DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

There must be something in the Salamanca blood that makes them all psychopaths, I've got a feeling Laylo is gonna be the worst.

I wonder if Kim is the genius behind the Saul Goodman 'character' in the end, pulling the strings maybe... everyone's expecting a downfall or ruin to the point it seems they're not going to go that way at all

It just dawned on me that the German construction head looks remarkably like Donald Pleasance. 

Boy, that was one hell of a blowup at the end there between Jimmy and Kim. As far as what happened at the very end...

Spoiler

...it is now clear that those guys should have been given ankle bracelets all along. 

And Lalo is one creepy Salamanca

So my thought about German Robin Williams was

Spoiler

He figured Mike and Gus were going to have him killed after the snafu at the bar and thought the detonator malfunction was a ruse to get him into the tunnel and blown up to get rid of him. After he survived he still thought he was dead once the project was finished and wanted to get out of there.  Theory 2 is that his wife is terminally ill and he realized he wouldn't be finished with the lab before she died.

:(

Jimmy doesn't deserve Kim. She's basically perfect and he's just fucking it up. Kim is like the manic pixie dream girl that grew up, or rather, she would be like Natalie Portman's character from Garden State that moved on and matured, but still liked to have fun. 

Jimmy blew that and Kim STILL wants to help him should qualify her for sainthood. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ah, just thought of a problem with Chessgame's second theory: the guys listening to the phone would have known if they talked about it.

That's not something necessarily you would need to talk about on the phone. However, that is also something Mike would know before he got brought on.  You would be cautious about bringing on a guy who is dealing with a potential life tragedy and a time sensitive one at that. Unless I missed something, none of these guys left Germany with a pregnant girlfriend or wife at home. They're just homesick. The former is the more than likely but with a hint of paranoia. He couldn't outright ask Mike if his life was on the line. However, the more unforeseen obstacles they run into means the more he feels that he is pissing off Fring on top of the aforementioned bar visit. I think he's overwhelmed by the size of the project and knows it's not really a three strike system. One more fuckup and he's a dead man.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

So, the German is the "no more half measures" person Mike was referring to when contemplating whether or not to partner with Jesse, right?

Unless I'm forgetting something, that speech was pretty explicitly about a wife beater from his time as a police officer. Was there another talk about half measures? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Unless I'm forgetting something, that speech was pretty explicitly about a wife beater from his time as a police officer. Was there another talk about half measures? 

Oh ok. I couldn't remember the full details, but the German seems to have fit the mold of a guy that Mike kept letting off the hook or giving too much leeway to where it came back to bite him.

Woooooooow. My memory is so shit that I totally forgot about the thing with Tuco and Mike. I had to check to see if that happened in Breaking Bad because I couldn't remember it from Better Call Saul. Feels like this happened forever ago.

It was early on the second season when Nacho wanted Mike to kill Tuco and Mike agrees to do it for $50k... then decides it would be better to just get him sent to prison instead as a dead Tuco will attract a load more Salamancas

I need to watch Breaking Bad again and I will definitely be revisiting it soon.  I think Mike went into partnership with Walt because he loved Jesse like a son and because he needed money for his granddaughter. I don't think he ever fully trusted Walt.  He was just out of options. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I haven't watched BB since it originally aired, but didn't he get in with Walter and Jesse on Gus's orders?

Initially it was the connection to Gus but I am assuming he meant why would Mike be involved with them in the later seasons.  Mike was out of options and Walt/Jesse was the only game in town where Mike could still make big money quickly.