DVDVR Message Board

YOUR MISSY ELLIOTT EDUCATION THREAD

RIPPA

So you and the internet are stupid - some of you are questioning why the fuck I marked the fuck out for the return of Missy Elliott.

First of all - the three songs from yesterday

• Like 2

Supa Dupa Fly > Internet haters.

Work It is the fucking meteorite.

Missy repped the Old Dominion with fucking distinction last night.

Here is some more of dat hot shit for ya punk asses.

• Like 1

I liked Missy when she first came out.  She had some very different videos that I liked, and she had a great run for a few years on MTV so it was hard not to see her.  Amazing how she lost so much weight in that time too.

I was very happy to see her at the Halftime Show last night.  Then I found out she has been going through Grave's disease and I'm even happier for her.  A definite highlight of the show.

Honestly though the best thing to come out of the Timbaland camp was that he gave the Internet Hip-Hop Community a gold standard for wack corny rappers around the turn of the millenium:

g4WSnw.gif

Timbaland knows the way to reach the top of the chart.

Maybe if I work with him I can perfect the art.

- Weezer "Pork & Beans"

I was talking to my friend today about Missy, and how no one over 40 and no one under 20 seems to know who she is, and I got to thinking is she the ultimate time and place artist?  She was legit one of the best, most successful artists in the world at her peak, but she went away and no one really took her spot, and her songs never really stayed in the public consciousness.  She popped up on the Super Bowl and exactly one generation of people seemed to even know who she was. It has barely been 10 years since she was on top of the world, and her amazing career was almost totally forgotten.  Is there another artist who means so much to such a specific group of people?  Seriously she was basically the most important person(not named R. Kelly) in R&B over the last 20 years.  She was a co-writer and producer on Diary of a Mad Band in 1993 and after that became probably the most prolific featured artist ever...she was on EVERYTHING.  Somehow when she performed at the Super Bowl the vast majority of people had no clue who she was, how is that even possible?

I am a huge fan of Timbaland and when I hadn't heard anything from Missy in awhile a couple years back and I found out that she has been battling with Graves disease.  She was very sick for a couple years and according a People article: The disease – which Elliott was diagnosed with in 2008 – first began affecting her motor skills, followed by a string of symptoms: dizzy spells, lumps in her throat, mood swings, hair loss, a fast heart rate and bulging eyes.

I am just glad that she is doing better now and she represented VA very well.

I'm fine with contrarian opinions, but to outright call her shit?  Yeah, good luck with that.  Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it.

I haven't heard much from Timbaland in quite a while.  He was famous around that time and while he did something with Timberlake it seems he went back to producing.  It's possible he did more than I'm aware of, but he might fit in that category Supremebve was talking about.

You could also say Aaliyah, but that was due to a sad situation more than anything else.

• 9 months later...