DVDVR Message Board

This Offseason In NFL Stupidity

RIPPA

So multiple news organizations/blogs/websites have now stated that they were given stills from the video by people to try and drum up the bidding for it. Can someone who knows more about journalism explain why these stills weren't released and reported on?

The thing I've heard about why no one has reported it is that it is a clear extortion plot.  Apparently the people shopping the video are people who used to be friends of Dez, and they have been using this video to blackmail him for who knows how long.  From what I've read(and this is all speculative) is that the video is from 2011.  Who knows what the whole story is here, but I'm willing to bet that Dez is not going to be the only one who comes out of this looking like one of the worst people in the world.  Seriously, the fact that someone like Adam Schefter is reporting that he knows it exists and isn't willing to say anything about it probably means that the people selling it are not anyone you'd want to risk ruining his reputation over.  There is a stench growing over this that makes me really uncomfortable.

So multiple news organizations/blogs/websites have now stated that they were given stills from the video by people to try and drum up the bidding for it. Can someone who knows more about journalism explain why these stills weren't released and reported on?

Depends on the stills. Might be tough to say for sure that it's Dez in the stills?

Listening to CBS Sports Radio, and they're saying that someone called the police regarding a woman being dragged from car to car in a Walmart parking lot back in 2011.  The second car was registered to Bryant, but the man who argued with the woman was NOT Bryant.  It's not clear if Bryant had anything to do with the physical altercation. The woman was interviewed by the police and said she didn't need medical attention, so the case was closed.

Also not clear who has the video now or how they got hold of it, but it seems they're using it to blackmail Bryant.

The details are sketchy as hell.  But a few things that are clear--the police dropped the ball when they didn't investigate the report further, the Cowboys would have been called about one of their players being involved in a parking lot fight so they knew long before now, and Goodell is as always stupid as fuck.

Listening to CBS Sports Radio, and they're saying that someone called the police regarding a woman being dragged from car to car in a Walmart parking lot back in 2011.  The second car was registered to Bryant, but the man who argued with the woman was NOT Bryant.  It's not clear if Bryant had anything to do with the physical altercation. The woman was interviewed by the police and said she didn't need medical attention, so the case was closed.

Also not clear who has the video now or how they got hold of it, but it seems they're using it to blackmail Bryant.

The details are sketchy as hell.  But a few things that are clear--the police dropped the ball when they didn't investigate the report further, the Cowboys would have been called about one of their players being involved in a parking lot fight so they knew long before now, and Goodell is as always stupid as fuck.

Violence against women is deplorable and should never, ever be tolerated, but take a step back here.   By your own admission, details are sketchy, so how about "innocent until proven guilty"?  

• Like 1

So how is it clear that the police dropped the ball or that the cowboys would have been called?

There's no indication that they watched the tape--if that's true, that's stupid.  And once it was established that Bryant owned at least one of the cars involved, someone from the police would have called the Cowboys, just as a heads-up.

And I'm not convincting Bryant, folks.  Slow your roll. Right now, I'm leaning toward him being caught in his family's mess more than anything.

It seems like a bunch of BS to tease something like that.  People don't keep secrets well for that long.  As a Cowboys fan though, I do worry about them giving a big contract to Dez.  I've said for a while that they need to let Murray walk and pay Dez because Dez is a special talent at WR. 

The Eagles message board is very biased against the Cowboys as you would expect. DeSean was having his career year in 2013. That December someone ran a poll who would you rather have DeSean or Dez? Dez won the poll. Special talent indeed.

2011 was the NFL Lockout, I'm wondering if the Cowboys even took the call once the police said it was about one of their players

That's possible, with the incident happening in July 2011 and the NFL still on lockout.  But the devil's advocate in me says someone in the Cowboys' office took the call 'off the record' just in case.  When nothing came of it, they ignored it until now.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Just had a thought what if its Dez and dog fighting?

I consider myself a dog lover, but dog fighting is not worse, let alone 5 times worse, than knocking out your wife. 

Just had a thought what if its Dez and dog fighting?

I consider myself a dog lover, but dog fighting is not worse, let alone 5 times worse, than knocking out your wife. 

I don't agree with you on a lot of things Mag, but on this...  Amen.

So, am I the only one who is starting to believe that this video doesn't exist?  All we really know is that the people who are trying to sell it, also the only people who have seen it, say that it is five times worse than the Ray Rice tape.  That is all the legit information that we have.  Not really something that gives me much confidence that this video contains anything meaningful.

Yeah, I don't agree with that either. Regardless of how you want to balance human vs dog, there's a single (extremely stupid) act of violence against a person versus an ongoing saga of torturing and murdering animals for entertainment purposes.

If you think that's the only time Rice put his hands on his wife...

Torturing and killing animals is worse.  I can't believe it's even a second thought among people.  Like a person that tortures and kills dogs over a long period of time would even think twice about smacking the shit out of their girlfriend.  That's like the least of the fucked up things a person that does something like that is capable of. 

What. In. The. Entire. FUCK.

We're actually debating what form of abuse is worse?  What, are we rating that sort of thing now?

Oh, just FUCK that mentality. My migraine just got worse reading some of this mess.

I read the last few posts and thought, "I'm not getting involved in that nonsense."

What. In. The. Entire. FUCK.

We're actually debating what form of abuse is worse?  What, are we rating that sort of thing now?

Oh, just FUCK that mentality. My migraine just got worse reading some of this mess.

The natural extention of this weird compulsion to rate and rank everything sports-related, because it's the easiest and most effective clickbait article to write.  I'm seriously surprised this hasn't been an espn.com article "top 10 NFL worst citizens/worst off-field controversies OF ALL TIME.  Have thoughts on our list?  Reply in the comments section [and argue in endless circles over a question that can never be answered]."  Hell, they probably have and I just don't know about it because I never go to espn.com.

Also the "who has it worse" pissing contest has been en vogue on the internet for years.  Mash them together and this seems inevitable.