DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

The beer bottle chucking scene at the end was a combination of being a nice couple moment and yet another demonstration of Kim's frustration. Her attempts to do the right thing and failing are breaking her down. Having cantankerous Barry Corbin(who appears to be aging into his final form as a Sontaran) shut down her work to try and help him after pouring her heart out was rough.

• Like 2

As the series has gone on, Kim is the character I feel the biggest connection to, probably because she looks similar to my wife, but also because I think she's the best character in this BB/BCS universe. She's the last person I want anything bad to happen to. I want her to move on from Jimmy, re-start somewhere else, build herself back up as a high powered attorney, and find someone better for her than Jimmy even though I like her and Jimmy together.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It being a prequel, you've got to put a lot on the characters we're not going to see in Breaking Bad to add some drama and stakes. They've done well with Nacho as the beating heart of the other half of the show too. That scene with him and his father this week was something. 

All the scenes between Nacho and his dad break my heart. They've done such an awesome job showing how much his dad means to him, how he probably wishes he took a different path, he knows there's no way out for him, and he has to live with his dad potentially being a victim at some point.

On 3/4/2020 at 5:39 AM, RandomAct said:

Yes, HUGE pop on that one.

This episode really gave me the sense that part of Kim wishes that she could do things Jimmy's way.  There have been a few instances in the past where she gives in to his wild schemes, but here, she was so frustrated that her normally effective diplomat routine got stonewalled.  Her body language was screaming "what would Jimmy do here?"

I had, erm, a more reserved reaction to those characters showing up. Especially viewing the modification on the back of the car. 

Kim seems like she is trying to do things Jimmy's way and failing, and that's why she is so frustrated. It's like her devotion to the law shows through and kneecaps her whenever she tries to lie or blowhard her way to what she wants. Meanwhile, a five-time fuckup like Jimmy somehow has the Midas Tongue where these things are concerned. It isn't fair. If you don't feel for her then you don't have a heart. 

And Nacho, fuck. The man wears all the stress, anxiety, sadness on his face, even when he's trying desperately to be stoic. He's always looked that way. 

...and then we come to Mike. Whatever he did in his past, after watching that, I want it to remain a mystery, and am happy knowing that he manages to patch things up enough to be with his granddaughter in the future. 

19 hours ago, quackhell said:

The beer bottle chucking scene at the end was a combination of being a nice couple moment and yet another demonstration of Kim's frustration. Her attempts to do the right thing and failing are breaking her down. Having cantankerous Barry Corbin(who appears to be aging into his final form as a Sontaran) shut down her work to try and help him after pouring her heart out was rough.

Aw man, Kim.  I felt so bad for her.  That guy had her pegged 100% incorrectly as a scumbag, lying lawyer.  She even went BACK to his place to actually try really hard to help, ended up baring her soul, and he still thought it was a sleazy plot on her part.  When someone (or everyone) only sees you one way and refuses to entertain the possibility of something different, at what point do you just stop trying?  We're about to find out and it's heartbreaking.

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

As the series has gone on, Kim is the character I feel the biggest connection to, probably because she looks similar to my wife,

Humblebrag!!!  ?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Kim seems like she is trying to do things Jimmy's way and failing, and that's why she is so frustrated. It's like her devotion to the law shows through and kneecaps her whenever she tries to lie or blowhard her way to what she wants. Meanwhile, a five-time fuckup like Jimmy somehow has the Midas Tongue where these things are concerned. It isn't fair. If you don't feel for her then you don't have a heart. 

I don't see Kim trying to do things the Jimmy way. I see her trying to do the completely opposite and stick up for the little guy the right way. Heck, she gave Jimmy an ass-chew for talking her into running a game on one of her clients to get them to accept a deal.

Of course the world is going to shit all over her for trying. Meanwhile, Jimmy's getting a nice wad of cash for delivering a message and we all know how he's going to respond to the prospect of easy money. The show keeps tugging at every little thread in that doomed relationship. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don't see Kim trying to do things the Jimmy way. I see her trying to do the completely opposite and stick up for the little guy the right way. Heck, she gave Jimmy an ass-chew for talking her into running a game on one of her clients to get them to accept a deal.

Of course the world is going to shit all over her for trying. Meanwhile, Jimmy's getting a nice wad of cash for delivering a message and we all know how he's going to respond to the prospect of easy money. The show keeps tugging at every little thread in that doomed relationship. 

EXACTLY.  That's the point I was trying to make as well.  Shit, she even knows everything about her pro bono clients -- see the scene in the car where she and her associate go over contact numbers -- that's how much she cares.  She was going to ditch Mesa Verde to work all day for free, too.  And look where it gets her. Insulted by a squatter.  Meanwhile Jimmy gets $8000 in cash from scumbags for a bit of theater.

I loved the last scene, as loving support and solidarity takes the form of....throwing bottles.  ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You think the squatter was bad? Wait until someone sits her down and firmly tells her that she needs to get her professional priorities straight. Regional banks don't become slightly larger regional banks all on their own, missy! 

Good point.  I worked for a law firm years ago and they had a pro bono requirement (community service, makes the firm look good) but I cant imagine Kim's volume of pro bono work is in line with what's expected of her.

Edited by Technico Support

By "Jimmy's way" I meant using forcefulness, aggression, not necessarily getting as low as him. The part where she snapped and listed all the reasons that guy was gonna get kicked off his property just seemed like a very Jimmy thing to me, since she rarely seems to blow her cool. It's not like her to be mean. Y'all are right though, even when she's being mean she's still being honest. 

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

By "Jimmy's way" I meant using forcefulness, aggression, not necessarily getting as low as him. The part where she snapped and listed all the reasons that guy was gonna get kicked off his property just seemed like a very Jimmy thing to me, since she rarely seems to blow her cool. It's not like her to be mean. Y'all are right though, even when she's being mean she's still being honest. 

To be fair to Kim, how much shit was she realistically going to eat about being a soulless rich woman? She tried to treat him with kid gloves and he didn't want any bit of it, so in a moment of weakness she went off with both barrels. And even then, with that coming out of her mouth, she still knows the difference between legally honest and morally right and felt strongly enough to come back later.

And with Jimmy being less and less interested in that distinction, she might as well have been directing this one at him:

• Like 2

I think we are all bracing for the final Jimmy and Kim moment on the show. Man you just know it is going to be so heartbreaking and more gutwrenching than the more violent final moments in the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul-verse.

Last night had a lot of good moments, but the one that got me was the subversion of the usual meticulous  work montage of Mike building a makeshift charger only to have the lady of the house just get him one and leave him nonplussed.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, quackhell said:

Last night had a lot of good moments, but the one that got me was the subversion of the usual meticulous  work montage of Mike building a makeshift charger only to have the lady of the house just get him one and leave him nonplussed.  

I did appreciate Mike's craftsmanship by cutting out a new window sill out of what looked like a really nice piece of hardwood. Made me wish Mike had just stayed at that home as a sort of retreat and just keep fixing it up. Makes me realize Mike just needs things to fix and struggles to the point of death with things he can't fix, like his son, Jesse, and Walter.

• Like 2

I liked that one little moment where Mike very clearly loved the quiet, simple nature of where he was at. The phone charger scene was a legit LOL moment.

"This is Mr. X"

"It's my work name."

That was maybe the funniest bit of dialogue I have heard in ages.

• Like 2