DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

The old thread got a little too bloated.

This thread is for:

- General opinions

- Fight and event cancellations (NOT events that have a thread and are cancelled/ppd.)

- Videos (anything not under the official UFC, Bellator, WSOF, Glory, etc. YouTube/social media accounts or closely affiliated accounts is PROHIBITED. Anything below the AXS or CBS Sports level is fine until further notice. Non-North American content is fine depending on the promotion. Any post asking for official content of the aforementioned promotions, torrents, or streaming links will be immediately deleted w/o hesitation.)

- Fights being made

- Announcements and happenings that don't really need or have their own thread

- Bellator and UFC events that don't have a thread yet

- Signings

- Miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit into any other pinned thread

The 3/21 Rio card has three new additions:

Katsunori Kikuno vs. Edimilson Souza
Christos Giagos vs. Jorge de Oliveira
Bentley Syler vs. Fredy Serrano

Sarah Kaufman vs. Alexis Davis 3 has also been added to UFC 186

Both of those fights should be good.

Agreed. Mostly the second one since I don't know how sustained the first one might be.

Anyway, it sounds like Faber vs. Edgar will be announced tomorrow.

I take it no one is hyped for Manhoef vs. Shlemenko and Curran vs. Weichel. You would think the gap between shows would help but I guess not.

Looking forward to it and will get hyped about it after the NXT special tonight. Also Budd vs. Holloway.

Sarah Kaufman vs. Alexis Davis 3 has also been added to UFC 186

Hopefully it will headline the prelims card but with two title fights on the card I might buy or go to a bar for the main card.

Listening to Cheap Seats on Sirius XM, it sounds like the UFC haven't thrown any options to Lawler yet. However, he is going to end his vacation soon and help his teammates prepare for their fights in April. Lawler says he wants to fight in Vegas in May or July, but he will fight whenever.

Faber vs. Edgar has been main official for the Manila show. It's own FS1 and will be contested at 145 pounds.

Jacare vs. Romero has been officially remade for Newark at UFC on Fox 15 as the co-main.

Cerrone vs. Nurmagomedov is in discussions for 5/23. Khabib has been medically cleared.

Josh Barnett will return to the UFC in the summer.

Struve has moved to the Blackzilians. It's looking like he will fight Minotauro once the TUF Brazil 4 season ends. I'm guessing the 7/12 show.

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 9s

Damn. @arielhelwani reports that Rashad Evan's body rejected cadaver ACL and he's out at least another 6-7 months. That sucks.

Josh Barnett will return to the UFC in the summer.

Damn, I just realized he hasn't fought in over a year.  Is there some reason for this?

I don't think he was too passionate about fighting and decided to do other stuff. Hence, Barnett doing commentary for the New Japan show on AXS. The way Helwani phrased it on UFC Tonight made it sound like he was on the verge of retirement, but didn't want to go out on the Browne fight.

Barnett also did a match or 2 for IGF and cornering his protegé Victor Henry (who should be picked up by the UFC soon as he just beat Masakatsu Ueda by kneebar) in his last couple of fights for GRANDSLAM in Japan so he's been keeping himself busy in Japan as usual.

MMAjunkie @MMAjunkie 2m

Graham Boylan resigns as Cage Warriors CEO, planned March event postponed http://dlvr.it/8Wjjg6  via @MMAjunkie

Wonder if this could be it for Rashad Evans' career.

This happened with King Mo not too long ago. While I don't think this is the end, based on what happened with his boy Mo, I don't think we're going to see the same athleticism we're accustomed to seeing. He's getting up there in terms of age, and it's not like the LHW division has slowed down. Even if he drops down to middleweight, he isn't going to face a Tom Watson or Marcio "Lyoto" to get an easy win like a legit prospect would. Because of his name and salary, he is going to jump headfirst into the deep end. That's extremely tough for anyone who has only had three fights in three years.

Surprised at the lack of talk of those upcoming fights Elsalvaje mentioned (Edgar/Faber, Jacare/Romero and Khabib/Cerrone).

Also Claudinha steamrolls Aisling.

That 5/23 show has the potential to be crazy. Meltzer said the UFC has discussed making Weidman/Belfort the co-main for JBJ/Rumble even though the date hasn't been discussed yet with Weidman (Combate may have jumped the gun). I mean the UFC really has no option but to load that show. Cowboy/Khabib is a legit co-main if one of those main event fights fall out. By adding in that UFC may or may not have the policy of higher weight title fight takes precedence, the 205 or 185 title fight on July 11th would drop Aldo/McGregor to co-main event. Personally, I don't think they want to do that. If they had their preference, the 7/11 co-main event would be Ronda Rousey vs. somebody or even Brock if they could even get that to happen.