DVDVR Message Board

Country music

TimWresPowr

• 4 months later...

Best review ever... this guy knows how to cut a promo.

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/flori ... ntry-music

:lol: it's laughable how much contempt this guy musters over a simple party style country album.  But OMG it's the WORST ALBUM EVARRR~  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile it's the #1 album in the country, and these guys are making more money than anyone else in the music industry. Sure it's not filled with highbrow introspective thoughts or social commentary, but they are capitalizing on a huge demand in the market for this kind of music obviously.  Don't get mad at them for giving their audience what they want to hear, and having a fresh new sound that exploded like it has. 

I love Hank Williams and those old school guys more than almost anyone, and I can still enjoy this style of country for what it is, simple fun music.  Hell if you want to point the finger at someone, blame the record labels and radio stations that promote this new country style over antiquated cash/hank/waylon/willie/strait type stuff that this reviewer pines for.

9291_cdac.jpeg

Well I think they have good songs, and there's certainly millions of other people who feel that way as well.  Anyone is welcome to feel good bad or indifferent about them, but how can anyone try to judge them and tell millions of people who like them that they are wrong for liking them because their music is just universally and inherently bad?

Just got Radney Foster's new CD in yesterday.  Highly recommended.  In fact I'd recommend his entire catalog of music.

Tim, the highlight of moving to Nashville so far was running into Foster, Sam Bush, and Jim Lauderdale discussing shingles in the frozen section of Whole Foods about a week after I unpacked.

9291_cdac.jpeg

Well I think they have good songs, and there's certainly millions of other people who feel that way as well.  Anyone is welcome to feel good bad or indifferent about them, but how can anyone try to judge them and tell millions of people who like them that they are wrong for liking them because their music is just universally and inherently bad?

The same way those of us that were around during Billy Ray Cyrus' heyday did: keep telling the fans, "You know this is terrible, right?", with the knowledge that they will get there on their own someday.

Also, it's worth pointing out that everyone involved in FGL's career were behind Nickelback too, and have already warned the guys that their music is going to get really old, really fast.

I think someone said it best in another forum I read: what we're seeing in country right now is merely the "hair band" era. All o these bro-country dudes are basically just striving to release albums with ten cuts of "Dr. Feelgood". Probably what it's going to take is a more photogenic version if a Jamey Johnson to bring about the "grunge" era.

• Like 1

9291_cdac.jpeg

Well I think they have good songs, and there's certainly millions of other people who feel that way as well. Anyone is welcome to feel good bad or indifferent about them, but how can anyone try to judge them and tell millions of people who like them that they are wrong for liking them because their music is just universally and inherently bad?

Well, that is pretty much the textbook definition of a music critic, so...

I guess they are an easy target, the poster boys for "bro-country" and they are EVERYWHERE lately, I don't know how they have time to sleep.  I think Aldean, Bryan, Owen, etc. get a pass because they have recorded a variety of music even if they also have songs in the bro-country/party in my truck theme.  FGL clearly must be doing an album full of the same song/theme over & over.  The reviewer even mentions that "Dirt" is the lone exception & shows that these guys could deliver quality if they chose to.  I think everyone realizes it's a fad but how much is the fault of the label/radio song pushers and how much is the fault of a "social media" generation who just embrace whatever is the cool/popular thing at the moment as a diversion is still up for debate.

On another note, we had a recent shakeup in our country radio lineup.  The #2 country station recently got moved to another position on the dial.  This was the station that was supposed to be an alternative to the mainstream station but over the years just turned into more of the same with a slightly different playlist.  In its place on the dial is "HANK FM" which very much seems like it's like a nationally syndicated station with no local flavor/presence, but WOW is it a breath of fresh air.  Hearing a good mix of early 90s stuff with the occassional Cash/Waylon/Willie mixed in is such a welcome change to the same BS over & over the main stations were playing.  Even so after a week I think they too need to expand the playlist, as it's too heavy on Garth Brooks for example.  It's as if this station is in a time machine & is as repetitive & predictable as a station in 1992 probably was.

