DVDVR Message Board

This Offseason In NFL Stupidity

RIPPA

The "it's about lying to Goodell" argument is great because so many NFL players have told the truth during investigations on every subject in the past.

It's better than that. He wouldn't give the NFL his phone/his text messages. Because they have a right to that?

Maybe his phone has naked pictures of giselle on it.

I don't there is any "maybe" about it. . . 

• Like 1

Gawd Id love if thats his reasoning when it goes to appeal.

Judge: Why wouldn't you give over your phone?

GB: There's personal information that I couldn't trust anyone to see

Judge: Like what?

GB (Whispering): Naked pictures of my wife

Judge: Im sorry?

GB: Pictures of my wife.

Judge: Let me see your phone (sound of a zipper)

• Like 2

So Brady is suspended for 4 meaningless games, lose two picks they probably wouldn't even use and fined chump change?

Yea, that's totally worth a Super Bowl ring.

Except that of course the fact that it had nothing to do with the Super Bowl.

I can't hear you over this asterisk I'm putting here.  It's Super Bowl* now.  Put that * there or else, Charlie. :angry:

The Commissioner has spoken!

Even if there is nothing on his phone but phone numbers, he shouldn't have given Roger Goodell his phone.  In what world does Goodell have the authority to go through someone else's phone?  That dude has some fucking nerve.

Sports fans are dumb..  Heard some pro-Patriot Jonestown kool-aid drinker call into Mike & Mike this morning during my two hour commute and he complained about Brady getting a 4 game nap for cheating while Ray Rice only got a two game suspension for domestic violence.

I guess he forgot about all of that Goodell backtracking, hemming / hawing, reversing of course. and the two game suspension becoming fucking indefinite.

I've refused to hand over my camera going through customs due to reasons of not wanting the dude looking at pictures of my naked gf. So I fully support Tom Brady even though his punishment is far harsher than my punishment of "go wait in another line for 30 mins" was.

Honestly, I don't think you should give your job anything that it would be illegal for the cops to ask for in the same situation.  You shouldn't give your phone to someone to someone who is going to use it to try to incriminate you.  The arrogance that the NFL operates with is amazing to me.  They actually expected Tom Brady to give them his phone and let them look through it in order to punish him for what they find.  That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.  How long were they going to keep his phone?  What are they allowed to look at?  Who is the person who is actually going to do the looking?  How much recourse will he have if something private on his phone gets leaked publicly?  What the fuck is in it for him if he gives them his phone?  Rodger Goodell doesn't have any real authority.  He can ask for your cooperation, but the only thing he can do is get mad if you refuse. 

Dude, it's a job.  Jobs require certain things.  Sometimes they require you to have a physical or go to a chiropractor prior to working there.  That's perfectly fine and doesn't mean a cop can require you to have a physical or give you a chiropractic exam when they pull you over.  Those two dots don't connect.  They have nothing to do with each other. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think you should give your job anything that it would be illegal for the cops to ask for in the same situation.

What glfpunk said.  That is an Apples to Oranges analogy.   You need to watch what you are signing away when you agree to take a position with a potential employer.  You can wrap yourself in the Constitution all you want but things like business dress codes and the like are still enforceable via whatever means an employee agrees to when signing on with an employer.

Collective Bargaining Agreements can either be your best friend or worst enemy.  The First Amendment of the Constitution protects your right to Freedom of Expression, but if you wear your Fuck the Police t-shirt to work, your ass is going to get fired and there won't be much you can do about it.

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't think you should give your job anything that it would be illegal for the cops to ask for in the same situation.

What glfpunk said.  That is an Apples to Oranges analogy.   You need to watch what you are signing away when you agree to take a position with a potential employer.  You can wrap yourself in the Constitution all you want but things like business dress codes and the like are still enforceable via whatever means an employee agrees to when signing on with an employer.

Collective Bargaining Agreements can either be your best friend or worst enemy.  The First Amendment of the Constitution protects your right to Freedom of Expression, but if you wear your Fuck the Police t-shirt to work, your ass is going to get fired and there won't be much you can do about it.

