dumbest things I've read.  In the landscape of the HW division you can't deny a guy is a legit title contender when he has back to back wins over Werdum and Lesnar.  There's just no amount of ridiculousness you can impose on those two wins to take away the fact that they are indeed two back to back wins over top ten HW's. 

Overeem was a legit contender if you ignore the obvious juicing that includes the failed drug tests. The Werdum and Lesnar wins are undeniably big wins.  My comments were based on the fact that before those two wins he was a light heavyweight who got smashed by all of the relevant fighters that he fought.  He juiced himself into a super heavyweight and smashed tomato can after tomato can.  He was the Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion for years, but couldn't fight into the states, because he couldn't pass a drug test.  The UFC was trying to get him into a title fight, which is understandable because he looks like a guy who should be heavyweight champion.  He just isn't the guy who is going to be the champion when fighting capable fighters.  He is just a blown up light heavyweight kickboxer with a glass jaw. 

Does Overeem have more than one failed drug test? I thought it was just the one in the UFC.  I disagree on that being the reason he didn't fight in Strikeforce for so long after he got the title.  Their HW division was nonexistent for a long time.  He was making plenty of money fighting K-1 and Dream in that time period. 

ANYONE can fight in the United States. Literally, anyone who is still breathing can. Freakin' Gabe Brown fought on a Roy Jones Jr. undercard in MSG. Kyle Maynard fought in Alabama for God's sake (IIRC my great state of Mississippi was helpful in allowing that chicanery). What you mean is he couldn't fight in Nevada or California and to a lesser extent New Jersey.

He failed one drug test, but there have been other suspicious testosterone issues before and after fights.  I'm not arguing that he didn't win those two fights, or that they weren't good enough wins to get a title shot.  I'm saying that every fight he has been in since being in the UFC has been a title eliminator, despite there being obvious reasons to not put that kind of confidence in him.  If he wins another fight in the UFC I just don't want to hear about him being talked about getting a title shot.

That's one of the dumbest things I've read.  In the landscape of the HW division you can't deny a guy is a legit title contender when he has back to back wins over Werdum and Lesnar.  There's just no amount of ridiculousness you can impose on those two wins to take away the fact that they are indeed two back to back wins over top ten HW's. 

I was talking pre-UFC, which is what I thought you were talking about.  As for beating Lesnar, uh, well...okay.  It makes you a contender in Dana's eyes I guess.

re: Overeem:

one failed drug test (for high testosterone, no steroids detected)

he was the 2010 K1 champion

as an mma heavyweight, he: split a series with Kharitonov, beat Paul Buentello, Mark Hunt, Brett Rogers, Todd Duffee, and Fabricio Werdum. He also faced (a WAY past his prime) Cro-Cop, which went to a no contest, and entered himself into the StrikeForce Grand Prix whilst holding the SF and Dream heavyweight titles.

granted, none of this is the absolute best of the absolute best, but who else was there for him to face outside of the UFC? the biggest names (Fedor, Bigfoot, Barnett) were all also in the GrandPrix.

With his first fight in the UFC being a KO of a Brock Lesnar fresh off losing his title, i see no problem with him being the #1 contender.

That makes his refusal to continue in the tournament (because of a toe injury) all the more better.  Sure, he escaped Bigfoot for Brock, but it all eventually caught up with him.  And Brock was off a year plus after losing the title and had been severely ill (to the point he withdrew from the JDS match, if you believe that story).

That makes his refusal to continue in the tournament (because of a toe injury) all the more better.  Sure, he escaped Bigfoot for Brock, but it all eventually caught up with him.  And Brock was off a year plus after losing the title and had been severely ill (to the point he withdrew from the JDS match, if you believe that story).

Toe injury=Zuffa refusing to pay a third party instead of Overeem.  His management (Team Golden Glory) wanted Zuffa to pay them with the promise that they would in turn pay Overeem.  Overeem left their management soon after. 

In his failed test his testosterone was 14 to 1 which is more than twice the 6 to 1 which is the cutoff.  His testosterone levels after the Silva fight were described as dangerously low(180 nanograms per deciliter. 400 nanograms is normal), which can be attributed to prolonged steroid use.  He would be eligible for testosterone replacement therapy if he didn't already have a positive test.  I don't know why Chael Sonnen gets a pass.

Because the NSAC's policy is to not grant TRT exemptions to users who have tested positive for steroid use in the past.  Sonnen didn't test positive for steroids, he tested for higher than allowable levels of testosterone.  Same for Overeem.  As far as I know Overeem would most likely be approved for TRT if he chose to go that route but he hasn't.  And this is the NSAC.  I know that Nate Marquardt tested positive for steroids and then later for elevated testosterone and still got an exemption for testosterone.