DVDVR Message Board

Jon Stewart to retire from The Daily Show later this year

Ace

It's pretty clear that they love Jessica Williams at TDS, but she doesn't have the experience to host the show.

In terms of TDS contributors, I'd like to see Kristen Schaal get the job, but she's probably involved with too many other projects to devote herself to the show.

I love Jessica Williams too, but her personality wouldn't hold up that well for 25 minutes every night.

In my opinion, none of the current Daily Show roster has that. It's tough just being halfway funny for two and half minutes once or twice a week. They can't pick someone who is just going eat it four times a week. That would be bad.

• Like 1

The casting depends on what kind of show you want to do.

Kilborne's show was so completely different than what TDS was under Stewart. It was mostly a combination of Weekend Update but also a huge spoof of local news affiliates with stuff like the Green Grocer and what have you. You can't really go back to that formula since local TV news isn't much of a thing anymore because we consume media so differently now. Someone somewhere could do a great spoof of all the dumb AM WAKE UP! shows (and it should be Dean Ambrose) but that wouldn't really work for a primetime show.

Stewart was a known entity well before he got TDS. He had a MTV show and I think a syndicated show? He was also a big comedian who was in that world between a club comic and a theater comic -- sort of like a Marc Maron level today. He was on all the talk shows (when that still mattered a ton) a bunch. He had the gravitas to come in and transform the show into what it became. (And as much as I rag on it and think it's overrated, it's a cultural landmark and for a good reason.)

I don't know of anyone out there right now who could fill in Stewart's news anchor role. I don't know of any big touring comic out there right now who is as political as Stewart was. The Daily Show works best when it's a media critic. I don't know of anyone who can do the "funny Ed Morrow" role Stewart perfected.

You have to match the show to someone's personality. I love Kirstin Schaal but she's at her best as a weirdo alt.comic. (And she's AWESOME at it.) She can't do a female news anchor bit.

It's a huge property. But it's sort of in a position to fail after Stewart leaves. If they try to keep it the same without Stewart, it's not going to work. If they change the show to meet the new host's sensibilities, there's a really good chance that people are going to hate it for not being what TDS was.

Reading this thread made me catch the last two episode of John Oliver's show.  Upon seeing them I literally thought to myself "Why the fuck am I just now watching this?!"  This show is great!

I remember it odd at first seeing Stewart on Daily Show.  I first saw the MTV show he did and it took a couple years to get that out of my mind when watching him.  I liked him though, especially for the time I was right in line with his way of thinking.  But after seeing John Oliver, I'll miss Stewart but not that much.

John Fugelsang is funny, has been around a long time.  His politics might be too far left for the show though.  Plus it would set off too many "another cis, white, hetero male in late night tv!" articles. He's slightly younger than Stewart. Probably not a good fit though.

Oliver is the one guy who probably could have bridged the gap.

God I bet that the execs are kicking themselves over the (then perfectly understandable) decision to let him walk.

It really wasn't understandable at all, though. This is a rare occasion where I agree with Bill Simmons on something: It was insanely dumb of Comedy Central not to sign Oliver to a holding contract before letting him take that long-term substitute gig on TDS. It was idiotic that they put themselves in a position where he could make himself a star and then immediately bolt.

I love Jessica Williams too, but her personality wouldn't hold up that well for 25 minutes every night.

In my opinion, none of the current Daily Show roster has that. It's tough just being halfway funny for two and half minutes once or twice a week. They can't pick someone who is just going eat it four times a week. That would be bad.

Yeah, there really isn't anyone. If Jason Jones and Samantha Bee were going to happen, I think they would've happened by now. Plus, I think they're pretty content raising their kids and operating on the periphery.

For a while, I thought they were looking at Wyatt Cenac as "the next guy," but then he rather unceremoniously left. And not for a bigger, better gig, which leads me to believe he's not as tight with Stewart as once thought.

Yeah, there really isn't anyone. If Jason Jones and Samantha Bee were going to happen, I think they would've happened by now. Plus, I think they're pretty content raising their kids and operating on the periphery.

For a while, I thought they were looking at Wyatt Cenac as "the next guy," but then he rather unceremoniously left. And not for a bigger, better gig, which leads me to believe he's not as tight with Stewart as once thought.

But do you really want to pay him host money when you have two superstars who as far as you know aren't going anywhere. They had no spot for Oliver to justify the money to keep him.