DVDVR Message Board

Jon Stewart to retire from The Daily Show later this year

Ace

(CUT TO: News clip of obnoxious Fox News/MSNBC/Republican/etc. saying something dumb. CUT TO: Jon Stewart making an outraged face and pausing.)

STEWART: (Repeats exactly what was just said at the end of the video clip but in a higher pitched voice denoting more outrage.)

(CUE: Snarky laughter mixed in with some "WOOOOOOOOOOS!".)

Repeat for 10+ years. And there you have The Daily Show.

So... You never watched an episode?

• Like 1

I kept waiting for Comedy Central to put someone next to Jon Stewart that do what Kilborn did, but that never happened. Instead, it became Jon Stewart grabbing low hanging fruit (FOX news hypocrisy, Republicans, etc.)

Well, if he's doing an American current events show, that's going to involve a significant amount of American politics.  And it doesn't strike me as fair to ask him not to go after half of the US political establishment because they're "low hanging fruit". 

If you don't want to watch it because Republican hijinks in the headlines are sufficient comedy for you, I can't blame you.  But it's not really Stewart's fault that half of the country wants to be led by "low hanging fruit".

Look at the difference between The Daily Show and Jon Oliver. They aren't even in the same league. ,

This week's Last Week Tonight about pharmaceutical marketing practices was brilliant. It was also great reporting that informed about an issue many (most?) people don't know about on a very important topic and explained what's outrageous about it. 

It was also hilarious. And it's because the jokes can breath and develop. I think too much of Stewart's punchlines are reaction shocks of someone saying something dumb or a one line retort. Oliver's punchlines build off of each other and are very much into metaphors. I think too much of Stewart is "X is dumb!" Oliver's material is "X is dumb, but is it any dumber than Y?" The joke writing is a lot more elevated along with the actual issue being talked about.

Oliver's show is like the political comedy version of The Economist -- smart, nuanced and it makes you smarter. Stewart's show is like a cable news broadcast that gives you what you already want to hear. It's what it mocks.

• Like 1

I watched the first part of an episode of the Nightly Show (with Larry Wilmore) and it was ab-so-lutely awful. I wanted to like it, but it wouldn't let me. Comedy Central's gonna have to dig deep here. They might pull it off, there might be someone out there who can do it.

Or they give the 11 p.m. slot to @Eleven with Chris Hardwick and then do some kinda Daily Show with the correspondents and Wilmore back.

There's very little about non-reality-show TV that's more spiteful than that damn @Midnight show. All I wanna see one time is L.A. Park come out and hit all those assholes repeatedly with a chair.

The easy solution: The Daily Show with Craig Ferguson - amirite, El Dragon?

• Like 2

I watched the first part of an episode of the Nightly Show (with Larry Wilmore) and it was ab-so-lutely awful. I wanted to like it, but it wouldn't let me. Comedy Central's gonna have to dig deep here. They might pull it off, there might be someone out there who can do it.

Or they give the 11 p.m. slot to @Eleven with Chris Hardwick and then do some kinda Daily Show with the correspondents and Wilmore back.

There's very little about non-reality-show TV that's more spiteful than that damn @Midnight show. All I wanna see one time is L.A. Park come out and hit all those assholes repeatedly with a chair.

The easy solution: The Daily Show with Craig Ferguson - amirite, El Dragon?

At this point the panel and Kept it 100 (this is the best segment) are the parts of the Nightly show worth watching.

I don't get how Stewart is the "low hanging fruit guy" when Kilborn had skits making fun of people who believed in aliens. 

Oliver's the better show, but he also has the privilege of being once a week and on HBO.  You can't have a nightly show that's digging into the more structural/macro level problems like Oliver is nightly.  Stewart has his problems, but it's generally a smart take on the news of the day, and good for at least a few laughs.

I'll admit that the "JON STEWART ANNIHILATES FOX NEWS HOST!!!" Uproxx clickbait going away will be nice, but Stewart even had segments making fun of those.

The announcement last night was very heartfelt.  Wilmore was even teary-eyed when mentioning it on TNS.  As for Wilmore, I think he can get his shit together, but he needs to have fewer segments.  The panel is wasted.

I don't get how Stewart is the "low hanging fruit guy" when Kilborn had skits making fun of people who believed in aliens. 

Oliver's the better show, but he also has the privilege of being once a week and on HBO.  You can't have a nightly show that's digging into the more structural/macro level problems like Oliver is nightly.  Stewart has his problems, but it's generally a smart take on the news of the day, and good for at least a few laughs.

That's a big one.  Plus Oliver doesn't have to worry about the advertising masters to built around.  He's allow to do a 15 minute segment on one topic without interruption, which is pretty great.  Additionally, Oliver's show is still fresh right now.  If it's on as long Stewart's, people will have their complaints.  Someone will declare it stale at some point, etc.

I'm not saying Jon Stewart's Daily Show was the best comedy show ever or anything.   Still the show had an influence; like it or not.

• Like 1

(CUT TO: News clip of obnoxious Fox News/MSNBC/Republican/etc. saying something dumb. CUT TO: Jon Stewart making an outraged face and pausing.)

STEWART: (Repeats exactly what was just said at the end of the video clip but in a higher pitched voice denoting more outrage.)

Jon Stewart IS the bastard liberal stepchild of Arsenio Hall and Wally George!

And a closet full of Emmy awards and legit cultural cache. Yeah, Jon won at TV.