DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Hmmm...a TV series of documentaries? This thread or the documentary one? In the Netflix thread since that's where I watched them? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I was basically dead for the last three days. When I wasn't sleeping, I was watching Netflix. And occasionally playing Assassin's Creed Unity (yes, still). And when I was watching Netflix, I was watching...

Zero Hour - TV series of a bunch of one hour documentaries on various cataclysmic events in recent history. The gimmick is that they cover the one hour leading up to, and including, the big event in fine detail. They mess with this a little bit in some episodes - stopping at the big event in some (9/11) and going all the way through the big event in others (Columbine). Doesn't matter. This is GREAT stuff. The selection of events across the three seasons is pretty varied. There's the ones I knew in detail - 9/11, Columbine. There's the ones I had a passing familiarity with - Chernobyl, Columbia Explosion, Tokyo subway gas attack. And then there's the ones I'd never heard of before - the murder of the Nepal royal family, Bali night club bombings, and several others. And no matter which category something falls into, I learned a LOT about each event. They get a lot of interviews from witnesses, have excellent footage and good recreations. This is a well-done series that really needs to be revived. 9/10.

My wife has roped me into watching BATES MOTEL

I hesitated and only half-watched the first season because I'm generally against the idea of such a backstory for Norman Bates.  I think he works better as a character when he is just a sheltered loser who never left the house and knew nothing of the world, rather than a guy who lived through all these intense struggles with multiple antagonists.

But I'm being drawn in by Vera Farmiga.  I feel I have way too much in common personality-wise with Norma Bates and in too many scenes I find myself thinking "Now, see that's exactly the kind of thinking that gets me in trouble too."

We talked about the first season of BATES MOTEL a little on the old board, or maybe the old TV thread. Farmiga really is excellent, and I think Freddie Highmore does about as well with that role as anyone could, really.

I also like the sickly girl whose name I forget. She had pretty much the best character introduction ever when she found that creepy sex slave journal in Norman's room and was TOTALLY INTO IT.

I even think the older brother really adds something to the show when he's opposite Norma and/or Norman. When he's off in his own stories about the weed business...not so much.

The plots tend to be hit or miss. That's really the only thing holding it back from being a really good show.

I think season 2 just hit on Netflix, so I'll probably be catching up some time soon.

We talked about the first season of BATES MOTEL a little on the old board, or maybe the old TV thread. Farmiga really is excellent, and I think Freddie Highmore does about as well with that role as anyone could, really.

I also like the sickly girl whose name I forget. She had pretty much the best character introduction ever when she found that creepy sex slave journal in Norman's room and was TOTALLY INTO IT.

I even think the older brother really adds something to the show when he's opposite Norma and/or Norman. When he's off in his own stories about the weed business...not so much.

The plots tend to be hit or miss. That's really the only thing holding it back from being a really good show.

I think season 2 just hit on Netflix, so I'll probably be catching up some time soon.

Dylan is great because he's the only truly sane person in the family, even with the criminal side-career.

He's like Mike from Breaking Bad. He knows disaster is coming and is trying to prevent it...but he's totally doomed. I take the fact that he's not involved by the time the events of Psycho roll around to mean he probably dies before that.  Emma, too.

Chuck Lorre is the most petty man alive.

http://tvline.com/2015/02/19/two-and-a-half-men-series-finale-charlie-sheen-ending-explained-chuck-lorre/

You don't say.

It's funny how he used the possible appearance of Sheen to draw viewers in.  Like I said, we all got trolled big time.

I did notice that Lorre used the Patrice Oneal joke from the Sheen Roast as a gag(Christian Slater being confused for Charlie).  

I just saw a commercial for season 3. Think it starts the beginning of March.

I've never seen what the ratings are, but it's A&E, so I doubt the threshold for them is very high.

The show works on so many levels because of the boyish charm and innate creepiness of Freddie Highmoore. 

I kinda stopped watching after my girl, Jiao, went missing and was presumed dead.

