DVDVR Message Board

Jon Stewart to retire from The Daily Show later this year

Ace

Apparently, he announced it during tonight's taping.

From the AV Club:

Ending one of the most venerable and trusted careers in making a complete mockery of the news, Jon Stewart has announced that he is stepping down as host of The Daily Show. According to sources who were there (some of whom are already passing word along on social media), Stewart let the news slip at the taping of today’s episode, telling those in the audience that he’s retiring. No word yet on when exactly he’s leaving, whether this means he’s ending his time in the anchor chair to focus on being a Serious Movie Director now, or just how much this is Brian Williams’ fault. Presumably all of this information will be revealed in time—and delivered by Stewart himself tonight on your television. We’ll update when we have more.

And Comedy Central's statement:

PQ1ec98.jpg

Oh dear God this is awful.

Jessica Williams is too SNL-y for me.  I'd much rather Sam Bee.

Sam and Jason didn't exactly do a bang up job for the episode where Jon was out sick. I think a lot of that probably can be attributed to Jason being nervous as hell and Wyatt being the guest short notice. However, I didn't see a ton of promise there. Just let them stay correspondents imo.

Oliver murdered it two summers ago though. You will get no argument about that.

Good. Maybe Kilborn will come back and make the show funny again.

Yeah, I never really warmed up to Jon Stewart at all.

Kilborn was like your standard news anchor that delivered the news with a sardonic edge, while you mostly got Jon Stewart's opinions about the news. You could figure Kilborn's opinion by how he told it to you rather than Stewart pretty much beating it over your head with it.

I kept waiting for Comedy Central to put someone next to Jon Stewart that do what Kilborn did, but that never happened. Instead, it became Jon Stewart grabbing low hanging fruit (FOX news hypocrisy, Republicans, etc.)

• Like 2

Kilborn was like your standard news anchor that delivered the news with a sardonic edge, while you mostly got Jon Stewart's opinions about the news. You could figure Kilborn's opinion by how he told it to you rather than Stewart pretty much beating it over your head with it.

I kept waiting for Comedy Central to put someone next to Jon Stewart that do what Kilborn did, but that never happened. Instead, it became Jon Stewart grabbing low hanging fruit (FOX news hypocrisy, Republicans, etc.) And the funniest show in TV history.

FTFY

• Like 1

I kept waiting for Comedy Central to put someone next to Jon Stewart that do what Kilborn did, but that never happened. Instead, it became Jon Stewart grabbing low hanging fruit (FOX news hypocrisy, Republicans, etc.)

Oh yeah man the thought of never having to see another trending blurb on facebook every time Jon Stewart "goes off" about the niche cable news channel my 90-year-old grandma watches makes me very happy.

Yeah, I don't get why he didn't just hand it over before Oliver jumped ship.  They don't have anyone else of that caliber anymore.

I kept waiting for Comedy Central to put someone next to Jon Stewart that do what Kilborn did, but that never happened. Instead, it became Jon Stewart grabbing low hanging fruit (FOX news hypocrisy, Republicans, etc.) And the funniest show in TV history.

FTFY

Well, I'd argue that Colbert was the better show.  But Kilborn was pretty minor league.

This, Colbert and Andrew Sullivan all going down in a matter of months if fucking disastrous.  If the drones finally get Glenn Greenwald, I'll have nothing left.

• Like 1

Where were all these Craig Kilborn fans when he had that show on Fox with the woman from Step by Step a couple of years ago?

He could have use your help then; two or three commentators from here could have really moved that ratings needle.

• Like 2

I used to watch the Daily Show every night/day after (ditto for Colbert) but had to cut them out due to not really having the time anymore and rarely staying up that late (ironically posting this right as the Daily Show is about to start). I enjoyed both, liked Colbert more but also liked Stewart. I wasn't one who relied on either show as their primary news source, so I didn't really feel out of the loop, but this (and Colbert leaving) make me kinda sad.

That said, I'm grateful for John Oliver as his show is legit appointment TV/DVR. Selfishly I hope he doesn't replace Stewart because I enjoy him so much on Last Week Tonight and don't think he'd be able to duplicate that greatness to a nightly show.

As for a Stewart replacement, I'm totally against Jessica Williams. Maybe she's improved since I last watched, but I thought she was terrible. Granted, I didn't really love any of the correspondents except Oliver (although I do think Sam Bee is legit funny), so I'm hoping they go out of the current family for the next host.

Change it to "The Daly show" and give it to Andy Daly.

Works for me, specially if we get Forrest MacNeil skits in there every now and then.

(CUT TO: News clip of obnoxious Fox News/MSNBC/Republican/etc. saying something dumb. CUT TO: Jon Stewart making an outraged face and pausing.)

STEWART: (Repeats exactly what was just said at the end of the video clip but in a higher pitched voice denoting more outrage.)

(CUE: Snarky laughter mixed in with some "WOOOOOOOOOOS!".)

Repeat for 10+ years. And there you have The Daily Show.

• Like 3

Well, if he's doing an American current events show, that's going to involve a significant amount of American politics.  And it doesn't strike me as fair to ask him not to go after half of the US political establishment because they're "low hanging fruit". 

If you don't want to watch it because Republican hijinks in the headlines are sufficient comedy for you, I can't blame you.  But it's not really Stewart's fault that half of the country wants to be led by "low hanging fruit".