DVDVR Message Board

Jon Stewart to retire from The Daily Show later this year

Ace

I didn't know about his time at Harvard, but was aware of him not actually living here. I just find him really hilarious. There's also something about his face or facial expressions that add a bit more punch to his jokes. I don't know if I'm making sense, but some people just look like they're funny and he looks like that to me. Maybe it's because he looks like he's full of joy and is having a good time.

I really had no idea who Trevor Noah was until he got named to the slot. His stand-up special popped on Netflix. I've got it on now. I'm giving him six months on The Daily Show before we move on. His stuff, at least on this, essentially boils down to "dude doing a lot of zany voices." There's really not much to it. It's also really repetitive.

It really seems like Comedy Central wanted to have a Jon Oliver Part II and get a modern age Alexis de Tocquesville foreign outsider view of America. But if this stand-up show is an indication of what's coming up, there's a gigantic car wreck ahead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Deadspin covered this too and had no idea what Seth Rollins was doing there our what his connection to Jon was. You have a writer that covers wrestling for fucks sake and you've had articles cover Jon on Raw.

Maybe instead of getting up in arms over the deletion of an article, they should give a shit about not looking totally clueless.

So a few months back, I said this:

For a while, I thought they were looking at Wyatt Cenac as "the next guy," but then he rather unceremoniously left. And not for a bigger, better gig, which leads me to believe he's not as tight with Stewart as once thought.

Yesterday, I read this:

Wyatt Cenac quit the Daily Show after an apparently legendary, blowout argument with Stewart regarding a racist Hermain Cain impression

• Like 1

Deadspin covered this too and had no idea what Seth Rollins was doing there our what his connection to Jon was. You have a writer that covers wrestling for fucks sake and you've had articles cover Jon on Raw.

Maybe instead of getting up in arms over the deletion of an article, they should give a shit about not looking totally clueless.

I think the confusion is what Seth's connection to Arby's is, not to Jon.  The writer of that article is the same one that wrote about Stewart interacting with Seth on Raw.

Then they aren't familiar with the gag then, since Jon Hamm, along with many others, have made this same appearance to take a look back through the Daily Show history.

So a few months back, I said this:

For a while, I thought they were looking at Wyatt Cenac as "the next guy," but then he rather unceremoniously left. And not for a bigger, better gig, which leads me to believe he's not as tight with Stewart as once thought.

Yesterday, I read this:

Wyatt Cenac quit the Daily Show after an apparently legendary, blowout argument with Stewart regarding a racist Hermain Cain impression

If you listen to Cenac's recent WTF interview which I suggest you do it's an interesting listen he goes into detail about the fight him and Jon had.

Well, Wyatt showed. Which they even played off of, Jon eating some deserved humble pie in their coded way I suppose. 

But speaking aside from that, I thought it was great. His Camera 3 segment was about as close to Carlin as we're gonna get these days, seeing everybody that's been on there was great, and the politicians alone showing up to diss him in that bit was perfect. Good luck Jon... we'll see you on a podcast. 

Trevor, you got some big shoes to fill.

• Like 1

Of any finale I've watched, that was the hardest. The last 5 minutes were devastating and I'm happy Jon revisited Bullshit Mountain. My three predictions were that every correspondent would be brought back, there would be a callback to Bullshit Mountain, and there would be a huge, unexpected guest interview. So 2/3, but Colbert's extremely heartfelt moment more than made up for that last one.

Happy trails, Jon.

I felt sorry for Mo Rocca and the other guy getting crickets, but hey, they got have to some screentime. On the other side of the spectrum, Colbert had a deafening reaction. I almost expected Jon Stewart to be like, "My God, I almost forgot the 4th Horseman, Stephen Colbert, come on down!"

Wyatt Cenac's cameo had me in stitches.

Yeah, people not responding to Mo Rocca was strange. I could swear he had a long tenure there, longer than some of the other correspondents. Rob Corddry's response from the crowd was way bigger than I imagined it would be. It was pretty huge. I think he's hilarious, but did Hot Tub Time Machine, Children's Hospital and Baller's really make him that big of a star?

I don't think it's so much about him being a star as it is about him being extremely recognizable from doing a bunch of other stuff besides The Daily Show. He's a working actor in mainstream projects, which is more than you can say for a bunch of former correspondents.

I don't think Gad's appeared since after his one-shot for not winning the Tony for Book of Mormon. Mo Rocca is definitely less visible than Corddry. Cordrry's got the various film franchises and television shows. Mo Rocca's on CBS morning news and radio.

Mo Rocca's heyday on the show was 15 years ago. That's like the Attitude Era of TDS to all the millennials who make up the audience now.

That's roughly the same reaction Gangrel would get if he showed up on Raw next week.

Now I can only think about Jericho's story about how Gangrel got fired. Gangrel takes a bump and his shirt flies up revealing this massive flabby gut, which draws this visceral, repulsed reaction from Vince sitting in the gorilla position.