DVDVR Message Board

This Offseason In NFL Stupidity

RIPPA

But if he's willing to write his opinion, there's nothing wrong with me calling out what I think is wrong with it.

But to my mind you weren't arguing that, you were telling all of us to shut up in as many words.  If you want to argue one way or the other join the conversation, but there's no harm in arguing your corner on what crime is worse. 

And you are WAY off base.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

But if he's willing to write his opinion, there's nothing wrong with me calling out what I think is wrong with it.

But to my mind you weren't arguing that, you were telling all of us to shut up in as many words.  If you want to argue one way or the other join the conversation, but there's no harm in arguing your corner on what crime is worse. 

And you are WAY off base.

No, I don't think I am.

And I know that you are.

My issue is that the conversation--which had already taken a bad turn when we took guesses as to what crime could be five times worse than Ray Rice knocking out his wife--then became a comparative analysis of how one form of abuse is worse than the other.

It's insulting to the victims, both human and non-human.  I doubt a battered woman would do such a comparsion.  And if they could talk, I don't think battered animals would, either.  So why should we, over the internet of all places.  I can't compare anyone's pain to anything else.

Obviously, courts do just that every day.  But it's based on legality, not morality. Because those courts are supposed to be objective and go by the laws in its jurisdiction. No one is being objective here--not me, not anyone else. And that's fine.

Maybe no one intended for the conversation to go that way, but it did IMO.  If anyone thinks the conversation is productive as is, okay.  I think it went sideways, but that's my take.

It's not giving or not giving an opinion, in my mind.  It's about having respect for those who have gone through abuse, enough to where even the idea of ranking such awful things--however unintended--should be better practiced.  To where a dialogue can be had without going down that dark turn.

• Like 1

Once the subject of which abuse is worse comes into play--we're royally fucked. Really, that's a conversation worth having? ALL forms of abuse are wrong, and I don't see how a contest over which is worse is worthwhile to anyone. Maiming and killing dogs. Maiming and killing spouses. Cristobal basically said that Vick was worse than Rice because Rice knocked out his wife that one time because he was drunk. Again, I'm not trying to rag on glfpunk or Cristobal here. But if that's what anyone thinks that--good night, we're all screwed.

So pretty much your whole argument is how it's ridiculous to rate and rank these sorts of things and that you and all of us should be above such a thing and you eventually go on to do that exact thing. You couldn't have ended this conversation any more perfectly than you did.

My point is that if Cristobal thinks that is the only time Rice hit his wife--I fear he's mistaken. If someone thinks that's the first time Rice struck his wife--we really have no concept of how this works.

I have no idea whether or not Rice hit his wife other times. It wouldn't surprise me if he did.

I have no idea if Ray Rice is a worse human being than Michael Vick or not. I can't even begin to contemplate the enormity of judging another human being's relative worth, nor would I attempt such.

I took two known things, what Ray Rice is known to have done via the video, and what Michael Vick is known to have done via his trial, and offered my opinion as to which was worse, a subject that was already in discussion. I don't believe I ever "ranked" or "rated" either of these on some hypothetical scale.

In no way was this intended to exonerate or minimize Rice's crime, (and despite the lack of a criminal conviction, I do consider it one.)

I'm not going to argue with you on this, because I think I have an idea of what you are reacting to, and I realize that that creeps into conversations even when the person doing that isn't aware of it, but I don't believe I'm saying what you think I said.

It's not like MIchael Vick or Ray Rice got busted with some pot in their car or something. Everyone knows that. To say someone did worse or compare their actions just strikes me as morbid and creepy. My 2 cents.

Let me recap as best as possible

Saints owner is Tom Benson - he is old.

He had written into his will that ownership of the team would go to his kids - specifically his daughter Rita (these are all kids from his first marriage)

A couple of months ago - Benson changes his will so that control will go to his current wife, Gayle (new wife. Not the mother of the children)

Kids are unhappy and challenge the will change - basically using the "HE IS OLD AND DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!!" defense

Judge agrees and Benson will have to undergo evaluations to say if he was of "sound mind" when he made the will change.

Well there are reports now that Benson changed his will because Rita shook the shit out of Gayle before a game in Dec.

Also - as a tangent - there are stories that Rita Benson LeBlanc is well... not a good person... and that she is hated within the organization.

Ray Rice is going to get $1.5 million for wrongful termination.  I don't know how to say he probably deserves it without needing to take a shower.  You know how irresponsibly you have to act to make Ray Rice look like a victim after that video?  The Ravens and the NFL just wrote an instruction manual.

Ray Rice is going to get $1.5 million for wrongful termination.  I don't know how to say he probably deserves it without needing to take a shower.  You know how irresponsibly you have to act to make Ray Rice look like a victim after that video?  The Ravens and the NFL just wrote an instruction manual.

All they had to do was follow a logical punishment process. Since they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't, Ray Rice, the wife-beating scum had legal recourse. Still doesn't make him a good person or anything like that. . . he may be entitled to it, but he's still scum.

The Benson family feud is so going to end up in this thread before too long

I read this and was like 'Cedric Benson is still relevant?'.

I may play too many old versions of Madden.

It's Toomer. 

From the blurb...

Then former NY Giants WR Amani Toomer stops by to talk about the NFL Combine, De La Salle Highschool, plaing in the pros vs college, this years draft class, and staing in shape and eating clean...