DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

My buddy Brett Davis has started a new show on a Manhattan cable access channel. This is the debut. It's hilarious to start with and it's the first episode. Get on this bandwagon NOW.

Hey everybody let's talk about TV shows and then Gregggggg will ham-fistedly shoehorn a shill for his friends.

What happens when a bunch of people with very few problems have one tiny problem?  That doesn't scream 8 episodes to me, but ehh..

Maybe I'm wrong, but I will NEVER watch it to find out.  Of course I'm not exactly in the target demo.  The commercial during the Superbowl was pretty fucking hilarious though.  If NBC wants people to take the show seriously they got off to a bad start.

• Like 1

What happens when a bunch of people with very few problems have one tiny problem? That doesn't scream 8 episodes to me, but ehh..

Maybe I'm wrong, but I will NEVER watch it to find out. Of course I'm not exactly in the target demo. The commercial during the Superbowl was pretty fucking hilarious though. If NBC wants people to take the show seriously they got off to a bad start.

Thats just the beginning though! Wait until season 4 when trouble is brewing because one of the adults slaps the wisecracking alien that show up!!

What happens when a bunch of people with very few problems have one tiny problem?  That doesn't scream 8 episodes to me, but ehh..

Maybe I'm wrong, but I will NEVER watch it to find out.  Of course I'm not exactly in the target demo.  The commercial during the Superbowl was pretty fucking hilarious though.  If NBC wants people to take the show seriously they got off to a bad start.

I wouldn't necessarlily call an adult slapping someone's else kid across the face a "tiny problem". I think the premise of the show is great, but with a title like "The Slap" you're bound for people not to take it seriously.

I mean, on the scale of TV Problems it doesn't even register.  It's sort of cool of NBC to try something against the grain, although it's far too late for that, but shouldn't it be someones job to stop and say "Yo, we are trying to break into the prestige TV business with a show called THE SLAP, we should probably rethink this."

I mean, on the scale of TV Problems it doesn't even register. 

"I've just been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and now have to enter the dangerous criminal underworld to start peddling meth to ensure my family's financial security!"

vs.

"My kid was being a demonic hellbrat and attacking people with a bat when another adult slapped him to knock some sense into him." 

• Like 1

I'm sure there's been a movie that starts with the lead doing something bad. Then the villain comes after them for revenge, but they end up over-reacting and being so crazy and bloodthirsty,  the audience is in do doubt who the bad guy is.

Cape Fear?

Gone Girl?

I mean, he was a sleazebag who cheated on her and that was absolutely wrong. But, yeah, talk about over-reacting... 

Ben Affleck also did a movie with Sam Jackson where he managed to bankrupt the entire finances of SLJ's character (movie magic made this happen with one keystroke) and get him arrested at his kids' public school in the midst of a nasty separation. This was all because SLJ wouldn't give him back one document that ultimately didn't matter at the end of the movie (SPOILERS!).

I watched Law Abiding Citizen a long time ago but I seem to remember it being something along those lines.

He's referring to Changing Lanes.  Affeck gets into a car accident involving SLJ, is a dick to SLJ, and strands him on the roadside, causing SLJ to miss a custody hearing and lose his kids.  Unfortunately, he leaves some important papers at the scene of the accident, which SLJ picks up.  The rest of the movie is the two men doing heinous stuff to each other because..... they're both jerks, basically.

And Affleck didn't bankrupt SLJ's character.  He had a computer expert hack in and ruin SLJ's credit rating, which causes him to lose a home loan.

I don't remember Affleck or SLJ being in Law Abiding Citizen..

I watched Law Abiding Citizen a long time ago but I seem to remember it being something along those lines.

He's referring to Changing Lanes.  Affeck gets into a car accident involving SLJ, is a dick to SLJ, and strands him on the roadside, causing SLJ to miss a custody hearing and lose his kids.  Unfortunately, he leaves some important papers at the scene of the accident, which SLJ picks up.  The rest of the movie is the two men doing heinous stuff to each other because..... they're both jerks, basically.

And Affleck didn't bankrupt SLJ's character.  He had a computer expert hack in and ruin SLJ's credit rating, which causes him to lose a home loan.

I don't remember Affleck or SLJ being in Law Abiding Citizen..

Neither of them were.  I was responding to Reed's post about movies in which a character does something bad, then someone who was wronged coming for revenge but going completely overboard about it.

He did that and emptied his bank accounts.

Plus, there was a scene explicitly discussing that

Doyle Gipson: I wasn't bankrupt yesterday and I'm not bankrupt today!

Ron Cabot: I'm sorry, Mr. Gipson. The computer says you are.

[Doyle takes the computer monitor from the desk and smashes it]

Doyle Gipson: Now it doesn't!

The Slap is a really great example of how art and things are appropriated in today's society. It was an excerpt in Adbusters which drew enough response and acclaim to make the novel noteworthy and eventually it won the commonwealth prize. After that it was adapted for TV in Australia and now it's on NBC. I think it's funny how things progress now. Maybe it's not new in any way, but it seems like with each leap to a more mainstream media style, it became less biting and pointed and became more of a 'think piece'.

I am like 10 minutes into The Slap and it's the worst. I love it so much. The awful narration, the bland acting, the confusing amount of characters, rich people problems, the insane amount of smooth jazz that plays when the dude fantasizes over the babysitter, etc. I haven't even gotten to THE SLAP itself yet and I detest this.

I think at some point in the last four years, Thandie Newton pissed someone off really bad and Carmen Ejogo is getting all her roles.

Thandie is getting long in the tooth anyways. Great Britain can send over Antonia Thomas any day now. Jessica Sula is already doing some ABC Family garbage.