DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I'd love it if it were like a weekly formula show where like, a different kid gets slapped each week.

Also, not to sound like a Sinbad skit, but when I was a kid, any familiar grown up in the neighborhood was allowed to snatch a knot in your ass for actin a fool.

That would be relevant if ZQ's character were actually interested in discipline but he is an asshole who is enforcing his will on a weaker being.

The Slap itself is not important.   The social underpinnings and and the actions screwed up people that all build up to The Slap are what should be focused on.

Is there anyone who WOULDN'T have slapped that kid?

What a brat.

No one has any business open hand slapping kids that are not their own.  My daughter is very well behaved, but if anyone is going to use corporal punish her when she misbehaves, it is going to be me or another member of my family.

Anyone who slaps my child is going to get their ass beat, guaran-damn-teed.

That being said, no one is really taking time to discern why the kid's behavior is so horrible.  People will probably change their tune about the kid being so bratty or the parents being at fault if it is revealed that he is autistic or has some other behavioral disorder or mental deficiency and the parents are doing the best they can.

I think the about face from the pro-slapping crowd would be better if the parents were uber lenient because the kid had leukemia or something.

The show seems to be written to make you challenge your own convictions.  Like Piranesi said, it is fucking brilliant.

Also Workaholics was really good too. They're fans of MMA, namely PRIDE.

I am not saying they cribbed it from the Fight Network and John Pollock, but yeah I am saying they stole the idea.

Point taken and there's a good chance it was hijacked form that, but even then if you ask most people, Workaholics will probably be created for that simply because maybe only a handful of Canadian's and MMA fans have actually seen that video.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore started out as something interesting, but it has quickly lost it's charm with me and I've lost interest in it. Wilmore has some funny one liners, but it just doesn't do much for me aside from that.

Well, I was mostly joking.The kid was absolutely awful though.

If they wanted the situation to be ambiguous, maybe he should have been a nice, if slightly hyperactive boy? That way when he gets slapped you feel bad and can understand his mother going mental.

If they wanted the situation to be ambiguous, maybe he should have been a nice, if slightly hyperactive boy? That way when he gets slapped you feel bad and can understand his mother going mental.

I think it is far better to have the kid be a brat.   There is no justification for hitting a child like that just like there is no justification for the parents not properly administrating over their child's behavior.

I am friendly with my daughter, but I am not her friend. I am her father and she will behave in the manner I prescribe.

I think we are supposed to have issues with all parties involved in The Slap.   All are equally at fault.

Essentially you're right. But I have seen a lot of online reaction with most saying the kid was horrible and had it coming. The mom isn't remotely sympathetic either. She is so an anti-vaxxer.

Yeah, the guy shouldn't have done it. But the kid and his mom are coming off as so hideous, it's hard not to empathize more with him.

As a non-parent, i speak with no experience, but twice this yEar, ive been out eating lunch and been sat next to horribly behaving children where the parents did nothing to discipline them. NoT that i wanted them slapped, but when a small child screams for at least a half-hour, id hope you do something about it.

Im sure thiS is all kharma for beIng a bad kid, but ive blotted out mist of those memories. :)

Yeah, the guy shouldn't have done it. But the kid and his mom are coming off as so hideous, it's hard not to empathize more with him.

So how does it reflect on you as a person that you empathize with a man that open hand slaps a child?  Even a  bratty child? 

ZQ's character doesn't slap the boy to discipline him.  He hits the kid in retaliation for being kicked in the shin.

As an adult, he doesn't have the discipline it takes to restrain himself from hurting a child just as the child does not have the discipline to mind his own behavior.  Irony!

I think it is this sort of value manipulation that will make this show interesting even though i find the events and acting to be a bit overblown.  I think The Slap will eventually collapse under the weight of its own cliche.

• Like 1

I don't feel the slap itself is that ambiguous. He shouldn't have done it.

I don't think the aftermath is some big thing of "Oh, whose side are you going to take?" though, either. It's far easier to forgive someone for a rash moment of anger than an inept, clueless mother who insists of on fucking up her kid even more and ruining everyone's life over something that simply isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.

I'm willing to bet that by the time this show is over, even the most anti-corporal punishment of people are going to hate this woman more than anyone else. She's awful.

I don't feel the slap itself is that ambiguous. He shouldn't have done it.

I don't think the aftermath is some big thing of "Oh, whose side are you going to take?" though, either. It's far easier to forgive someone for a rash moment of anger than an inept, clueless mother who insists of on fucking up her kid even more and ruining everyone's life over something that simply isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.

See how this show messes with you?  In the first statement you condemn the action and in the second statement you excuse the actor.

