DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

So, I pretty much refused to watch 'Fargo' when it premiered because I loved the movie so much that it just felt so wrong but the reviews were so good, I finally gave it a shot.  I'm two episodes in and loving it.  Billy Bob Thornton is so goofy-looking, but so intense that it's amazing.  Also love the former hockey player thug being named Semenko.

Binged on Halt and Catch Fire the last few days. Liked it. A lot. It has some issues - the occasional anachronistic phrasing, a tendency early on to force feed you technical stuff to establish credibility, some random events not really followed up on - but it still works. The cast is terrific and the characters feel authentic. And there are some great moments - when Joe walks into a conference room at Comdex '83 and sees the Macintosh for the first time and senses a paradigm shift in computing, that's a great moment. That resonates with me big-time because I remember that feeling myself - 11-year old Tabe seeing a Mac and having his mom drive him to computer stores just so he could play around with MacPaint. I'm happy to hear they've signed on for a second season and can't wait to see what they do with it. 8/10.

Do you watch Mad Men? Halt and Catch Fire was my biggest TV disappointment last year. I was so excited for it and it failed spectacularly. Such an obvious Mad Men clone and every episode just devolved into the same argument over and over between Joe and Gordon. Such terrible lines too ("I'm turning you on!" Ugh). I nearly jumped off after the ridiculous hurricane episode. From the subject matter, to the time frame, it should have been one of my favourite shows.

However.......

I am very happy its getting a second season. I did think it started hitting its stride with the last couple episodes, especially once they hit the expo. I'm glad they're working the Mac in and am interested to see how it affects the rest of the story, as I figured that the Giant was just going to be a Mac surrogate.

Hopefully they can keep the momentum from the really good last couple episodes and keep it going through a whole season. Honestly, if AMC wasn't so fucked for content right now, I doubt it would be back, especially with the ratings it got.

It's other big plus is that it has cool as shit opening credits.

Do you watch Mad Men? Halt and Catch Fire was my biggest TV disappointment last year. I was so excited for it and it failed spectacularly. Such an obvious Mad Men clone and every episode just devolved into the same argument over and over between Joe and Gordon. Such terrible lines too ("I'm turning you on!" Ugh). I nearly jumped off after the ridiculous hurricane episode. From the subject matter, to the time frame, it should have been one of my favourite shows.

However.......

I am very happy its getting a second season. I did think it started hitting its stride with the last couple episodes, especially once they hit the expo. I'm glad they're working the Mac in and am interested to see how it affects the rest of the story, as I figured that the Giant was just going to be a Mac surrogate.

Hopefully they can keep the momentum from the really good last couple episodes and keep it going through a whole season. Honestly, if AMC wasn't so fucked for content right now, I doubt it would be back, especially with the ratings it got.

I have not watched Mad Men, no.

There are definitely some misfires (like the line you mentioned, the carjacking, the hurricane) but it still just...worked...for me.

However.......

I have not watched Mad Men, no.

I may be off on this because I never watched MAD MEN straight through, but I think one of the things I like about it is that I don't have to.  I feel like the plot means little to me, except to need a few summary details to help interpret people's behavior at any one moment.  But so far what I do is catch any episode in any order and it works as a study of behavior and character types.

Like the story is less important than just observing these different personality inkblots in a glass case.

Holy shit we just flipped form season 2 to season 3 of TJ HOOKER and right away the title graphics are a huge upgrade.  From this:

hqdefseason2ault.jpg

to this
hqdefaultseason3.jpg

DAMN!!!!  Nothing says "The network has confidence in your ability to hold down the hot Saturday night at 9:00 spot" like new title graphics!!

And talk about sparing no expense.  The bad guys in this episode are Richard Lynch
screenshot25893.jpgYou know this guy!

and BILLY FUCKING DRAGO!!!!!
Billy_Drago.jpgYOU DEFINITELY KNOW THIS GUY!

and the episode also features 1980 MISS USA and MISS UNIVERSE and future BAYWATCH BABE Shawn Weatherly:

If you don't think she's a great actress, FF to 35 seconds into that and watch her project "I'm only mildly nauseated by Donnie Osmond rubbing on me while he sings "I just wanna stop" and stares directly into my eyes."  Now think of how you would project that.  Yeah.  She fucking nails it.

If all this isn't enough to convince you that you need to watch this, this is one of those "Heather Locklear has to go undercover as a "Flashdance/Solid Gold" dancer type episodes.  Like, in the 80s there were apparently these clubs where you went to watch fully clothed women do aerobics and it was totally ok and a thing that a 50 year old policeman would proudly do every evening

I was going to post a youtube supercut of just her ass-shaking scenes, and, of course, because of what the internet is, there is one.  But the guy who posted it appears to be literally some sort of ladies hosiery fetishist and I have to draw the line.  So instead here is the ABC promo with just enough Locklearian hotness to motivate you to START WATCHING TJ HOOKER!!

If you're wondering if the phrase "white slavery ring" comes up in this episode, the promo will answer that for you.

It does.

Note: William Shatner jumps onto the hood of 0 moving cars in this episode.  But he does that thing where he races a plane with his car and gets in front of it and then starts shooting at the pilot.

Last Week Tonight returned Sunday night and Oliver killed it again.

Agreed.

Surprised no one has mentioned how brilliant the most recent of It's Always Sunny was yet again.

I'm looking to get into Asian pastry too, namely doing Asian creampies.

Also Workaholics was really good too. They're fans of MMA, namely PRIDE.

James Franco will star in Hulu's Stephen King Adaptation of 11/22/63.

The book is good, but way too long. (Like, King insists on spending ages showing the character adjust to life in the 50s, when you just want to get to 1963.) Franco really wasn't what I pictured the protagonist looking like, but we'll see.

Anyone else think "The Slap" is going to be unintentionally hilarious?

The premise is...weird.

Obviously hitting a naughty kid that is not your own in a moment of rage isn't going to fly. But I don't know if it should wreck everyone's lives and tear apart the fabric of the community.

"You've scarred hm for life!"

No, honey. A slap will not scar him for life. Getting the police involved, suing someone and tearing your family apart over essentially nothing will, though.

I hope the mom is meant to be the villain of the show, and it's not some type of deal where we're supposed to see "her side" of it too.

Anyone else think "The Slap" is going to be unintentionally hilarious?

The premise is...weird.

Obviously hitting a naughty kid that is not your own in a moment of rage isn't going to fly. But I don't know if it should wreck everyone's lives and tear apart the fabric of the community.

I actually think it is a very interesting premise.   I think the people that complain about it is anti-corporal punishment show aren't looking at the bigger picture.

The kid he slaps is NOT HIS CHILD~! That is not punishment,  that is fucking battery and I don't care how much of a brat the kid is.. 

You also don't see the whole story behind the people by focusing only in the titular event.  The slapper is also a rich bully used to having his way and the parents of the kid are weak sauce and probably have no business raising a child..

I think the show looks to indict everyone, not defend them.  At least that is what the novel the show is based on does.

For a one episode thing in a drama series, it would be interesting. Desperate Housewives did a episode where Bree hit one of Linette's kids and Linette got mad.

Can you get a whole six or eight hour mini-series out of it though?

At some point people are going to be sitting at home going "Get over it! You know what nightmarish violence some kids in America are subjected to every day? Who cares about this?"

This isn't a problem. It's a rich white suburban person's idea of a problem.

• Like 1

I'd love it if it were like a weekly formula show where like, a different kid gets slapped each week.

Also, not to sound like a Sinbad skit, but when I was a kid, any familiar grown up in the neighborhood was allowed to snatch a knot in your ass for actin a fool.