That is completely different than what I'm talking about.  I'm not saying you don't have to follow the rules of your job, I'm saying that you shouldn't do anything to help them investigate you that you wouldn't do for the police.  You shouldn't do something that is not in your own best interest to help them gather evidence to potentially punish you.  There is a reason those amendments are in the constitution, and despite the fact that they don't apply don't mean you shouldn't use that knowledge to your advantage.  Tom Brady's phone is his personal property and Rodger Goodell doesn't have the authority to take it from him without his consent.  He can be mad about it, but Tom Brady is well within his rights to refuse to give it to him.  If you want to go around incriminating yourself in the name of your job, go ahead, but I'm not going to be out here giving people evidence that they have no rights to.

So the Patriots are going to have to sign a veteran QB to start the first four games of the season, since their current 2 backup QB's neither are ready to start the first 25% of your season for the team.  You need someone who's at least adequate in a starting role.

So the Patriots are going to have to sign a veteran QB to start the first four games of the season, since their current 2 backup QB's neither are ready to start the first 25% of your season for the team.  You need someone who's at least adequate in a starting role.

The Patriots lost Brady for the season in 2008, and proceeded to go 11-5 with MATT CASSEL as their starting quarterback. 

They will be just fine with their backup.

That team had prime Wes Welker and Randy Moss, Destroyer of Worlds.

This one has Gronk and nobody else on that level.

But I expect they give Garropolo first shot at the job at the very least.  Hell, if he plays well, you either might find your long-term replacement for Brady, or be able to trade him down the river for a first to make up that one they lost.

One of their games without him is Jacksonville so that's one guaranteed win and they will probably beat the Bills too just because making Bills fans angry is a full time Patriots job.

Then after week 4 they have a bye so it will basically be business as normal.

Also, laughing my  ass off at people so deep in the Patriots hate bubble they think this was a light suspension/punishment relative to other similar sporting offenses. Do you people even watch sports? I would love to see someone crunch the history of baseball if ball tampering had resulted in forfeiture of draft picks. This whole thing is hilariously over the top but I would expect nothing less from the NFL, which has been the best soap opera on TV forever now.

Eh, the Jags had one of the better pass-rushing defensive lines in the league last year and have gotten better there even with Fowler out for the season. Add to that Colvin and McCray emerging as good corners and that game isn't so cut and dry (especially with Jimmy G coming off of getting battered by the Bills the previous week).

Sports fans are dumb..  Heard some pro-Patriot Jonestown kool-aid drinker call into Mike & Mike this morning during my two hour commute and he complained about Brady getting a 4 game nap for cheating while Ray Rice only got a two game suspension for domestic violence.

I guess he forgot about all of that Goodell backtracking, hemming / hawing, reversing of course. and the two game suspension becoming fucking indefinite.

Well, in their defense, the Rice suspension only became indefinite after the video came out and the league was basically shamed into doing more. If it hadn't, Rice would have been back on the field taking handoffs from Joe Flacco in Week 3.

But I suspect there's almost no chance that Brady sees all four games of this suspension anyway.

• Like 1

What glfpunk said. That is an Apples to Oranges analogy. You need to watch what you are signing away when you agree to take a position with a potential employer. You can wrap yourself in the Constitution all you want but things like business dress codes and the like are still enforceable via whatever means an employee agrees to when signing on with an employer.

Collective Bargaining Agreements can either be your best friend or worst enemy. The First Amendment of the Constitution protects your right to Freedom of Expression, but if you wear your Fuck the Police t-shirt to work, your ass is going to get fired and there won't be much you can do about it.

That is completely different than what I'm talking about. I'm not saying you don't have to follow the rules of your job, I'm saying that you shouldn't do anything to help them investigate you that you wouldn't do for the police. You shouldn't do something that is not in your own best interest to help them gather evidence to potentially punish you. There is a reason those amendments are in the constitution, and despite the fact that they don't apply don't mean you shouldn't use that knowledge to your advantage. Tom Brady's phone is his personal property and Rodger Goodell doesn't have the authority to take it from him without his consent. He can be mad about it, but Tom Brady is well within his rights to refuse to give it to him. If you want to go around incriminating yourself in the name of your job, go ahead, but I'm not going to be out here giving people evidence that they have no rights to.

Nobody is saying that he isn't within his rights to not give his phone up, of course he is. But there are consequences. As in "okay, you're guilty then, here's a four game suspension". Rights don't really have anything to do with it. His constitutional rights don't guarantee him employment with the NFL.