• Like 1

Just got Jason Aldean's new one, Old Boots, New Dirt, off of iTunes. Every artist has a record that most listeners won't appreciate until much later on because stylistically it's a complete different sound than what they are used to from that artist. I think this is Jason's time for that. It's pretty obvious that most, of not all of the songs, are about his divorce. There's a lot of good stuff on the album. I was obsessed with Burnin' It Down when it came out, but now i am having a hard time picking a favorite song. I could see Just Gettin' Started being a big radio hit.

• Like 1

Spent part of last night listening to "Nashville Outlaws", which is a country tribute to Motley Crue. The best things on it are Gretchen Wilson doing "Wild Side" and Cadillac Three covering "Live Wire". One of the oddest things on it is Aaron Lewis really twanging it up on "Afraid".

• 4 weeks later...

I reorganized my country playlist with over 10 hours of that on my iPod. Oddily enough, the only women on the thing are Dolly, Shania and a little Carrie. I don't know why, but when people talk about the yee-haww and what not side of country that they hate, I feel like women represent it more.

But whatever, I am in love with Chris Young at the moment.

I like people covering her stuff more than her. I don't know why. Her singing style of a 1940's singer in a movie just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

Tho I do have a little Loretta. Idk, when it comes to female singers, I rather listen to some soul music. Or even pop. I don't know why women in country music don't do it for me.

• 2 months later...

As if country music's treatment of women wasn't already a problem, now they apparently can't even stick together.  A totally innocuous, fun song celebrating being female is being knocked for being anti-feminist.  What happened to being able to write and sing what you damn well please without facing criticism?  No wonder music is becoming so homogenized & pasturized if something like this is considered controversial.  Ridiculous.

http://www.etonline.com/music/160350_raelynn_shakes_off_anti_feminist_criticism_of_god_made_girls_behind_the_hit/

I don't even know what's classed as Country tbh... I mean I hate that traditional Nashville sound, and some musicians fade into the pastiche. With that said here's some artists I enjoy who I would class as Americana:

• Lucero
  • Cory Brannan
  • Chuck Ragan
  • Willie Nelson
  • Kris Kristofferson
  • Johnny Cash
  • John Moreland
  • Hurray For The Riff Raff
  • Merle Haggard
  • Bonnie Prince Billy
  • Trampled By Turtles
  • Townes Van Sandt
  • Uncle Tupelo
  • The Kossoy Sisters

As if country music's treatment of women wasn't already a problem, now they apparently can't even stick together.  A totally innocuous, fun song celebrating being female is being knocked for being anti-feminist.  What happened to being able to write and sing what you damn well please without facing criticism?  No wonder music is becoming so homogenized & pasturized if something like this is considered controversial.  Ridiculous.

http://www.etonline.com/music/160350_raelynn_shakes_off_anti_feminist_criticism_of_god_made_girls_behind_the_hit/

Yeah but it's only criticism from Jezebel.com, which is such an extreme version of feminism at this point they are basically like femi-nazis.  They routinely attack other feminists for not being feminist enough.  They may screech loudly, but I don't think they really speak for a majority of women in this country.  The ET article puts RaeLynn over nicely though, so props to her on her success.

Yeah but it's only criticism from Jezebel.com, which is such an extreme version of feminism at this point they are basically like femi-nazis.  They routinely attack other feminists for not being feminist enough.  They may screech loudly, but I don't think they really speak for a majority of women in this country.  The ET article puts RaeLynn over nicely though, so props to her on her success.

That song is terrible and should be shamed for being terrible.

• Like 1

<p>

I don't even know what's classed as Country tbh... I mean I hate that traditional Nashville sound, and some musicians fade into the pastiche. With that said here's some artists I enjoy who I would class as Americana:

• Lucero
  • Cory Brannan
  • Chuck Ragan
  • Willie Nelson
  • Kris Kristofferson
  • Johnny Cash
  • John Moreland
  • Hurray For The Riff Raff
  • Merle Haggard
  • Bonnie Prince Billy
  • Trampled By Turtles
  • Townes Van Sandt
  • Uncle Tupelo
  • The Kossoy Sisters

Yeah, these days I'm pretty sure anything that sounds vaguely country but isn't recorded in Nashville is considered Americana.