DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 60: Henderson vs. Thatch (2/14/2015) - Broomfield, CO (1stBank Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Well, well, well, how do all you cocky motherfuckers feel now?  I've seen this time and time again.  You see guys at weigh-ins and always go for the guy with the bigger muscles.  You all thought Bendo was going to his funeral tonight.  Nope.

MMA is not a bodybuilding contest.  Time and time again, we've seen the smaller, more athletic guys come out on top against the bigger dudes.  

Unbelievable performance by Ben Henderson.  That reminded me of the Ben Henderson who upset Donald Cerrone in the WEC.

I don't think anyone was picking Thatch for his muscles.  

Well, well, well, how do all you cocky motherfuckers feel now?  I've seen this time and time again.  You see guys at weigh-ins and always go for the guy with the bigger muscles.  You all thought Bendo was going to his funeral tonight.  Nope.

MMA is not a bodybuilding contest.  Time and time again, we've seen the smaller, more athletic guys come out on top against the bigger dudes.  

Unbelievable performance by Ben Henderson.  That reminded me of the Ben Henderson who upset Donald Cerrone in the WEC.

I know who you are epwar.  I know how you think.

I know Benson wants to get the taste of that Cerrone decision loss out of his mouth, but he should not have jumped in to take this fight.

Thing is...I dunno how much his BJJ and cardio are going to be tested. He is most likely getting a soft touch next. That's going to end brutally and likely within a round. The number of mid level WWs treading water is kinda astounding. Thatch is going to keep smashing those dudes.

• Like 1

I know who you are epwar.  I know how you think.

I know Benson wants to get the taste of that Cerrone decision loss out of his mouth, but he should not have jumped in to take this fight.

And my feeling there was based off Thatch having a significant reach advantage, dangerous-as-hell muay thai, Benson having just fought, and Benson having been KO'd by dos Anjos just one fight previous to it.  No "OMG! Look at his muscles!"  I STILL think it was a dangerous fight for him to take, but he did all things through Christ and prevailed.  His God is an awesome God.

So Benson won the WW title right? That's what you'd think reading this thread.

Well, he just beat a highly thought of, much bigger, young prospect who hasn't left the first round in years and who many think will be a future champ. in the division.

Well, he just beat a highly thought of, much bigger, young prospect who hasn't left the first round in years and who many think will be a future champ. in the division.

...whose only notable win came against Paulo Thiago (who has not beaten a ranked opponent since 2010).

I honestly don't think the overall reaction was that something groundbreaking happened, but more that people are shocked that Benson beat a legitimate, tough welterweight (flawed or not). I think it's a good win, but like I said, a Benson win only gets folks happy for a moment. His real business is still at LW, and he still has to navigate his way back to a potential title shot.

...whose only notable win came against Paulo Thiago (who has not beaten a ranked opponent since 2010).
...he still however managed to finish them all within 5 minutes which is still an amazing feat. and again, he's still considered a top future contender in the division.

I am not putting any labels on Thatch until he gets at least three or four more fights in the UFC. People thought Steve Cantwell was going be the shit for like 3 months. Thatch can either be a perennial top 5 or 10 welterweight or be a taller, whiter Erick Silva. Too early to tell imo.

I sorta agree with that, but it's not like Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin. That was a bad one. But the thing is, we've seen Benson fight. Even though people make this argument more about Cowboy (which I don't think is valid), I think it should more closely associated with Benson Henderson. The point being we never truly know how he chooses to fight and at what pace. Thus, we get a lot of close decisions and probably underwhelming performances. Hell, people were calling him boring on the board for a hot minute and I had to get people off the ledge. You might get the Benson Henderson who absolutely curbstomped Nate Diaz for 25 minutes or the Benson Henderson who plays with his hair for 1/2 the round. The size disparity played a big part, but most people will side with the more offensive fighter if it's the latter who people expect to show up. If I was a betting man, I wouldn't feel bad about that pick two rounds in. Thatch was landing the more thudding, showy strikes to Benson's investment to the body every now and then. As it turned out, Benson's investment meant more.

UFC Fight Night 60 did a good rating, but something weird happened. The peak was Daniel Kelly vs. Patrick Walsh at 1.07 million viewers. Yeah, MMA fans care more about possibly the worst fight this year than Shlemenko vs. Manhoef.