What glfpunk said. That is an Apples to Oranges analogy. You need to watch what you are signing away when you agree to take a position with a potential employer. You can wrap yourself in the Constitution all you want but things like business dress codes and the like are still enforceable via whatever means an employee agrees to when signing on with an employer.

Collective Bargaining Agreements can either be your best friend or worst enemy. The First Amendment of the Constitution protects your right to Freedom of Expression, but if you wear your Fuck the Police t-shirt to work, your ass is going to get fired and there won't be much you can do about it.

That is completely different than what I'm talking about. I'm not saying you don't have to follow the rules of your job, I'm saying that you shouldn't do anything to help them investigate you that you wouldn't do for the police. You shouldn't do something that is not in your own best interest to help them gather evidence to potentially punish you. There is a reason those amendments are in the constitution, and despite the fact that they don't apply don't mean you shouldn't use that knowledge to your advantage. Tom Brady's phone is his personal property and Rodger Goodell doesn't have the authority to take it from him without his consent. He can be mad about it, but Tom Brady is well within his rights to refuse to give it to him. If you want to go around incriminating yourself in the name of your job, go ahead, but I'm not going to be out here giving people evidence that they have no rights to.

Nobody is saying that he isn't within his rights to not give his phone up, of course he is. But there are consequences. As in "okay, you're guilty then, here's a four game suspension". Rights don't really have anything to do with it. His constitutional rights don't guarantee him employment with the NFL.

I never said that they guarantee him employment.  I'm saying it would be stupid to agree to do something that goes against his rights to potentially incriminate himself.  Those rights are there for a reason, and it is to protect you from people treating you unfairly.  You should, as he did, use the logic behind those rights to protect yourself, even when they don't apply.  Would you let your boss rummage through your house, just to make sure you aren't a drug addict?  Why is this any different?  Just because this case is a matter of private business and doesn't fall under those protections, it doesn't mean that he should go against those rights.  The worst thing they can do is fire him, and he's a multi-millionaire and married to a woman who is even wealthier than him.  He will be OK.  There is no reason whatsoever he should have given them his phone.  Let them find any evidence of his wrongdoing on their own, he shouldn't help them at all.  My point is that it is arrogant for the NFL to ask him to give up his phone and to act like they are upset when he didn't.  They are asking something completely and totally unreasonable.  If it was between me giving them my phone and me never playing another down of football, I wouldn't play another game of football.  There are some things that are too much to ask, and anything that would be listed under illegal search and seizure is definitely on that list.

I would love to see someone crunch the history of baseball if ball tampering had resulted in forfeiture of draft picks. This whole thing is hilariously over the top but I would expect nothing less from the NFL, which has been the best soap opera on TV forever now.

It's definitely a bit heavy-handed for what is essentially circumstantial evidence.  I get the feeling that Patriots' past cheating incident plays a role in this sentence.  Also, as others have said, it's probably a heavier punishment because it'll get reduced on appeal.

That is completely different than what I'm talking about.  I'm not saying you don't have to follow the rules of your job, I'm saying that you shouldn't do anything to help them investigate you that you wouldn't do for the police.

Two totally different sets of rules and one rarely applies to the other.  If a cop pulls you over for speeding and wants to see what is on your smart phone then you can say, "Warrant, mother fucker," and he couldn't do jack without a court order unless your state legislature / governor shit the bed and turned that hogwash into a law.

If as a condition of your employment, you signed a legally binding document and waived your ability not to fully comply with an internal inquiry if it could turn out to be self incriminating and then balked when you were being investigated, your employers could fire you and they'd have every right to do so.  That's the personal price you paid for joining the League.

There is no Miranda in the workplace.  You provide your terms of service and your employer provides theirs.  If you break their contract, they fire you.   If they break yours, you sue the crap out of them.

I would love to see someone crunch the history of baseball if ball tampering had resulted in forfeiture of draft picks. This whole thing is hilariously over the top but I would expect nothing less from the NFL, which has been the best soap opera on TV forever now.

It's definitely a bit heavy-handed for what is essentially circumstantial evidence. I get the feeling that Patriots' past cheating incident plays a role in this sentence. Also, as others have said, it's probably a heavier punishment because it'll get reduced on appeal.

The punishment the team got definitely incorporated the past incident (Vincent said so). I suspect it also influenced Brady's.