DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

The one advantage that women's MMA has over the men is that the stigma of "this person was never that good" is not really there yet.

that's because if we started that line of thinking, it would honestly include every female fighter. except Rousey.

Probably but it's not like fans are calling every good female fighter some type of destroyer. It's a bit more clearer who is the cream of the crop though than say....three years ago. I meant it more in a fighters losing steam in a significant way when it comes to support they gain (legitimate or not). That definitely seems to happen to most of the big free agent male signings and prospects. MMA fans are quick to label fighters a bust. People were like "lol the Machida era", but Lyoto is still around kicking the crap out of folks. Almost literally! The same goes for Lawler around the time when he was losing to Lorenz Larkin.

I think the fact a lot of fans have lived through the era of dominant champs has made people stop believing in anyone who isn't at least top 3 in the division. The days of people clinging onto Denis Kang types being the next middleweight great are over. That's kinda scary when it comes to fandom because fighters have gotten significantly better since then and so much stuff isn't taken seriously as it relates to style matchups.

• Like 1

I watched the Countdown for UFC 184 and I really can't find a reason why anyone would want Zingano to lose against Rousey. She seems very likeable or at the very least much more than a Meisha Tate. Her story is the stuff of movies (well TV movies). More importantly she has deserved it with her wins unless Alexis Davis.

I guess if you are one of those people who cares about UFC profits and marketing then maybe you want Rousey to be unstoppable but personally Cat is much easier to root for. That being said it would be incredible upset

I watched the countdown show as well only thing that annoyed me about Cat was "I don't watch tapes of my opponents". C'mon if you didn't do practice defending Judo throws or defending various armbars then you head coach isn't worth anything. I'm now looking forward to the Holm/Pennington co-main event fight as well and I'm now leaning more towards ordering the PPV then going to a sports bar so I can rewatch the ppv whenever I want to.

As for the female fighters discussion A bad female fight is a lot easier to watch then a bad male fight in my opinion.

In what way? I don't get the huge differentiation between men and women fighters. They're all fighters. And if we are going to differentiate, women's MMA is about well behind men's MMA in terms of depth of quality and saturation. You're much, much likelier to see women who have rudimentary skills in all but one aspect of fighting than you are with men. That's nothing against women, as men were the same way going back 10-15 years ago.

I think that came off harsher than I intended it to. I'm just curious as to why people prefer women's MMA over the men. I've watched Invicta cards and enjoyed it. There are clearly some very talented young fighters in WMMA, but they have a lot of polishing to do. On the other hand, there were some awful, awful fighters that really shouldn't be in the "big leagues" of WMMA.

In what way? I don't get the huge differentiation between men and women fighters.

I'm guessing he's basing it on the fact that even if the fight is horrible, there's a chance you can at least glance at some of their physical attributes? Possible?

There are clearly some very talented young fighters in WMMA, but they have a lot of polishing to do. On the other hand, there were some awful, awful fighters that really shouldn't be in the "big leagues" of WMMA.

That's one of the problems with WMMA. Considering it's something that's still in the works per se, there's a ton of fighters who turn pro, yet they're clearly not ready to do so or lack the skill of someone you'd think would be required to be a pro.

In what way? I don't get the huge differentiation between men and women fighters.

I'm guessing he's basing it on the fact that even if the fight is horrible, there's a chance you can at least glance at some of their physical attributes? Possible?

Pretty much a lot easier on the eyes to sit through a bad female fight then a male fight. Though most of the time the female fight on the card delivers so it's a moot point. As I said in my opinion so if you disagree no problem to each it's own.

Looks like today's new episode of UFC Ultimate Insider will mostly focus on the woman behind Rousey/Cat and a feature on the strawweight title fight from TUF 20 finale.

• Like 1

You can add Tecia Torres vs. Angela Hill to UFC 188 as well.

Cathal Pendred vs. Dodger Montano & Yair Rodriguez vs. Charles Rosa along with that.

As a callback to earlier in the thread two more TUF 20 alumni now have there 1st post season fight set. My guess Tecia will be a heavy betting favorite in the fight.

Sub-Zero MMA @SubZeroMMA 10m

Rose Namajunas vs. Nina Ansaroff targeted for UFC Fight Night 68 in New Orleans

Sub-Zero MMA @SubZeroMMA 23m

Jimy Hettes vs. Diego Brandao rescheduled for UFC on FOX 15.

Look forward to seeing how Rose will bounce back from losing in the TUF 20 finals.

Now we just need to see when Randa Markos and Jessica Penne next fights get announced then will see if anyone else from the season gets another fight outside of Heather Jo Clark when she heals from her knee surgery.

Excellent match making by the Joe Silva recently; of those recently mentioned by Elsalvajeloco, Dodson/Makovsky and Melendez/Alvarez are particularly awesome fights.

Melendez/Alvarez has FOTY potential. This was a dream fight with Melendez was at the top of the Strikeforce lightweight division and Alvarez was at the top of the Bellator lightweight division.

Tecia should steamroll Angela and the UFC pretty much gave Rose a fight she should win.

There's a good chance we also see Aisling get another fight in the UFC as she's Irish and a training partner of Conor's. He even appeared on TUF visiting her, so there's a good chance they give her a fight on a future European card or something.