DVDVR Message Board

Jon Stewart to retire from The Daily Show later this year

Ace

Of all the ideas, I like Tina Fey the best.  It'd be like a spinoff of Weekend Update and she was awesome in that role.  Not sure what she's doing now, but she'd be great at it if they're up for tossing enough money at her.

She's producing a show on Netflix starring Ellie Kemper. It's apparently getting good reviews.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shit, really? I like Trevor Noah and all but even him being on the show didn't put him on my radar. A black guy from South Africa, yeah that's gonna go real well with Fox News haha...

You know, thinking about it, he's a great fit. Young, great sense of sarcasm, and his vocal impressions are spot on. 

I guess I haven't been watching enough lately, because I had no idea who this was or that he was even on the show.

He has been on maybe 2 or 3 times before in small segments and was good FWIW. I like his demeanor though on the show and from some of the standup work I've seen.

And the shitstorm is so hellaciously overplayed. Part of it is due to this nation's complete hard-on for Israel. Netanyahu can kill a puppy on live television and any blowback will automatically be seen as anti-semetic.

That being said, Comedy Central should've had a staff member go over the account before the announcement to have 'em scrubbed. 

• Like 1

As a Jew who gets more and more tired of Israel's shit every day, I'm trying to remember when exactly "against Israeli policies" = "anti-Semite."

• Like 4

The next natural step is for people to start saying that he's only catching this much shit because he's black and white comedians have said way worse about Jews.

Those jokes were nothing big at all. There's a history of the rappers/Jewish executives one, and the one about the Jewish kid is tasteless but sorta funny. Tempest in a teapot.

• Like 1

He is becoming the host of a late night TV show that's not exactly PC in the first place. He ain't running for public office.

But he's also "fat shaming" with his jokes about women, which to theprogressive Twitter sphere is far worse than joking about Israel.

He is becoming the host of a late night TV show that's not exactly PC in the first place. He ain't running for public office.

But he's also "fat shaming" with his jokes about women, which to theprogressive Twitter sphere is far worse than joking about Israel.

I dare a comedian make jokes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, watching Bassem on the Daily Show last night makes me think Comedy Central went with the wrong guy and I like Trevor Noah. Hopefully Bassem makes regular appearances.

That bit was fun, yeah. Bassem's done this spot for Jon once or twice before... I could totally see him doing the gig full time, but he's actually a Fellow at Harvard now which may have made it untenable.