DVDVR Message Board

Jon Stewart to retire from The Daily Show later this year

Ace

Moshe gets on my nerves kinda. He is an ultra hipster, but I don't think he would pull in anyone outside a certain demographic.

He has moments that don't sit right with me. I remember that one Champs podcast with Anthony Anderson where he (Moshe) was talking about growing up on food stamps in Oakland. Then, Anthony tested his knowledge a bit and you could tell that Moshe had no fucking idea what he was talking about.

I think he has this "I identify with you" type of mentality that comes off as fake or inauthentic. I am not saying Stewart never had those moments, but at least Jon can admit he is a bit out of touch and also be a little non PC. If someone tried to challenge Moshe on womens' rights, I think he would be way more passionate than logical based on knowing his opinions. The only upside for having him doing it is Comedy Central knows he will play ball on just about anything. That goes especially compared to a lot of the other suggestions I've seen brought up.

I just have no idea who could do it. I'm mainly going off of his stand-up material and listening to every single Champs podcast. Aside from what you mentioned, my other concern is that where Jon could be measured and sharp when attacking Fox News or whoever, I could see Moshe letting anger take over and getting flustered.

I just have no idea who could do it. I'm mainly going off of his stand-up material and listening to every single Champs podcast. Aside from what you mentioned, my other concern is that where Jon could be measured and sharp when attacking Fox News or whoever, I could see Moshe letting anger take over and getting flustered.

Other than potential fakeness, that's my main gripe.

Can you imagine Moshe trying to interview some GOP rep?

"I dare you! My mother is a WOMAN!"

It wouldn't even engender the obligatory left-wing crowd applause because people know that's just babble. I'm talking meltdown mode.

Other than potential fakeness, that's my main gripe.

Can you imagine Moshe trying to interview some GOP rep?

"I dare you! My mother is a WOMAN!"

It wouldn't even engender the obligatory left-wing crowd applause because people know that's just babble. I'm talking meltdown mode.

I know nothing about this guy, but now I want to see it, because it sound like a beautiful disaster.

+1 for the Norm MacDonald suggestion.

Joel McHale wouldn't surpise me, but the two names that keep popping up in my head, in this order, are:

1. Amy Poehler

2. Sarah Silverman

The job pays well, no reason they couldn't get an a-list star. They want a big name who's gonna make a splash. Depending on how poorly his movies have been doing, another name that popped into my mind would be Will Ferrell. That's kinda doubtful, but certainly possible.

I'm scared the show's gonna move more into that Fallon (and probably Colbert on CBS) realm of pandering to the Internet, with memes and tweets and instagrams and all that bullshit. I fucking can't stand that @midnight show, it's basically all I hate about today's culture.

I'm scared the show's gonna move more into that Fallon (and probably Colbert on CBS) realm of pandering to the Internet, with memes and tweets and instagrams and all that bullshit. I fucking can't stand that @midnight show, it's basically all I hate about today's culture.

It's not pandering, it's parody, and it's a showcase for the best young comedians in the country to spit off one-liners like a new Who's Line Is It Anyway. You might not like the topics but they're trashed so thoroughly I don't understand the disgust. Save that for Tosh.0.

• Like 1

We'll agree to disagree. The parody is still pandering, with the panelists "famous" for three things:

1. Having a podcast. They all have podcasts.

2. Tossing out one-liners on Twitter. They all do that.

3. Having a devoted, tiny "fanbase" like every nothing-happening "punkpopcore" band to ever get a mention on Spin's website and play a 2 p.m. slot at an Austin comic book store during SXSW. Their fans are like Kristen Schall on "Flight of the Conchords" except there's a dozen of them instead of just one. "HE RETWEETED ME~!"

Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass.

Note the "famous" in quotes. We already have enough Internet darling bands, we don't need Internet darling comics. And what the world needs now is another podcast like I need a hole in my head, but it's all these people can do - podcasts and waiting for the phone to ring from @midnight, the patron saint of Internet darling comics. "Can you make fun of Facebook and Twitter, the comedy equivalent of picking on the kid with Downs? Yeah, we'll let you mention your podcast."

As Bart Simpson so wisely put it, "We need another Vietnam to thin out their ranks a little."

Man, the down mood over on the RAW thread is infecting everything.  If you asked me a few days ago if there was anything less likely to fight about that THE SOUND OF MUSIC, (Hi, Oscars thread) I would say "I don't know, maybe Ron Funches in a sweater making fun of Craigslist pervs?"

But here we are.  I blame Curtis Axel's annoying fanbase.

Joel McHale wouldn't surpise me, but the two names that keep popping up in my head, in this order, are:

1. Amy Poehler

2. Sarah Silverman

The job pays well, no reason they couldn't get an a-list star. They want a big name who's gonna make a splash. Depending on how poorly his movies have been doing, another name that popped into my mind would be Will Ferrell. That's kinda doubtful, but certainly possible.

I would love if they could land Tina Fey. . . 

• Like 1

Of all the ideas, I like Tina Fey the best.  It'd be like a spinoff of Weekend Update and she was awesome in that role.  Not sure what she's doing now, but she'd be great at it if they're up for tossing enough money at her.