DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

I have a hard time processing the idea that Kim breaks bad completely. Or with her being a presence at all behind the scenes in BB. It is very intriguing with this being a prequel and having to play off the future we already know and the fact that characters like Kim and Lalo ended up being bigger and more impactful than originally planned. In the end I have to trust Gilligan and company to stick the landing.

I dunno whether El Chapo or any other famous real life cartel leader exists in the Breaking Bad universe, but you would think Gus (via his middle man) would tell his trained killers idc what you do...don't let this motherfucker get to the crawl space. Those dudes could have been crawling from Chihuahua to El Paso.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently went back and rewatched Saul’s first appearances in Breaking Bad and he is waaaay sleazier than I remembered.  

“you are killing me with that boo-tay”

I don’t think he’s even got close to that so far in the series.

His descent into full on sleazy Saul should be great to watch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Something I noticed in the series (well, Breaking Bad) recently is the scene where him, Walt and Jesse meet at the lazer tag place and he talks about his second marriage. WTF? 

Hm.  Maybe just a bullshit story.

I do like the little callbacks to BB, though, like the time BCS paid off that throwaway line in BB where Saul told Walt that he once hooked up with a woman by confidently claiming that he was Kevin Costner.

And the ONLY tequila anybody drinks is Zafiro Anejo.  Perfect for celebrations, cons, and poisoning drug lords.

Also, LOOOOOL at this:

a fictitious brand of tequila created by the writers of Breaking Bad. It was created after attempts to find a product placement fell through after being told that the scene contained people dropping dead minutes after drinking their placed product.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

I don't think we're going to see Jimmy turn into full on sleazy Saul. In fact, looking back, I don't think Saul was as sleazy as we all thought. I think it's more likely he's just very intelligent and projects himself and his history in a certain way to make it easier for clients to do business with him. And to protect himself. And behind all of that is a lot of pain from everything he went through with Lalo, Kim, his brother, and others. 

All I know is this. I don't about any of this "we" stuff, but I'M going to riot if Kim or Nacho dies. Especially Kim. She may be my favorite character out of anybody from BB and BCS.

• Like 1

It'll be a fun twist to find out Jimmy and Kim got married, stayed together, and he kayfabed his personal life to all his clients.  She went and did her own thing while Jimmy portrayed strip mall lawyer Saul Goodman.  The final shot of the series is Kim dropping him off at work and we see Jesse and Walt in the background, arguing in Jesse's car about the need for a criminal lawyer.

38 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It'll be a fun twist to find out Jimmy and Kim got married, stayed together, and he kayfabed his personal life to all his clients.  She went and did her own thing while Jimmy portrayed strip mall lawyer Saul Goodman.  The final shot of the series is Kim dropping him off at work and we see Jesse and Walt in the background, arguing in Jesse's car about the need for a criminal lawyer.

I had given that sort of ending some thought multiple times. Most of the times I've thought that through, it's almost even more heartbreaking that Jimmy winds up having to leave Kim to go on the run.

I still wouldn't be at all shocked that at the end of the series, yeah, you find out that Kim and Jimmy are still together.

I think that's too clean for this series.

Kim was never with the vacuum repair guy when Saul was waiting to get placed. Kim's never been in any of the Gene scenes. If they end up together it's because Gene reaches out after the fact and she moves there. But even that wouldn't feel earned. I could see the ending being something like he finally gets sick of being alone and goes back to Albuquerque because he misses her. But dies or gets caught shortly after returning and reuniting.

• Like 1

I just finished a rewatch of the whole series. So pumped for this to return tomorrow.

With hindsight and being able to binge through it all at once my preconceived notions of Kim have drastically changed. I had felt she was this morally good person who just loved Jimmy so much she only saw the good in him. I was way off. Kim is the Walt of this show. She does her public defender stuff as a cover for her psyche, not to help out the little guy. She deep down is resentful of all of these rich men that don't have to work nearly as hard as she does pretending they are hard workers. (Howard, Chuck, Rich). She is so connected to Jimmy because he is the lazy guy that cuts corners and doesn't apologize for it. He isn't fronting like all the high level execs Kim has worked for. Kim is smarter than all of them. Works harder than all of them. And still hasn't accomplished 1/10 of what they have. And it eats her up. Just like Walt did his thing because he liked it and he was good at it, not for his family. The way things are left at the end of Season 5, with her wanting pull a scheme on Howard that is unforgivable... she is about to break bad.

And I'm pretty sure it's going to backfire and lead to her death. It's also apparent from a binge that Jimmy's first real step to becoming Saul happened when Chuck died. He couldn't (or didn't let himself) process his death. Instead he dove into a character. And if / when Kim dies, that's going to be the final step in his psyche breaking and becoming full on sleazy Saul. Because he won't be able to cope with her death, he dives deeper into this character. To me that solves why she is never brought up in t Breaking Bad timeline. It's just like Jimmy getting mad people cared about his thoughts on Chuck when getting reinstated. His perspective is these people are dead and I'm moving on and have no reason to dwell on them. So he never talks about her at all just like he doesn't ever bring up Chuck.

On 4/5/2022 at 10:04 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Something I noticed in the series (well, Breaking Bad) recently is the scene where him, Walt and Jesse meet at the lazer tag place and he talks about his second marriage. WTF? 

Kim is Jimmy's third wife. When they get married at the courthouse he provides paperwork for his first two divorces. So first wife & second wife were real and not just him bullshitting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2