DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Did I miss it or has Burt Watson quitting the UFC not been discussed at all here?

Not that it has stopped anyone before, but probably because there hasn't been a ton of concrete info. First, it was something related to Mark Munoz coming back from his weight cut. Then, it wasn't. Okay then.

Breen had a crazy story about a pipe falling on his head in Mexico City. I think whatever happened is probably a culmination of stuff. The guy basically went to EVERY event. People like that aren't gonna quit over just one argument.

You're telling me that in the fourteen years he worked there (since UFC 30 mind you), last week was his first real run-in with someone of significance? As a result, he quit. Ok, sure.

Come on now. The dude basically got knocked out backstage at a UFC event in November and worked the event anyway like the shit didn't happen.

It sounds like whatever happened is gonna stay between Watson and the UFC so I guess people can only speculate. However, it's hard to believe something when someone's "sources" basically got the first version wrong and then switched it to something else entirely. Yeah, I will wait until someone credible actually says what happened.

You're telling me that in the fourteen years he worked there (since UFC 30 mind you), last week was his first real run-in with someone of significance? As a result, he quit. Ok, sure

Am I telling you that? Might want to check that again.  All I'm saying is that pride can get the best of anyone.  I'm sure it's not the first words he's had with anyone but it very well could be the first incident where something happened where Dana sided with a fighter over him.  That's actually a pretty normal occurrence.  If you had an incident with someone at work and felt justified only to have your boss side with the other person, that might indeed prompt you to start looking for other work.  A calm, logical person might dismiss it or start looking at other options.  An illogical person might quit on the spot. 

And FWIW it doesn't sound like the first story was wrong by the sources since Munoz confirmed there was an incident with Watson but it was unrelated to the other incident which was apparently the catalyst. 

You're telling me that in the fourteen years he worked there (since UFC 30 mind you), last week was his first real run-in with someone of significance? As a result, he quit. Ok, sure

Am I telling you that? Might want to check that again.  All I'm saying is that pride can get the best of anyone.  I'm sure it's not the first words he's had with anyone but it very well could be the first incident where something happened where Dana sided with a fighter over him.  That's actually a pretty normal occurrence.  If you had an incident with someone at work and felt justified only to have your boss side with the other person, that might indeed prompt you to start looking for other work.  A calm, logical person might dismiss it or start looking at other options.  An illogical person might quit on the spot. 

And FWIW it doesn't sound like the first story was wrong by the sources since Munoz confirmed there was an incident with Watson but it was unrelated to the other incident which was apparently the catalyst. 

I am not saying you specifically as I am talking about FRB (and those people blindly putting his stuff out there on their websites) and get your point. However, that's the reason I am bringing up the UFC 180 thing. Pride also goes the other way meaning I can see this guy soldiering easily through bullshit like that. Ronda ain't the first or only person Dana has been infatuated with. Lorenzo, Dana, and the other guys have their favorites (Hence, Dana's "Conor Fertitta" line this past weekend at that presser). So I really can't call Burt Watson illogical or shit on Ronda's camp if the real story isn't actually out there. Maybe he had a few bad things go down over a series of events and decided that doing all this travel and taking all that stress on at his age isn't the smartest thing to do. Personally, I just find that way more plausible than one event being what ended a long tenure. That's underestimating some of the shitty places they've ran and how hard his job is.

I was more surprised that no one mentioned a guy who has been around as long as Burt Watson leaving the UFC, than the Ronda connection. To me, the cause is secondary, it's going to be a huge change for the fighters without him around. It will be interesting to see how events are run from here on out. 

There are probably 1 or 2 people in-house (even if they weren't vetted by Watson himself) or from past organizations that would love that spot. If they are actually good at it or can deal with egos and personalities is a whole different issue.