I am also annoyed that they never used this track::

as incidental music for the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBUmiUe4r4#t=2610

This show was MADE for you. It's the second edition of "The Special Without Brett Davis."  This week, it's hosted by BOBBY BLAYZE, the Southern Spitfire babyface wrestler who is the current Visine World Champion. During this episode, we meet his biggest fan JoJo -- a child dying of "brain rot" who is also pregnant, whose Make-A-Wish wish was to meet her hero! However, proceedings later get ruined by "Skullfucker" Harley Tucker who interrupts a contract signing complete with a table bump!

Yes, I am plugging my friends' show. But it's really friggin' hilarious.

Y'all I am in love with Backstrom.  I just love how it's a "procedural" show, but it's really not.  They have the case of the week to involve the other characters, but it really is all about peeling back layers on the Backstrom character every week to discover more and more about why he is the way he is.  Show has exceeded my expectations so far.

This is mainly for my own sake because I wanted to make a list, but I'm pretty happy with the slate of what my wife and I are watching right now. It's usually pretty easy to find a middle ground that doesn't hit my far extreme (Venture Bros, more Britishy period dramas for instance) and hers (Criminal Minds, SVU, NCIS).

In-Season

Agent Carter/SHIELD

Suits

12 Monkeys

How To Get Away With Murder

The Blacklist

Castle

Galavant/Once Upon a Time

The Middle

Gotham

Off season:

Fargo

Game of Thrones

Royal Pains

True Criminal

Defiance

Hell on Wheels

Librarians

Doctor Who

Orphan Black

Flash

Arrow

When they make a season out of it eventually:

Man in the High Castle

Probably cancelled:

Halt and Catch Fire

It's a pretty good genre mix and light/heavy mix in general, with a few things we can watch with the kid too (Who, Librarians, Middle, Carter/Shield, Flash). TV is really good right now and there's plenty of stuff we'd like that we're not even tapping into (House of Cards, Vikings, The Americans, etc). 

Probably cancelled:

Halt and Catch Fire

Me and Tabe were discussing this show a couple pages ago. (Holy crap, just looked and it was all the way back on page 3. Before The Slap and piranesi's Locklear crush started dominating the conversation. Seriously guys, you got way too worked up about The fucking Slap.) It's not cancelled, AMC just announced it's coming back in the summer. Apparently its ratings were beyond abysmal, but AMC has no content past The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul once Mad Men finishes up, so that's what likely saved it.

This is mainly for my own sake because I wanted to make a list, but I'm pretty happy with the slate of what my wife and I are watching right now. It's usually pretty easy to find a middle ground that doesn't hit my far extreme (Venture Bros, more Britishy period dramas for instance) and hers (Criminal Minds, SVU, NCIS).

In-Season

Agent Carter/SHIELD

Suits

12 Monkeys

How To Get Away With Murder

The Blacklist

Castle

Galavant/Once Upon a Time

The Middle

Gotham

Off season:

Fargo

Game of Thrones

Royal Pains

True Criminal

Defiance

Hell on Wheels

Librarians

Doctor Who

Orphan Black

Flash

Arrow

When they make a season out of it eventually:

Man in the High Castle

Probably cancelled:

Halt and Catch Fire

It's a pretty good genre mix and light/heavy mix in general, with a few things we can watch with the kid too (Who, Librarians, Middle, Carter/Shield, Flash). TV is really good right now and there's plenty of stuff we'd like that we're not even tapping into (House of Cards, Vikings, The Americans, etc).

I presume you haven'tstarted on Wolf Hall yet.

Speaking of Patrice, I turned on the Charlie roast on Comedy Central last night on a fluke and there he was... in his last performance... joking about dying of diabetes. Damn.

Speaking of Roasts. The next one is Justin Bieber? Pass.

Speaking of Patrice, I turned on the Charlie roast on Comedy Central last night on a fluke and there he was... in his last performance... joking about dying of diabetes. Damn.

Speaking of Roasts. The next one is Justin Bieber? Pass.
And apparently he asked to be roasted, as some sort of PR move to make himself a "willing to laugh at himself, regular guy" type bullshit. I hope they blindside him and just get a Dias of killers who get him to break.