DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

I didnt know how to take that scene...my wife seemed to think it was Kim seeing how far Jimmy would go or if he'd grow a conscience...by the end, we agreed that it was Kim truly instigating Jimmy to ruin Howard's career. Bang Bang.

Edit: PS, Nacho has a long uphill season six ahead. Ouch.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Like 1

I wonder how all of the people who were saying "that's the last shred of Jimmy, it's all Saul now" feel now. I never understood that line of thought. Jimmy isn't a strong individual and is afraid of a lot of shit. Going through a death trek through the desert after nearly being murdered wouldn't suddenly embolden him to just lose all shame.

If anything, I wonder if during BCB we just read Saul wrong and he's not the scumbag we thought he was. Yeah, he dealt with shady shit and was a strip mall attorney, but thinking back, I don't remember him being that much of a scummy person beyond just dealing with questionable business stuff. And we've already seen that being a high-powered attorney working at a place like HHM isn't for Jimmy even though he has the skills to be a high-powered attorney. 

It's either that, or maybe tearing down Howard really emboldens Jimmy to be more adventurous in his business pursuits. I don't know.

And again, my interests in this series are Kim and Nacho and how they make it out if they even do. 

By the way, anyone notice that Gus was even more Walter White-like when discussing Nacho in this episode? He's just incredibly stubborn to a fault. 

• Like 1

We know Nacho makes it out right? Now I'm seriously wondering about Kim. That was almost a full heel turn from her and if they'll pull that, who knows what they'll put next season. Which I wish was already filmed because if they don't get around to it due to circumstances I'm gonna be pissed. 

• Like 1

You picture makes me think of Lalo and Nacho pulling up to the compound, the guard walking up, the window rolls down, and Lalo has the most ridiculous face. He's a piece of shit villain and I hope he does, but I fucking love him. One of the best villains on TV.

• Like 3

I have to praise the cinematography of that episode. I mean the show always looks great, but there were so many good shots. A lot of close ups and angles and cool lighting. We are right in bed with Kim and Jimmy as they conspire on their "fake" plan of revenge. We are close enough to Nacho to feel his heart racing when he sits with Lalo as assassin's wait for his move a few feet away. Also that final shot....goddamn I love this show so much.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

You picture makes me think of Lalo and Nacho pulling up to the compound, the guard walking up, the window rolls down, and Lalo has the most ridiculous face. He's a piece of shit villain and I hope he does, but I fucking love him. One of the best villains on TV.

I love that this universe keeps churning out such distinct, memorable villains. We're into double-digits seasons, and they're still giving us gold like this:

Spoiler

bcs10-lalo-window.gif

• Haha 3

He's the best. He may be the best villain they created (not counting Walter White). I definitely think he's scarier than Gus because Lalo is so disarming when he's affable, but he flips the switch so fast from likable to menacing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Doesn't Gus tell Hector that Lalo is dead after they get back from the Mexican murder plot in Breaking Bad? Wikipedia says he's only mentioned once by Saul in that series but I could swear that was part of it. 

'

No he doesn't. Lalo is so epically superior to all other Salamancas he almost deserves to get out of this thing alive .. given where Bolsa & Fring stand in B.B and the strength of the relationship with Don Eladio, maybe he really does disappear .. would be one for the books if he pops up in the future-verse.

Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan were divided over whether to even bother with Lalo. I think we're all better off with Peter having won that one.

How did Lalo become such an essential character? Not easily. Gilligan and Gould are usually in sync on major creative decisions, but Lalo — the clever Salamanca cousin played by Tony Dalton, who was introduced late in the season and quickly become a fan favorite — was a big sticking point between the two for years. The character was mentioned by Saul Goodman in his first Breaking Bad episode, in a context that suggested Lalo was some kind of bogeyman, but that was all we knew. And after a few years of struggling to figure out who Lalo would be on this show and how he would fit in with the story, Gilligan felt that was all there was to know.

“I’m embarrassed to admit this now,” Gilligan says, “but back in Season One or Two, when I was more active on the show, Peter kept saying, ‘We’ve gotta answer who Lalo is,’ and I finally said, ‘I don’t know that we need to answer every single question.’ And, man, I was wrong. If Peter hadn’t pushed, we wouldn’t have Tony Dalton. We wouldn’t have this amazing character. So, some of the ones that I found the most frustrating to deal with, that I said, ‘Ah, the hell with them. Who cares?’ tend to be the best ones of all.”

Whole article is worth a look:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/better-call-saul-season-5-finale-creators-interview-984340/

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

He's got to be gone before that then. Gus says the Salamanca bloodline is done for. 

Now, how he's gonna get it will be the interesting part...

Not necessarily. Lalo instructed the assassin to relay that the job was done. If he goes off grid, for all they know he is gone. We'll see. If he's sure that Fring/Bolsa arranged the hit (which he will be), it will be a hard sell that Fring is on speaking terms with the cousins (for example) by commencement of B.B.

I honestly think I need to watch this episode again, because there is so much to digest here. I've reached a tipping point where Nacho's story is stressing me out. I just need that dude to find a way out, but I get the feeling that Lalo is going to find him in season 6 and make his life hell.

I'm so disappointed in Kim ?  This might be a weird observation, but they kinda tipped their hand that she was making a turn with her letting her hair down. I saw someone notice a while back that her hair is always up, but her hair was down for most of this episode. The writers of this show don't waste any movements.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

So is it safe to assume Kim is the proverbial ‘man behind the curtain’ who was the real brains behind Saul Goodman in BB?

also, FWIW, I was rooting for Lalo 

If that is the case, then something happened along the way, because Jimmy is alone out there in Omaha in the flash forwards. The idea that he just abandoned Kim in the middle of the night somehow stings even worse than whatever might happen in BCS.

I have a hard time processing the idea that Kim breaks bad completely. Or with her being a presence at all behind the scenes in BB. It is very intriguing with this being a prequel and having to play off the future we already know and the fact that characters like Kim and Lalo ended up being bigger and more impactful than originally planned. In the end I have to trust Gilligan and company to stick the landing.