Shouldn't hitting a child like that be bad no matter what?  Yes it should..

Eh, maybe. But I think there's a real difference being someone doing something in the heat of the moment (that on its own doesn't really affect anything) and a prolonged, crazy over-reaction to it (that ruins people's lives.)

You could be right though. Yeah, maybe they want to make the mom and her son as terrible as possible so people will feel that way.

I'm sure there's been a movie that starts with the lead doing something bad. Then the villain comes after them for revenge, but they end up over-reacting and being so crazy and bloodthirsty,  the audience is in do doubt who the bad guy is.

For a one episode thing in a drama series, it would be interesting. Desperate Housewives did a episode where Bree hit one of Linette's kids and Linette got mad.

Can you get a whole six or eight hour mini-series out of it though?

At some point people are going to be sitting at home going "Get over it! You know what nightmarish violence some kids in America are subjected to every day? Who cares about this?"

This isn't a problem. It's a rich white suburban person's idea of a problem.

Having seen the Australian mini-series the NBC version is remaking, yeah, you can absolutely get 8 episodes out of the premise.  As said, the slap itself is just the jumping off point.  The show is really about the people affected and how their respective worlds unwind very quickly in the aftermath of what really is an isolated incident.  Really, the show is about the bonds between the characters and how tenuous they are.  Basically, the setup for the show portrays the characters as a happy, close-knit group.  But pretty much everyone is living in denial about something or other.  The slap sets a chain of events in motion that basically didn't need to happen.  If the characters had been as close as they appeared, or as smart and rational as they think they are, the conflicts would have been settled before things got out of hand.

I don't know that I'd press charges if someone slapped one of my children, particularly if they were a family member.  I don't think you should put your hands on a child not your own, but I also don't think it's that emotionally scarring.  On the other hand, I think that's a reasonable reaction.  I don't find it that far-fetched that someone would press charges.  I really dislike the "rich white person's idea of a problem" response. It's dismissive and insulting.

As a non-parent, i speak with no experience, but twice this yEar, ive been out eating lunch and been sat next to horribly behaving children where the parents did nothing to discipline them. NoT that i wanted them slapped, but when a small child screams for at least a half-hour, id hope you do something about it.

Im sure thiS is all kharma for beIng a bad kid, but ive blotted out mist of those memories. :)

The thing is, kids aren't idiots. They're just little people.

And once they work out you're not willing to throw a tantrum in public but they are... well... I kind of get why so many kids blow up in shopping malls, I guess. Which doesn't mean I enjoy being around it any more than anyone else does.

You guys getting so animated about this is absolute proof that the show is gonna blow the fuck up. I can only imagine what will happen when the general public gets ahold of it.

IMO, rather than America going crazy for this show and "taking sides" most people are just going to wonder what the big deal is, even the ones who think the guy is out of line.

The mom is simply too clueless and over-the-top for anyone to get behind her.

You guys getting so animated about this is absolute proof that the show is gonna blow the fuck up. I can only imagine what will happen when the general public gets ahold of it.

I think it is pretty awesome that these conversations are being had but I have no faith that this show will be some magical vehicle for social change.

And as mentioned before, folks familiar with the novel that the show is based on know that show will not be so much about the incident than it will be about the beliefs, personalities, and socialization of the people involved. 

We will discover to no surprise at all that fucked up people really are fucked up.

I'm sure there's been a movie that starts with the lead doing something bad. Then the villain comes after them for revenge, but they end up over-reacting and being so crazy and bloodthirsty,  the audience is in do doubt who the bad guy is.

Cape Fear?

I didn't say anything GOOD will come out of it, just that it'll be popular.

This Is Not Happening on Comedy Central after @Midnight on Thursday is a riot. Three comedians get up and tell a true story about their lives depending on the topic... tonight was "Romance". It's unrated so use your imagination. Some really wild shit on here.

• Like 1

The Slap was pretty bad but I guess you have to commend NBC for trying something out of the box. I don't see this show being a blip on the radar of America or causing any discussions outside of Comcast/Universal/NBC owned news and entertainment outlets and pro wrestling message boards.

The concept could have made for a great Curb Your Enthusiasm but Larry not actually slapping the kid, just and exaggerated fake slap that everyone thinks was real.

Im a bit slow on the technology side so can someone tell me is Amazon Prime the same kind of thing as Netflix?? I want to watch Bosch on it. Thanks in advance.

Basically.  They incorporated their instant video service into Prime a while back (it used to be just a discount on purchases and free upgraded shipping).  You subscribe to Prime, pay the fee, and get unlimited streaming video access.  I think they also now make things like their original series only available to Prime members.

• Like 1