DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

It was an amazing episode.  Now I'm a little worried, because the best episode of this show so far was the one that barely featured the main character. 

Maybe they could take the focus off Saul a little more and make it an ensemble.  Though I'm not quite ready for Kuby & Huell's tragic backstories.

It was an amazing episode.  Now I'm a little worried, because the best episode of this show so far was the one that barely featured the main character. 

Maybe they could take the focus off Saul a little more and make it an ensemble.  Though I'm not quite ready for Kuby & Huell's tragic backstories.

I'm OK with almost every episode being about Saul with a few Mike episodes thrown in.  Now that they have shown a willingness to put Saul in the background from time to time, my hopes of seeing Gus Fring are climbing.  We could potentially get entire episodes of Mike doing work for Gus. 

So...

...can we just give Jonathan Banks his fucking Emmy now?

My thoughts exactly.

Funny.  I just finished the episode and was coming here to post something like this.  Along the lines of "Peter Dinklage can go fuck himself because Jonathan Banks just ended the voting for the year."

That story is so much better than anything I might have thought of for Mike.  The idea that he is essentially dead the first time we meet him.  That he wasn't always like that and that he wasn't a cool assassin from the start and that he wasn't even a good guy.  

It makes his relationship with Jessie so much more meaningful too given how much Jessie anguished over the idea of corrupting himself and how Mike was essentially put in charge of doing just that.  How much he must have hated Walt in a way for playing the father-figure to the kid while stringing him toward the dark side.  Mike must have seen a lot of his old self in Walt.

Goddamn.  This is how you do a prequel...in a way that doesn't just "link up" but adds more nuance and depth to everything we've already seen.

• Like 7

That was just about as good as the last one. Mike working his magic with that great song playing over it was spectacular. Jimmy takes a baby step towards Saul-dom and his reaction at the end was perfect. Having been in a scenario with having a nice piece of property yanked out from under me recently, it hit home. 

• Like 1

I keep coming back to what finally pushes Jimmy over the edge into being "Saul".  It has to be Kim, right?  He seems like a really good dude at heart, wants to make the right decisions, but nothing ever swings in his favor.  Kim is the only consistent positive thing he has in his life. It's almost like he ignores any bad instinct he has for her.  I feel like SOMETHING happens with her later on that becomes his catalyst.

I think she'll probably be instrumental in screwing Jimmie and his brother out of the case settlement money since his brother is still legally still part of the firm.

She said she hoped to make partner in 2 years (before The Kettleman's got her demoted). I could see her selling Jimmy and Chuck out to make partner. What ever it is, right now it has to be something huge for Jimmy to say the hell with his moral compass that he still has even at this point.

• Like 1

I think she'll probably be instrumental in screwing Jimmie and his brother out of the case settlement money since his brother is still legally still part of the firm.

That seems very possible.  It's one of those things where the viewer will be able to look at either side of the case, and have a pretty muddle moral middle ground.

Was the University of American Samoa mentioned at all during Breaking Bad? The reason why I ask is because there is a Facebook page for the fake University going back to October of 2012.

Goooo Land Crabs!! AMC is missing out by not selling University of American Samoa swag.

Yeah, he's got a diploma from there on the wall of his office in Breaking Bad. Interestingly enough, it's not a law degree and it has the Saul Goodman name and not James McGill.

tumblr_m7ln5mNvVX1qc4ig6o1_1280.png

I keep coming back to what finally pushes Jimmy over the edge into being "Saul".  It has to be Kim, right?  He seems like a really good dude at heart, wants to make the right decisions, but nothing ever swings in his favor.  Kim is the only consistent positive thing he has in his life. It's almost like he ignores any bad instinct he has for her.  I feel like SOMETHING happens with her later on that becomes his catalyst.

Saul/Jimmy is still a good guy regardless. He deals in shady things, but he never came across as a bad guy.

BTW, the old lady offering Saul some Hydrox killed me. That's the most old lady cookie ever. Even my grandma always had them and she was diabetic.

Old women are fucking down with Hydrox.

• Like 4

I actually loved the stuff with Chuck this week.  Really cool stuff with them showing just how much all of his "ailment" is in his head.  I'm willing to bet that the big spot they cut away from was that he realized he's ok.  I love how the show is going out of it's way to paint Jimmy in a really positive light.  As Craig mentioned, he was never a bad guy, just a bit shady, but this series has really shown you his internal struggle.  He always ends up doing the right thing, and it ALWAYS comes back to bite him in the ass.

He always ends up doing the right thing, and it ALWAYS comes back to bite him in the ass.

There's a fine line though.  You keep doing that and you lose the drama.  Then you just sit there wondering when it blows up in his face.

I loved how they basically gave away that Chuck would ruin everything in the final scene, and then he didn't (at least not yet.)  Although the amount he asked for is probably leading to trouble.  But YOU KNEW he would be an idiot.  And then he wasn't.

My theory is that Jimmy is about to win his case (a big one) but before the sure thing, his criminal record is brought up, it kills everything, and he loses.  And he goes off the deep end into what he becomes.

He always ends up doing the right thing, and it ALWAYS comes back to bite him in the ass.

There's a fine line though.  You keep doing that and you lose the drama.  Then you just sit there wondering when it blows up in his face.

I loved how they basically gave away that Chuck would ruin everything in the final scene, and then he didn't (at least not yet.)  Although the amount he asked for is probably leading to trouble.  But YOU KNEW he would be an idiot.  And then he wasn't.

My theory is that Jimmy is about to win his case (a big one) but before the sure thing, his criminal record is brought up, it kills everything, and he loses.  And he goes off the deep end into what he becomes.

I was thinking more along the lines of what Kim brought up, with Chuck working on a case outside of his firm.  The 20 million dollar figure is obviously not small claims, and it could damage that case.

You're right on point about the last scene with Chuck though.  Him being "ok" basically takes away the only chip Jimmy has against HHM.

The stuff with Hamlin is awesome because he really is a decent guy that Jimmy just abjectly hates. Even when he tried to be a prick to Kim to cover for Chuck he couldn't do it.

McKean has been king-sized. That finale looks DARK.

Best episode of the series and the closest this show has come to Breaking Bad.  I'm watched the season and have enjoyed it but haven't quite loved it, but this was damn-near perfect. 

I don't watch the previews so I don't know if it's brought up, but the old iron's still on in the house, right?