DVDVR Message Board

Better Call Saul

Niners Fan in CT

On 4/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, Craig H said:

I am starting to wonder if we never get any closure with Gene. Maybe the closure is that we just have to assume he is in the clear, but he's just living in fear and terror every day that he'll get caught while churning out confections at Cinnabon and that's juxtaposed against just how good of a life he had by seeing what his life was like before he was full Saul Goodman with a gold toilet and all of that crap.

I can't for the life of me recall where I read this recently, and it might be bullshit, but apparently the first half of this split season takes place in the BCS timeline, and the second half takes place in the Gene timeline. Again, very well could be BS.

3 hours ago, Swift said:

I can't for the life of me recall where I read this recently, and it might be bullshit, but apparently the first half of this split season takes place in the BCS timeline, and the second half takes place in the Gene timeline. Again, very well could be BS.

Honestly that wouldn't be a shock, since they have confirmed that Walt and Jesse will appear at some point. That only works if it is the BB timeline or later.

The flash forward in the first episode gave me big vibes reminding me of the plane crash season of BB.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Hoping there's not too much Walt and Jesse honestly. I know it's the kind of fan service that can get buzz, but give me the about same amount of Hank we got last season and get me back to the Saul show I've been enjoying oh so much. 

I think we don't see them until close to the end, just to show the merging of the two timelines.

I gotta be super careful coming in here.  Since I’m way behind.

Spoiler

But I JUST finished the episode where Lalo showed up at the Goodmans place.  A squirt of piss every time they cut to the sniper scope POV.  Not to mention how I went to a really dark place even after Lalo left and beloved Kim is STILL STANDING IN CLEAR SIGHT OF THE WINDOW!  I honestly felt the swerve of Kim’s head just exploding in front of a traumatized Jimmy.  Mike did seem irritated over her having any awareness of “the game”.  Several breathless moments and a few skipped heartbeats later.  Thankfully, the credits rolled.  Wow.

Edited by Brandon Bones
I fought like hell to fix this goddamn post.
  • Like 2

Caught up last night.  I even sprang for AMC+ to make it happen as I was on such a roll ride of momentum.  

Just fucking wow, dude.

The slow burn and build of this show is allowing it to spend the currency of two really well crafted shows.  Now they can just go wild.  The cast certainly is.

I know some peeps are talking about spending more time in Nebraska with Gene.  But does anyone think it’s possible that we actually dive into some time parallel to early seasons of BB?  

If the show projects nothing else.  It’s a clear desire to bridge the gap between the two shows.  What better way than to insert Kim into the perimeter of storyline already established?  

• Like 1

I didn't recognize that either.

Man, I loved this episode. There's something about episodes that show you glimpses of the characters lives that I'll always like. I thought the cold open was modern day stuff until the very end and then I was like, holy shit, that whole time Walt was at Gus' house some dude could have just come out of that tunnel to take him out.

Loved seeing Mike interact with Kim and it was unbelievable that it was the first time it really happened. I'm hoping those two can have another conversation before this all ends, but I really liked Mike's line about thinking Kim was made of sterner stuff. He's totally right because Kim is the shit.

Fun watching Jimmy up to doing silly, Jimmy shit again, but also kinda sad now knowing that Hamlin is in therapy. 

And really, who parks where there's a cone?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Loved seeing Mike interact with Kim and it was unbelievable that it was the first time it really happened. I'm hoping those two can have another conversation before this all ends, but I really liked Mike's line about thinking Kim was made of sterner stuff. He's totally right because Kim is the shit.

Mike was watching/listening when she backed down Lalo to save an ineffectual Jimmy. So he'd know. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Mike was watching/listening when she backed down Lalo to save an ineffectual Jimmy. So he'd know. 

That's what I was figuring. Mike just sitting there, thinking, "damn, the guts on this person."

Mike says that, Kim responds by not saying a damn thing about meeting him to Jimmy. She is made of sterner stuff. 

I do not remember who Spooge is at all and I watched maybe 1/3 of the series in the replays. Help me out. 

Oh, and nobody's mentioned the return of "It's Wendy!"

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Mike says that, Kim responds by not saying a damn thing about meeting him to Jimmy. She is made of sterner stuff. 

I do not remember who Spooge is at all and I watched maybe 1/3 of the series in the replays. Help me out. 

Dude who got an ATM dropped on his head in the second season of Breaking Bad.

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Spooge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh, and nobody's mentioned the return of "It's Wendy!"

Ev-ree-one knows its Wen-deeeee!

Brilliant touch having both her and Spooge look better than they did in BB. Less than two years away, I'd say. That's the ravages of meth use for ya.

• Like 1

I think we've touched on this before, but I've never felt like Hamlin is an altogether bad person. I kinda feel bad for him knowing that his marriage is falling apart and he's in therapy, yet Jimmy can't stop fucking with him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

I think we've touched on this before, but I've never felt like Hamlin is an altogether bad person. I kinda feel bad for him knowing that his marriage is falling apart and he's in therapy, yet Jimmy can't stop fucking with him.

Agreed. Chuck was the one doing all the shitty things to Jimmy. The title of the episode was Hit & Run, so I breathed a sigh of relief that all they did with Howard's car was a hooker deal. I thought for sure they were going to hit someone with his car on purpose, or have it happen as an accident they had to roll with.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:32 AM, RandomAct said:

He's not, nor was he ever, a bad person. He is the manifestation of others internal frustrations. Won't be surprised if this storyline ends with him committing suicide.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 2:23 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

Oh shit, I didn't realize that was him. Great low-key callback. 

On 5/3/2022 at 1:26 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Dude who got an ATM dropped on his head in the second season of Breaking Bad.

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Spooge

Damn!  I didn't recognize him, either.  That's some awesome attention to detail.

Citing rumors that Heisenberg's associate crushed a man's head with an ATM, Walt asks if Badger should fear reprisals if he snitches. "The guy who got his head smooshed used to be a client of mine. His wife killed him," Saul replies.

Also, never, ever forget that cucumber water is for paying customers only.

So that episode in particular with Jesse, Spooge, his wife, and their son is the episode that basically made me stop watching Breaking Bad 2 or 3 times. I just couldn't get past that episode. It was some of the most heartbreaking shit to see with that little kid in that meth house and it was too heavy to go on after. I obviously eventually got past it and watched the series twice over, but it was that episode in particular that was some of the heaviest shit to see. No pun intended.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

So that episode in particular with Jesse, Spooge, his wife, and their son is the episode that basically made me stop watching Breaking Bad 2 or 3 times. I just couldn't get past that episode. It was some of the most heartbreaking shit to see with that little kid in that meth house and it was too heavy to go on after. I obviously eventually got past it and watched the series twice over, but it was that episode in particular that was some of the heaviest shit to see. No pun intended.

Oh man.  I didn't have kids the first two times I saw that episode (I've watched all of BB twice).  I'm not sure I could handle it now.

Edited by Technico Support