DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

Under lockdown I’ve started rewatching Breaking Bad, I think I had forgotten how late into Season 2 Saul appears. 

Looking forward to seeing how the Salamanca family story transitions out of BCS into BB timelines.

Also Noticed that after the Tuco / Hank shootout Walter & Jesse go for a hike through the desert, I almost expected them to run into Mike & Saul doing likewise!

• Like 2

Doing a BB rewatch as well and it really makes me appreciate how well executed Better Call Saul is. It just cooks along at a high level with very little fat on the meat. Maybe it's just that I am interested in the entire ensemble and every plot point on BCS or that Gilligan et al just have it down to a science now. Unlike BB when they cut to Marie and her shoplifting plot and I just want to lean on the FF. 

Edited by quackhell
  • Like 3

Yeah upon my rewatch recently I leaned on the FF for Marie too... but primarily just because she is the worst. 

As far as this episode goes 

Spoiler

I really did not expect it to turn into The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. There are a lot of logic holes you want to fill in (like, why would the Salamancas not give potential backup and scout the area the money was being picked up [though that may well be addressed next episode], why wouldn't Gus provide any kind of backup at all if he was the one sent who sent Mike out there, etc. But still it's a grueling episode, and I figure they expect viewers to slog along with them and not think twice. 

The best (worst, really) thing is that we are done with Jimmy now. Saul sacrificed himself to the oncoming gunman and survived. There is no more Jimmy, there is only Saul. 

Sorry Kim.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Doing a BB rewatch as well and it really makes me appreciate how well executed Better Call Saul is.

Said it before and I’ll say it again: BB might be the ‘better’ show but BCS is the one I enjoy the most 

• Like 2

I absolutely enjoy BCS a good bit more than I did BB, and I say that as someone who considers BB an all-time great tv show.  I think the big difference is that there are some characters you actually want to root for in BCS, even if you know their fates.

Only this show could turn something as simple as a cup getting shot into such a powerful visual.  It was a bullet through the chest of James McGill.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 1:51 AM, BurningBeard said:

Said it before and I’ll say it again: BB might be the ‘better’ show but BCS is the one I enjoy the most 

I think we're past the point of needing to temper our sentiment with quotation marks: There's plenty of legitimate reasons to push BCS as the better show. Vince and co. have improved on their craft over the years, and Breaking Bad isn't a sacred calf. 

Heck, "bad things happen in the desert" is a trope that's run through both shows and the best version of it may have premiered this week. Breaking Bad better be watching its rear-view mirror.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
Nothing bad about dessert, ya ding-dong
  • Like 2

I can't be the only one that thought Kim was about to eat a bullet. Fuck me I don't think I took in a breath during that entire scene.  Lalo is such a nice departure from the Tuco type villain. Like, if you aren't on his bad side, Lalo is probably fun af to be around, but man, it's so scary how quickly he turns it around into complete menace.

I probably need to rewatch the episode, but I got a little confused during the part when Mike was asking Gus to let Nacho go. Was Gus insinuating that Nacho was akin to a dog that constantly bites their owner and others? That makes absolutely zero sense if I heard that correctly and it's the one thing that really bugged me about this episode. Gus has always shown that he's logical, thorough, and in control. If anything, Nacho has always shown he's completely laid back, loyal enough to do this bullshit to ensure his dad isn't murdered, he never tries to flee, he never tries to double cross Gus, he's constantly double crossing crazy ass Lalo, and so where does Gus get off talking like Nacho needs to be beaten or put down? That shit makes no sense especially if you consider all of the second, third, fourth, and fifth chances he gave Walter and even Jesse.

It's just extremely out of character for Gus to read Nacho in that sort of way. It also makes Gus look very petty. He can't go for the throat on Lalo or Hector so he's taking his frustrations out on Nacho instead? 

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I probably need to rewatch the episode, but I got a little confused during the part when Mike was asking Gus to let Nacho go. Was Gus insinuating that Nacho was akin to a dog that constantly bites their owner and others? That makes absolutely zero sense if I heard that correctly and it's the one thing that really bugged me about this episode. Gus has always shown that he's logical, thorough, and in control. If anything, Nacho has always shown he's completely laid back, loyal enough to do this bullshit to ensure his dad isn't murdered, he never tries to flee, he never tries to double cross Gus, he's constantly double crossing crazy ass Lalo, and so where does Gus get off talking like Nacho needs to be beaten or put down? That shit makes no sense especially if you consider all of the second, third, fourth, and fifth chances he gave Walter and even Jesse.

It's just extremely out of character for Gus to read Nacho in that sort of way. It also makes Gus look very petty. He can't go for the throat on Lalo or Hector so he's taking his frustrations out on Nacho instead? 

I take it as Gus being agitated that people are trying to give him advice (Mike) or trying to take actions to help him out (Juan Bolsa, who had just got off the phone with) when he wants to handle the Lalo situation his way. If Lalo is back in Mexico, as indicated in this episode, he's likely going to use Nacho to continue to undermine Gus. I think Gus would probably be higher on Nacho if Nacho convinced Lalo to put his energy elsewhere instead of fucking with Gus. As is, no matter how cooperative Nacho is with Gus, Lalo is going to going to find a way to get at Gus.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Gus is looking at a guy who's tried to hire Mike to kill Tuco and has plotted to kill Hector. You can justify both actions, but that's literally biting multiple hands that feed. His line of thought has some merit.

Of course Gus will eventually come around to Mike's rationale when Jesse Pinkman is in the hot seat (although not until Walt has done everything in his power to force that outcome...), so he's still got a ways to go. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2