DVDVR Message Board

Jon Stewart to retire from The Daily Show later this year

Ace

Incredible sendoff. I hadn't watched The Daily Show in a couple of years but I used to watch it every night, so watching the finale still got to me and being that I did most of my watching while I was in college (shocker, I know), this kinda felt like the official ending of that chapter of my life, even if I've been out of college for several years. Colbert was awesome and him bringing Jon to tears was just tremendous. I was also thrilled we got to see John Oliver. All the correspondents making appearances was terrific. This felt like SNL 40 if SNL 40 wasn't bloated and everyone wanted to be there with each other. Farewell Jon... good luck Trevor.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Punks have always been at the bottom of whatever kind of food chain there is. Rich assholes trying to bite their style is the least punk thing ever and I consider it a personal insult.

Even if I wasn't into punk though, it goes back to when I was a kid and wanted to buy a Korn shirt because it looked cool, but I had never listened to the band before, so I thought "well, I better at least listen to them if I'm gonna sport their shit". (Thankfully, I eventually heard Korn and therefore never bought that shirt.) If Timbaland isn't listening to Crass, and I 99.9% guarantee he isn't, then I don't want their logo anywhere near his wardrobe.

• Like 1

Punks have always been at the bottom of whatever kind of food chain there is. Rich assholes trying to bite their style is the least punk thing ever and I consider it a personal insult.

Let's call this a "good stopping point" and move on.

Any opinions on Trevor Noah's time so far?

I think he's doing fine. His foreword about the Paris attacks, in comparison to what Jon would have come up with, was incredibly subdued and even-handed. He's got plenty of time to grow those callouses on his heart from announcing the same shit over and over again. The new crew is good too, Roy Wood Jr. and the pregnant gal (I still haven't remembered everyones name yet) in particular. That said I still think The Nightly Show is better and @Midnight is funnier. 

Has anybody been watching Colbert since he went to the big leagues? I honestly haven't watched past the second episode.

I think he's doing fine. His foreword about the Paris attacks, in comparison to what Jon would have come up with, was incredibly subdued and even-handed. He's got plenty of time to grow those callouses on his heart from announcing the same shit over and over again. The new crew is good too, Roy Wood Jr. and the pregnant gal (I still haven't remembered everyones name yet) in particular. That said I still think The Nightly Show is better and @Midnight is funnier. 

I guess you never saw his open after the Charleston shootings.