"Did someone say something to me that I didn't like? Yes.  And did it escalate to another level? Yes, it did.  A lot of it was me just being the person that I am.  If I feel I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, and I'm doing it right, it's hard for me to adjust to somebody coming and telling me that it's being done wrong, or that I did something that I shouldn't have done.  I take pride in doing what I do, baby.  I take pride in people putting something in my hands and walking away and not worry about it getting done, or getting done right, or getting done honestly, or not having to have to worry about it.  But there are times when I can't, I mean, you know, I'm a hood rat from Philly.  If somebody says something sometimes I may not think it through to address it, but I'm going to address it, with a swiftness, and quickly."

- Burt Watson

He does deny it having anything specifically to do with Ronda or Munoz. 

Saunders is out of his fight w/ Erick Silva.

Basically confirming what is in the latest Wrestling Observer, Dana White said in an interview with Kenny Rice last night (filmed maybe a couple weeks ago) that the UFC is reserving a date at MSG. He kinda alluded towards December. I don't think there are adding a date, but the big events are UFC 194 on 12/5 and a UFC on Fox on 12/19. While Meltzer was talking about Lesnar/Mir 3 and either Jones and/or Weidman headlining, I think it's a bit too soon to jump on what could possibly be on that show.

Guest Edwin

Jones and Weidman have been pushing to fight at MSG. Maybe they have one co-headline and the other headline. I know Jones has mainly been pushing for the spot plus he's the bigger star of 2 so maybe they'll give him the shot.

Alves/Condit would've been so awesome a couple of years ago, but at this point in their careers, I think Condit should take it.

I would favor Condit considering that too, but it's always murky when you're dealing with someone coming off a long layoff. Condit has been in the game for a minute now too. A lot of people thought Condit was gonna destroy Woodley and look how that fight turned out. I think Condit tries to fight in a carefully crafted way, and it works to his detriment sometimes. He tried to wait until Woodley got tired, and Woodley got to him before that could even happen. A defined, pre-planned strategy is great but it shouldn't actually be based on one set of circumstances.

Guest Edwin

Speaking of long layoffs, since coming back from his long layoff, Alves hasn't looked to hot. Sure he beat Baczynski and stopped Mein, but he didn't look as good as he used to and that's not exactly Condit level comp. I think Condit should outpoint Alves to a decision.

It would've been so much better years ago though with Alves trying to brutalize Condit's thighs with heavy leg kicks and Condit going for takedowns and grappling once he began getting his legs beat up pretty badly by Alves.

Guest Edwin

Josh Koscheck will fight Erick Silva in Rio.

This can go 1 of 2 ways: Kos uses his wrestling to decision Erick or Erick retires Kos. I'm inclined to the first rather than the second.

Sadly Erick seems to struggle with wrestlers, so this maybe a taylormade fight for Kos.

And a year from now, after Dana retires Hendo from UFC, I'm sure we'll get Hendo in a freakshow match in Japan.

Hendo/Wanderlei III, Hendo/Baroni and Hendo/Ishii have a good chance to happen in IGF.

I think I am inclined to agree with Meltzer on this, and I typically don't agree with him on actual fights. Even though I haven't heard him speak about this specific matchup, I know what he is going to say: Koscheck is super done. I think this one is tailor made for Erick Silva. This just screams flash knockdown and being stopped by the referee. Erick Silva might be not be Jesus reincarnated, but he has the advantage of being in a full camp. Kos is coming off a slew of fights where he physically looked depreciated and looked bewildered everytime he got hit with a solid punch. Taking a fight in that state TWO WEEKS after getting viciously choked out basically tells you where his mind is. He doesn't want to sit around and wait for getting a fight from Joe Silva he knows he is mostly likely going to lose anyway. Might as well get it over with and end his career going out on his shield. Knowing all those factors, there is no way I would put any fight against a half decent opponent in his favor.

Guest Edwin

The Brown fight was a FOTY candidate.

And I agree with everything you pretty much stated on the Kos/Erick fight, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kos gets to close the distance and grapples him to a decision.