DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I hadn't heard that Fox execs want it to become more of a procedural, but I'm not surprised.  Kinda wondered if network interference wasn't the reason Moloch was seemingly neutralized midway through the season.  Show became a lot more generic after that.  Yeah, I'm probably not too interested in a monster of the week version of the show either.

I don't think there's any question that's what happened. Over the summer, Fox sacked Kevin Reilly, who was a big risk taker who greenlighted a lot of weird stuff like this show and the upcoming THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (don't get too attached to that one!) and some other stuff, and replaced him with a couple of studio bean counters.

Their comments about SH happened at press tour, which was after the midseason finale. At the time, I was willing to buy into the producers saying that it was always their plan to do away with Moloch early, but after hearing the new execs say that and seeing how the remainder of the season served to clumsily tie up most of the mythological loose ends, it seems obvious what was going on with this show.

But without the insane mythology, I don't see how this show is any different than countless other procedurals where an eccentric male solves crime with the help of his straigh-laced female assistant/partner/whatever.

Has any good ever come from a TV exec saying to a showrunner "make this more of a procedural"?

There are 236 procedurals on television. People already have plenty to choose from. You can't force shows that obviously don't have that format into being one.

Reminds me of that story about CBS adapting Supergirl but deciding, yes, it has to be a police show with a different case every week.

Melanie Lynskey is also really goddamn good and I'm glad she's being given a chance to shine. Long overdue.

Pretty much the only good thing about Two and a Half Men was that it kept her in the spotlight for a while. She's a criminally under-rated actress.

Has any good ever come from a TV exec saying to a showrunner "make this more of a procedural"?

There are 236 procedurals on television. People already have plenty to choose from. You can't force shows that obviously don't have that format into being one.

Reminds me of that story about CBS adapting Supergirl but deciding, yes, it has to be a police show with a different case every week.

Well, big 4 TV execs don't know shit, creatively-speaking.  They are extremely risk-averse and just go for what's proven, what's safe, and what appeals to the lowest common denominator.  Why push the envelope when every iteration of CSI/NCIS/L&O draws eyeballs?

And they wonder why we flock to AMC, HBO, Showtime, etc.

Eh...it was TV execs who told David Lynch to reveal who killed Laura Palmer. Prior to that, he was not intending to answer it...ever.

Granted, that show got frustrating after a while. But I cannot imagine how bad it would have been if we had never even got closure on who killed her.

Man, just when BATES MOTEL has a great episode that's on topic with Norman getting all creepy predator on Norma and running away from the sheriff, they have to go and do a "twist" where he's what kidnapped by druglords?  The FUCK!?  Just stop loading the character down with so much EPIC BACKSTORY.

Every time they do that they get farther away from the character ever coming back around to the beautiful simplicity of the film original.  I just don't want a Norman Bates who's a battle hardened schemer who's done battle with legions of antagonists.  He's not a character on LOST for fuck's sake.

Also is it a bad sign that the crazier Norma Bates gets the more I'm kind of into her?  Vera Farmiga, man.  Damn.

God dammit. So...Togetherness is really, really good.

It's also really fucking painful to watch. At times, I feel like Jay and Mark Duplass based the moments with Mark and Melanie Lynskey off of my failed marriage, and that's when I realized that this is a way too accurate portrayal of a marriage that's falling apart. The husband is really sweet, frustrated with how things are going and confused why his wife is becoming distant. The wife hasn't realized it yet, but she's not in love with the husband and she just keeps growing farther away from the husband.

At this point, I'm just waiting for the moment the wife cheats on the husband and the husband finds out. It's that fucking real.

That fucking Christ for all the segments with the friend and Amanda Peet. It's a very interesting juxtaposition with the friend and Amanda Peet and all the hope they have going for them while Mark and Melanie's characters are just falling apart.

I don't wanna read your whole post because I'm only one episode in, but I'm really loving it.  I love the way Steve Zissis is just so out there and un-embarrassed and good.  He was also super good in The Do-Deca Pentathlon which was directed by the Duplass Brothers as well.

Melanie Lynskey is also really goddamn good and I'm glad she's being given a chance to shine. Long overdue.

The scene in the first episode where she talks to her sister about getting caught masturbating is somehow simultaneously really funny and really sad.  I was just watching 'Up in the Air' the other day and thought "Man, why isn't she in more stuff?"

Also, how in the hell is she from goddamn New Zealand, yet has no trace of accent whatsoever in anything she does (Save for maybe the movie 'Happy Christmas')?!

I was just watching 'Up in the Air' the other day and thought "Man, why isn't she in more stuff?"

Same reason Heather Matarazzo can only get scant guest parts on television these days but somehow Minka Kelly keeps getting role after role despite having all the acting skills of a 5 year Joseph at the school nativity play.

Yeah, I've never been crazy about the drugs stuff.

It's Norman Bates, for crying out loud. It's scary enough. I don't think Hitchcock was filming Psycho in 1960 and thinking "Hmmm, this story needs more evil druglords."

Heck, Marion Crane, bank robber/embezzler, is just the Macguffin to get you to the Bates Motel.

God...Veep and Silicon Valley, comedies that don't need to be dark, need to come back quick.

Silicon Valley is so, so, so good. I can't wait for the next season.

I'm really excited for The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt. It stars Ellie Kemper and was put together by Tina Fey. Ellie plays Kimmie Schmidt, who was in a doomsday cult for a decade and is now just a single gal trying to make it in the big city. I think that is my favorite premise for a show ever.

THE SLAP EPISODE 3 is so friggin' bad.

It focuses around Anouk. She's the best friend of the couple whose house the aforementioned slap took place. She's dating a guy 13 years younger than her who writes for the TV show she acts on. (I think that's it. He's also in a boring Brooklyn band.) She has three problems: She saw Hector cheating; she's pregnant (and wants an abortion); and her mom (who she can't stand) is moving to Scotland.

It is so dumb and really doesn't have anything to do with the actual SLAP. She did have lunch with the mom of the dumb kid who got his face cracked and actually put her in her place. "An adult slapping a kid in the face is only a little bit worse than a kid nearly hitting another child with a baseball bat." And why don't you teach your kid to not swing a baseball bat at other children?

This is awful/awesome. This episode so completely not compelling. It's pretty brilliant.

• Like 1

My wife showed me some of the second episode of The Slap last night. LOL. The stuff I've read about every character being completely awful is so dead on. The guy who slaps is a jerk. The mom, who probably will breastfeed her kid until he's 25, is just insufferable. She's like the worst imaginable caricature of a new age touchy-feely mom whose precious snowflake can do no wrong. The kid is a beast. Good grief, they're all just so hateable.

Yeah, I'm gonna watch more.