DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

Bummed out there was no Gene scene. Is this the only season opener without one? Also was an 8 minute montage of his possessions being repo-ed really a good use of time with only 13 episodes left? lol

I loved both episodes. That scene with Kim & The Kettlemans was hardcore. She is most definitely Walter White now.

I'm also happy they had Gus figure out Lalo was alive like instantly. On Breaking Bad they showed him to be super intelligent so glad they didn't make him a dumb dumb for the sake of moving the story along.

Saul slipping with Lalo's name with the DA & detective is going to snowball. That was a small moment that's going to have big consequences.

Nacho is fucked. There's no way out of this one for him. He's the Jesse of this show. And he sure ain't getting that Jesse escape ending.

• Like 2

question about something I didn’t quite pick up on…

Spoiler

Did Mike put the envelope with the accounts & hotel telephone number in Nacho’s safe knowing it would be found by the Salamanca crew? Or was it just a coincidence?

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

question about something I didn’t quite pick up on…

Hide contents

Did Mike put the envelope with the accounts & hotel telephone number in Nacho’s safe knowing it would be found by the Salamanca crew? Or was it just a coincidence?

It was intentional. Gus' plan was for the Salamancas to open his safe, find his location, & kill him. Mike noticed two fake IDs in the safe. One for Nacho & one for his dad. Mike didn't put the one of Nacho's dad back in there because he didn't want the Salamacas to go after an innocent man.

Mike was also banking on Nacho realizing Mike not picking up all those calls was a sign that something was up. It was his way of giving Nacho a lifeline to start questioning his surroundings and get out of the situation alive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It was intentional. Gus' plan was for the Salamancas to open his safe, find his location, & kill him. Mike noticed two fake IDs in the safe. One for Nacho & one for his dad. Mike didn't put the one of Nacho's dad back in there because he didn't want the Salamacas to go after an innocent man.

Mike was also banking on Nacho realizing Mike not picking up all those calls was a sign that something was up. It was his way of giving Nacho a lifeline to start questioning his surroundings and get out of the situation alive.

That’s exactly how I saw it as well...

I love how smart everybody on this show is. Even the dumbass Kettleman’s figured out what Jimmy was up to! This creative team takes no shortcuts. Always going to make the hardest possible choices and figure it out.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, EVA said:

I love how smart everybody on this show is. Even the dumbass Kettleman’s figured out what Jimmy was up to! This creative team takes no shortcuts. Always going to make the hardest possible choices and figure it out.

They're smart without being ridiculous.  Like, there's no "Oh, come on! How'd he figure that out??!?!" moments.  It's all logical conclusions.

Anyone else feel dread as a viewer when the twins show up? They are used so sporadically throughout the BB universe, that it makes their appearances really matter. The moment they showed up to that motel, I knew Nacho was screwed.

Saul trying to be the good person, and Kim becoming a way more competent version of "Slippin' Jimmy" was a turn I never would have expected when the show began. This show fucking rules.

• Like 4

Lalo might be my favourite tv villain of all time, charismatic, smooth, tough, slightly kitsch, but also a stone cold, calculated, menacing, crazy person.

He definitely has that Salamanca psycho killer energy gene they all seem to have.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Called Gus the Chicken Man, called out Hector on giving him sugar pills and everything. It sucks that Nacho wouldn't be alive to know what ultimately happened to Hector and the Chicken Man.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to figure out what Kim and Jimmy are going to do Hamlin to further mess with him. Part of me thinks they're going to steal Hamlin's car and try to sell it or do a wild paint job on it.

And that talk between Huel and Jimmy. Man that is going to be some dialogue that's going to ring really loudly throughout this whole series. Jimmy has already won. He is a successful lawyer. He's married to an incredibly intelligent and beautiful lawyer. While they have a penchant to mess with people every now and then, I think they're ultimately good people. Jimmy has won at life. So why keep doing dumb shit that's going to get him or Kim in trouble? Huel is all of us screaming at Jimmy to stop while he's ahead.

• Like 5

Spoiler

Nacho ended it on his own terms, but because of that it kept the whole shitshow in motion. 

Damn. 

There were two times I had to pause and rewind on this one and it was that and Huell bringing the hammer down on Jimmy. What an hour of television. 

EDIT: And anyone who ever had, let's say a hard conversation with their parents, that phone call was the most brutal thing this series could come up with, despite all that's already happened. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

I am starting to wonder if we never get any closure with Gene. Maybe the closure is that we just have to assume he is in the clear, but he's just living in fear and terror every day that he'll get caught while churning out confections at Cinnabon and that's juxtaposed against just how good of a life he had by seeing what his life was like before he was full Saul Goodman with a gold toilet and all of that crap.